Yakima Ace 5 Hitch Bike Rack

[Preview 1]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/05cc5d52-0dca-4665-818f-8e225e736f30.jpg

Yakima Ace 5 Hitch Bike Rack
Price: $119.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $17 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Mar 26 to Thursday, Mar 27) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Yakima Ace 5 Hitch Bike Rack) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Yakima Ace 5 Hitch Bike Rack) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Yakima - Google Shopping Ace 5 Hitch Bike Rack)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/18/2014 - $149.99 (Woot-off) - 4 comment(s)

1/13/2014 - $149.99 (Woot Plus)

Reviews from AutoAnything (with Video)

[youtube=IMgjTk5_W0A][/youtube]

Average reviews over at rei.com
[youtube=Tx0xYWMNSUc][/youtube]

I bought the 2 bike version a few weeks back on Woot!, and love it. Before, I had a trunk mount bike rack that would take 20 or 30 minutes to install. The Yakima Ace installs in under 5 minutes. I can remove the rack to go get a carwash or whatever and reinstall it really fast. In the 2 or 3 weeks I’ve had it installed, it seems very sturdy and my bike hasn’t moved, even at highway speeds (75/80 mph). The third mount point that locks in the vertical support means the bike isn’t going anywhere, even if you take off fast from a start or hit a speed-bump (both things I’ve done living in a community with lots of speed-bumps. All around, a great bike-rack.

I’m in. I’ve been looking for a hitch mounted bike carrier and given everything this offers and the reviews I have read and given the price it is being wooted, this is the ticket for my needs. One review gave it high marks except the tongue doesn’t lock into receiver. I figure I can use the bolt/lock from my boat trailer if I even need it. I doubt I will ever put five bikes on it but for the two or three we have this should work out well.

DON"T BUY IT: Rack shown hangs the bikes and they sway and scratch each other. I have the rack in the link below and it is much much better. http://www.ragepowersports.com/bicycle-products/2-2-platform-bike-carrier/

I find this intriguing as I was looking for bike rack stuff this weekend. Currently, I have a Schwinn bike rack that holds 4 bikes. One between the rack and the vehicle, and three more bikes on the other side/back of the rack. It works great except for the bike cradles/supports suck and are really difficult to latch. Hard plastic that really hurts your fingers. Sometimes they don’t latch and I have to use ropes/bungees to help. I looked into buying some nice cradles to replace these and I determined it would set me back $60. So, I see this deal and it looks appealing. At first glance, the title suggested it holds 5 bike racks. Then I looked closer at the picture and I thought it held only 3. The specs/description don’t find this worthy of mentioning. I have seen many products where a number in the name has nothing to do with a certain spec you might be thinking to which it pertains. I looked at the video review and now I think it holds 5 bikes, but it looks like they will be very close together and that might be difficult to get them on. Has anyone put 4 or more bikes on this rack?

If you are in the market for a multi-bike, hitch mounted carrier, you cannot go wrong with this Yakima. I bought the 2 bike rack a few weeks ago and could not be more pleased with the purchase. $5 shipping? Seriously - what a deal. Took longer to open the box than it did to install this piece of art. Once mounted, the bike are snug as a bug in a rug – no swaying, no bouncing. I am extremely confident in its design and function - no more checking the rear view mirror every 5 seconds, expecting the rack and/or a bike to have fallen off. A terrific deal on a terrific rack.

AND, in case you ever need it (which I doubt you will), the Yakima customer service is spot on. I had a small hiccup trying to register my rack online(this is a discontinued series, so you have to register it under another model - the Ridgeback), so I sent them an email. Got a friendly, very helpful response in 48 hours.

What more do you need??

Can anyone at Woot! or any other users confirm that this is to hold up to 5 bikes? Says nothing about number of bikes it holds in the description…

I bought mine a few weeks ago and it works very well. I’ve never had one of these before so I was nervous. It will not hold 5 bikes very well and I’d worry about the strength with 5 full size bikes loaded. I could get 4 on but with a lot of wiggling and positioning of handle bars and peddles. Also, you have to be careful that the bikes will actually fit over the cradles. My son’s bike is a mono-shock and will not fit so we had to mount it under the bottom support (makes me nervous). Another thing people have mentioned is the cradle straps are thick rubber and hard to pull tight unless you’re very strong. I normally use one or two bikes and have gotten very efficient at mounting the rack and the bikes. Usually can do so in about 5 mins. Oh, one more thing - the straps that hold the bikes’ wheels and handle bars are not easy to tighten. I’d suggest getting some good bungies for that.

I’m very close to picking this up. We do have 5 bikes to transport though (2 adult and 3 kids). Any and all reviews/insight would be GREATLY appreciated folks!

Will this work with a dual hitch receiver?

LOL, you are hardly comparing apples to apples. At $240.00 plus another 35.00 for shipping it is a very different design and at over twice the price of the Woot offering and I am not sure it is more than twice the value.

According to many Amazon user reviews, this holds 4 bikes comfortably and 5 bikes with tight fit. It got a 4.5/5 stars review and the ONLY negative review it got was someone having their own issue (not able to put 5 bikes on) and rate their frustration rather than the actual product.

Question of whether can hold 5 bikes:

Short Answer is “Not Really.” I have a Thule, Yakima and Hollywood Rack for 2 adults + 3 children. Over the years, I purchased different racks as the bike load increased (Thule most recently).

The bottom line is this: 2 adult road bikes take up a lot of room on the bars and the kid bikes (especially small ones) don’t mount well. You will need an external bar for the smaller bikes (or women’s bikes) and the way the external bars lift the bike up, it significantly decreases the available room for the 4th bike. 2 of the bikes are BMX styled so the external bars are necessary.

I’ve never successfully carried 5 bikes (2+3). A friend was able to “squeeze” 5 adults bikes but all 5 were hybrid road bikes with narrow wheels and smaller frames.

Funny thing about the swinging, as long as you mount the bikes front/rear/front/rear, the bikes become snug and all you need is some simple tie downs to keep the wheels from spinning.

Good luck on getting the 5th bike mounted. My little one’s bike is still small enough that I put it in the rear of my SUV on top of gear. Just sandwich a drop cloth and the 5th bike will be fine.

Same here, sans the actual usage part (it’s cold in the Midwest!) at least.

Really sturdy, and quick to install. I wanted a platform rack for the longest time but the 2-bike @ $90 was far too good a deal to pass up. Especially for the not-all-that-frequent usage it will see.

:frowning: Missed the deal

I was able to jump on this deal last minute, and glad. I’ve been shopping for a bike rack for the last couple weeks and was about to pull the trigger an an Allen brand 4-bike rack at walmart for $80+shipping. It was affordable and seemed sturdy. The yakima’s and Thule’s were just way out of my price range. Then I found this deal and did not hesitate. I’m not a hardcore biker just needed a rack to carry the family bikes on our outings but at the same time wanted quality at an affordable price. For the price you paid on this deal, you can sell on craigslist and make a little extra if you wanted to. Just saying.