Yamaha 5.1 Ch Receiver with 3D Blu-ray

You don’t have to hate us. We don’t make 'em, we just sell 'em.

Where is the subwoofer port?

Not sure what Bugatti you’re talking about…

i obviously love woot

i just hate it because you had the klipsch speakers and i had to search for a receiver, would have been kinda nice if you sold this right after the speakers. I would have probably also bought it here versus on ecost.

Anyone know if you can stream Netflix wirelessly on this?

Will I be able to connect speakers to this player that have proprietary cables from a different setup ie. Sony 5.1 HTS 380?

No, you will not be able to use those speakers. They are 3 Ohm speakers and the lowest load that this “receiver” can accept looks to be 6 Ohms. You would want to use 6 or 8 Ohm speakers with this. Most speakers on the market that are sold separate from a receiver are 8 Ohms. You should be able to find this information on the back of the speaker.

Ω = Ohm

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, I knew it was a gamble getting a setup like that…

There are two inputs, however, they are both audio-only. You would still need to send the video signal to the TV via another cable.

For instance, if you have a cable box that you want to setup with this, you would need to send the audio to this unit via a digital coax or optical cable and send the video to the TV via a HDMI or other video cable.

As an alternative, you could use a HDMI cable from your cable box to your TV and then a coax or optical cable from your TV to this unit. Two possible issues: First, some TVs (albeit probably not most) do not support this solution in any way. Second, the TVs that do support the setup above generally only send a stereo or Dolby pro-logic signal to the Receiver. You wouldn’t get the full 5.1 experience this way.

Bottom line is that this unit would be fine for a bedroom, office, etc. I would not suggest it for your primary home theater.

If you put a pair of 3 ohm speakers in series then it should be 6 ohms. So you’d end up with 2 speakers per channel rather than 1. So for the 5.1, you’d be able to use 4 of the speakers doubled up in series and have 1 speaker left over. You’d then either need 3 6-8 ohm speakers to finish, or another full set of the 3 ohm speakers and just double them all.

Waste not-want not. While it might be nicer looking and fit your room better to use a single 6-8 ohm speaker per channel, that wouldn’t prohibit you from using 2 3 ohm speakers per channel.

I did this with an old set that had 4 ohm speakers while the system did 8 ohm. Just put the speakers in series. and had less new speakers to get for the system.

You basically go positive from the receiver to positive on one of the speakers, connect the negative from that speaker to the other speaker’s positive, and then the negative from the other speaker to the negative of the receiver.

ARC is an HDMI 1.4 only feature. Need to check your TV specs carefully. Not a problem for any decent new TV.

That is the major problem with a lot of the cheaper HTIB systems.

This system wouldn’t be much of a step up from your Sony anyway. If you are crunched for cash, I would look at replacing your speakers first (8 Ohm speakers would work with it - though they might not be as loud). Then when you have the cash, you can get a “real” receiver to power them.

Not wireless, no. it does have a wired ethernet jack though and I guess you could get an aftermarket wired to wireless adapter though. I have one of these and it is not intended to replace a much larger full blown AV receiver. This entire unit is only a few inches tall which makes it very nice for a bedroom setup or in installations where you simply do not have room for multiple components. Only only HDMI connection, yes… What, do you have some ancient TV with only 1 HDMI input? It does support ARC to get audio back to the receiver over the HDMI connection, if your TV does not support ARC but does have HDMI then it probably has an optical digital audio out (or coax). The receiver has both optical and coax digital inputs.

I have ours setup with a 47" Vizio and Uverse box and it works great. I have HDMI from both this and the Uverse box to the TV and the uverse box has an optical digital audio out which I have to the receiver which works perfect. Keep in mind, not all cable boxes or TV’s also have a digital audio out and even if your TV does it might not support true digital 5.1 over it. It does have an ethernet jack and I also have that connected. When connected it can download firmware updates as well as stream Youtube and Netflix (subscription required for Netflix). The streaming is excellent and works well. I also have a Windows media server on our home network which uses DNLA and the Yamaha sees that and can play any of the content from that as well. DVD/BR performance is great, fairly quick loading. No it does not have slo-mo but I’ve come to realize that I never really use that or care. I have it connected to Monitor Audio in-ceiling fronts and rears, a Monitor Audio center under the TV and and active sub. It is more than plenty loud for the 22x14 room I have it setup in. The FM tuner also works very well.

Another poster asked about a TV tuner. No, and I cannot say I’ve ever seen a stereo that does have one.

Overall I’m very happy with it but it. The couple of biggest things I dislike, no bass/treble control and very limited “surround” functions for non-surround sources. So your ability to adjust the sound to your liking is a bit limited. It does have Pro Logic 2 and Neo 6 for non-surround sources though.

This may be my lucky day. I ordered the Klipsch Quintet from Woot and they just arrived last night. I was going out today to shop for an amplifier and cables/wires. Is this a sign that I should stay home and Woot? My TV is a 60" Sharp Aquos, cable is Uverse and we have the XBOX 360 Kinect. Please help me - I am a professed noob. But I am also a wannabe geek.

I would not buy this based on your above equipment. It’s best suited for a simple set up for watching movies via blue ray and listening to music.
Your xbox already plays blue ray, so go out and spend the same amount of money on a full blown home theater receiver. Onkyo would be my suggestion.

How about HULU plus?

if your TV has one, you hooks its digital audio out to the BD receiver. so, when watchign a move, the receiver plays the audio, and sends the video to the TV. when watching any other device, that device sends both the audio and video to the TV, then the TV sends it to the receiver. not the most fluid setup, but has worked well for me when i was setup that way.

I also have a 671. This has a blu-ray player. You need to add a whole lot of space and cables if you get a 671 and a bluray. This is smaller and more compact.

Connect the set top box to the TV, then run a digital audio out from the TV or STB to the receiver. However, many TVs will not strip the Dolby Digital info from an HDMI connection for output to a receiver (my Philips won’t), so you’d probably be better off running a digital audio cable direct to the receiver.

IMO, this is NOT a good deal. For $200 you can get an entry level Denon receiver and then add the Blu-Ray player of your choice. You’ll likely stay right around this price and have a far superior setup.

This is inaccurate, PS3 can play BluRay, XBox can not.