Yamaha 7.2-channel Network AV Receiver

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Yamaha 7.2-channel Network AV Receiver
Price: $224.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Tuesday, Feb 13 to Friday, Feb 16) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Yamaha 7.2-channel Network AV Receiver) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Yamaha 7.2-channel Network AV Receiver) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Yamaha - Google Shopping 7.2-channel Network AV Receiver)

Wow. How times/things have changed. Looking at the backend of this AV Receiver and looking at my Yamaha 2600 is a world of difference. Cost, and mine weights in @ 38lbs and this is 17. Guess having blue tooth must make it lighter. Like mine made my wallet ligther. Think I dropped around $1200 for mine when it came out. So, FWIW, my unit is over 10 years old and has never had a problem, Yamaha makes some pretty good units.

https://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/5/a/yamaha-rx-v2600-7-1-channel-natural-sound-thx-receiver-56e37a6687cd1d91a987f9845e15b1bf.jpg

New and improved:

I agree…my Yamaha Receiver has lasted well over the past 10 years and it looks like your photo. Mine came out right before they had HDMI integrated so this would be a welcome upgrade to be honest. Price is pretty good too.

May need to talk the wife into getting this as a birthday present for me. :slight_smile:

Good comparison! Just want to point out that your unit, bigger and heavier, is likely made from much higher quality base components, like the circuit boards, transformers, capacitors, diodes, transistors, ICs, etc. Yes, there has been some progress in the past ten years on making these components lighter and smaller but still reliable and good quality. But there has also been a general trend toward using cheaper, lower quality electronic components inside the box. So your ten year old unit might be better and more reliable than this brand new one. Note the “factory refurbished” part. That’s likely units that were DOA brand new out of the box. And that doesn’t inspire confidence in the quality of the product.
I have a Yamaha 80w/ch stereo receiver that’s 31 years old and still works same as new. No, it doesn’t have any digital features like the new ones. But I’m pretty sure these new receivers won’t still be working 30 years from now.

You can buy a new one on line for less than this price.

Agree that the cost cutting trend generally results in lower quality components. Refurbished does not necessarily indicate a DOA item. Could be a return due to just buyer’s remorse.

Links or it didn’t happen.

Also a refurb, but $199 with $8 shipping.

found cheaper one online for $199:

I’ve got R-N301BL which seems to be a lower end version of this (stereo only, inferior remote control app, etc) and it’s been nothing but a pleasure for me. I can only imagine the firmware on this thing is a variant of the one I’ve got. It still regularly gets updates as the various protocols release changes – I’ve gotten one within the last couple months.

I read several places that suggested the Yamaha wireless modules are completely worthless, but that’s fine because you can just get a TP-Link N150 for about $20 and run it in client mode if you have issues.

The spotify client works pretty well, but occasionally my phone will stop being able to see it. Just have to power the stereo off and back on and all is well. I’ve used the AirPlay client a couple times but I’m an android house so that’s not that useful to me. Sadly mine (and according to the description, this unit) does not support Chromecast, but that’s easily rectifiable by buying a $20 Chromecast Audio.

Having a physical remote that lets you control spotify and other network app audio is pretty nice.

Yamaha amp audio and build quality are as good as ever. I’m sure they’ve reduced the quality of the interior components somewhat but I’m not convinced that actually matters. In my view, the QC is good enough that any problem installations tend to be caught early. Worst case, if you get a bad unit to your door, you would just return for another. I can’t imagine a unit that works out of hte box would develop any issues over the long term.

Haha… actually, not funny - yet another reason to detest Google search gamery.

Searched:

“yamaha 5810”

And the first deal at the top of the page was this Woot deal.

Searched:

“costco yamaha 5810”

And the above mentioned better deal for $199 + $8.99 shipping (vs this Woot $224.99 + $5 shipping) was the first deal displayed: (Same Manufacturer refurb and Manufacturer 1-year warranty.)

(Aside: the reason for the Costco search was I recalled them having a deal on a Yamaha receiver (new) for $329. But that was the TSR-5830, not this TSR-5810.)

A question:
With this receiver and the proper speakers, does the source being played, i.e. movie, have to be specially encoded to have the DTS:X™ and Dolby Atmos work?

Virtually every new version of Dolby is reverse compatible… you just don’t get their latest geewhiz sound “improvement”. The receiver will play the “highest” version of Dolby it can find on the source material and in some cases will simulate the extra geewhiz.

Also, seeing a lot of refurbs on the sales channels you happen to witness does not necessarily mean the product is less reliable than others.

Different companies have different refurb sales channels and some might even run them to other markets.

Costco and Sams generate a lot of “buyers remorse” returns due to longer return grace periods, so while I don’t recall seeing this model there, that could also impact the refurb ‘noise volume.’

The key thing I’d focus on - does the manufacturer back their refurb with a warranty similar to their new product?

So, older movies will benefit little when using this receiver?

Not saying that at all. Only that it will be compatible with previous Dolby standards… and might improve the sound via conversion/processing to simulate later standards… depending on the source media version of Dolby.

In any case, concerns about compatibility with previous Dolby standards should not be a reason to avoid this receiver!

Totally correct

it’s also possible that it was a demo unit in a retailer like Bestbuy or Fry’s and they refreshed the shelves and had to take 'em back, and clean 'em up.