Yamaha TSR-7850R 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver

Yamaha TSR-7850R 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver

I picked this up last time it was offered. Running 4 speakers in stereo in the garage and outdoor patio. I plan on hooking up more. Showed up quickly and looked brand new. It did have some refirb paperwork from Yamaha, but I saw zero signs of use. Sounds great, picture is great with the HDMI switching. App is really nice and I plan to get a second zone going with a separate source.

3 Likes

I got this a couple of offerings ago and have been very happy with it so far. Like aostehut mine looks brand new also. I am running a 5.2.2 set up (surround speakers, 2 subwoofers and 2 rear atmos/presence in-ceiling speakers and it sounds great. I am running a ShieldTV, FireTV, PC and RokuTV through the unit and the HDMI auto switching works nicely.

1 Like

when they say works with “Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more” do they mean the free versions or the premium paid versions?

Would I need graphic equalizer to run a turntable or does it have the capability already.

What month and year are these inputs? (hint: seems like some Excel formatting issues…)

Component Video Input/Output Jan-00

Digital Audio Input / Output: Optical Feb-00
Digital Audio Input / Output: Coaxial Feb-00
Analog Audio Input / Output 5 (front 1) / 0
Composite Video Input / Output Jan-00

Oh well, wait, it has this special mode, so all is forgiven:
Party Mode Yes

1 Like

This has a ‘phono’ input in the back, so it already has a turntable pre-amp in the receiver.
If your turntable has a built-in pre-amp, you’d want to turn it off.

A graphic equalizer could be added to adjust sound to your room acoustics if desired, though it has nothing to do with the phonograph.

2 Likes

This has a Phono input meaning it will support a turntable with a regular “cartridge” – this is actually superior to some of the new turntables which have their own internal phono amps or USB output. A lot of new “consumer” HDMI receivers don’t even have a phono input, so this is a plus for this unit (Yamaha generally is a good cross between good audio features and reasonable price, features, and availability).

This has a lot of nice features if you are looking for a decent brand with a mix of handy current-generation features.

[Edit] BTW you shouldn’t ever ‘need’ a graphic equalizer to use a turntable. The equalizer is just for adjusting levels of high/mid/low frequencies, usually to compensate for speakers or room characteristics, or an uneven input source. You may be thinking of “phono equalization” which is a special ‘curve’ applied to the phono input. Since this has a phono input, it should already have that as part of the input (you don’t need to do anything; the phono input always works that way.)

1 Like

And Kudos to those who saw that joke coming from 100 miles away :wink:

Shouldn’t that be 100 YARDS away?

2 Likes

It should work with either, depending on what kind of account you have.

Whoops. Excel strikes again. We’re fixing it.

OMG THATS A BETTER PUNCHLINE DANGIT

2 Likes

Does this feature mean I have to wait for it to boot up like every other “smart” device?

Can I return this if I’m unhappy with it? I’ve never bought anything like this on Woot. If it is too “refurbished” looking or if it does not fit on my soon to be delivered enternatinment unit I want to have the option to return it.

Hello. Yes you can. We have a 30-day return policy.

Here’s our return policy:

https://www.woot.com/faq?ref=w_ft_bs_rp#what-is-woots-return-policy

I bought one of these from a different merchant at MSRP and loved it so much that when it came up on WOOT the last time, I grabbed one there too. They work great. I’ve got one at my home setup with ATMOS (7.1) and the second at the farm - currently running at 3.1 but I’m installing the rear and surrounds this evening so it will be at 7.1 also. The flexibility of this unit is great - and the “self tuning” of the speakers (using the provided microphone) makes tuning the speakers to the room a real no-brainer (it literally took what I used to spend an hour doing and made it happen (perfectly) in 45 seconds). The Yamaha controller app is great and really makes the remote control almost unnecessary. I run TV through the system (Comcast (yuck) and YouTube TV), use my SiriusXM account, and also listen to a ton of internet radio. Oh, and I also use it with Amazon Music. I would recommend this to anyone in the market for an A/V receiver.

2 Likes

What about HDR? Does this receiver have it, or is it even necessary on a receiver?

That’s a good question. it is listed in the specs:
5 / 2 (HDCP 2.2, HDR10 / Dolby Vision / HLG and BT.2020 compatible)

This is interesting:

How Do I Know Which HDR Formats My Receiver Supports?

In 2015, HDMI version 2.0 was updated to HDMI 2.0a specifically to add support for the HDR10 format, which uses static metadata. For that reason, an AVR with an HDMI version earlier than HDMI 2.0a will not be able to pass through HDR10 high dynamic range video.

Unlike HDR10, the Dolby Vision HDR format is more HDMI-agnostic. Dolby Vision is also different in that it uses dynamic metadata that varies on a frame-by-frame basis. And since the Dolby Vision HDR metadata gets embedded with the video signal, it’s backward-compatible with HDMI versions extending back to HDMI 1.4b.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-do-i-know-which-hdr-formats-my-receiver-supports#rbqzzhtkguJC7OHM.99

Timfalk is only slightly confused about phono inputs and equalization. A phono cartridge input really does need equalization, but it’s built into the input and it’s fixed. A graphic equalizer isn’t necessary.

Mine came the other day… I had a really difficult time getting it set up to talk to my wifi network. And Yamaha’s documentation is… a bit lacking. Mine came with firmware version 1.65, which the Yamaha site says is the current version for this model of receiver. This is not correct. It turns out that the most recent firmware is 1.72, which the device knows how to find if you plug it in to a wired connection. Once I updated the firmware there was no difficulty getting it to connect to the wifi network and talk to the musiccast app.