YardForce 12-Inch 13-Amp Leaf Shredder

So what do you do with shredded leaves that you can’t do with unshredded leaves? Is this for stuffing your leaf bags more densely? Does this decompose better in a compost pile? For mulching? I’m not sure…

I think all the reasons you just listed are plausible. Hopefully someone with more leaf shredding experience can hop in and do some 'splainin.

Here is a review from Home Depot (5 star)

Shredded leaves take up far less space than non-shredded leaves. I think it’s about 12 to one. So, by passing the leaves through the shredder first, you have less bags to fill and a lot less work to do. Moreover, shredding the leaves is quite easy and sort of fun…you may like it.

For those wondering what this is for or why use one? - The answer is to reduce the volume by 1/12: this thing turns 12 bags of leaves into a single bag.

It’s “girl friendly” too as this very pretty woman shows us: click to see video or here here

I have one and I’ve been using it for a year. It does a great job of shredding dry leaves.
And the reason shredded leaves are useful in the landscape is that they are 1) compact and attractive, 2) they stop blowing around and stay put, 3) they discourage weed germination and 4) they decompose more quickly to enrich the soil naturally. Shredded leaves also work great in the compost pile.

The disadvantage of this is that it can’t handle more than the very VERY thinnest and driest twigs. This means either diligently removing them before you feed leaves into the hopper or frequently changing the nylon lines that do the shredding.

I am glad to have mine even at full price and I recommend this for gardeners who like natural decorative elements, free mulch and rich healthy soil.

Shreded leaves do decompose faster. But looking at last picture, how short are the strings compared to the diameter where they work? It seems they cover only half of space for mulching. And no mention about capability to brake twigs. Do you have to, first, separate leaves from twigs?

I’m not confident I understand all of your question but, yes, you do need to separate leaves & twigs.

As for the nylon line that shreds the leaves, it’s at the bottom of that funnel shaped hopper and above the opening that’s probably about 20" or so in diameter. The line feeds into 2 arms that rotate above the opening that drops directly on the ground or feeds into bags or containers you have to supply. It takes sections of nylon line that may be about 18" long and double up on each side of the arm.

For our California, Washington, and Colorado Wooters…

Does this separate the Stems, sticks and seeds?

Look back at all the ridiculous crap you bought and think of a truckload of 100 bills. That could of been yours.

This will help keep those thieves from stealing your trees’ identities.

I got those leaf blower that could be reversed to suck in the leaves, shred them, and the blow it out to a cloth bag or a attachment to the garbage can. That one does chop small twigs up, but it also gets stuck if the twig is too big.

This one looks like it is gravity fed, so it seem to go down pretty slow.

Any advantages that this one offer over the sucking ones offered from leaf blowers?

The composted leaf mulch produced & sold by the Arlington County, VA dept. of public works is highly sought after and sells out immediately on "opening day. The secret is mixing the composted leaves from neighborhood collections with the dried leftover from the solid waste treatment plant, which has been autoclaved. The combination will grow some pretty impressive stuff!

This thing reminds me of something called a “Bud Trimmer” for some reason. Must be the time of year.

EDIT: My buddy who owns a machine shop said he is going to build add-on kits to convert these to bud trimmers - put him on a Kickstarter campaign!

I used to blow leaves and pick them up. Then I realized I was wasting a bunch of time and I could just use my lawnmower to shred them and spread them over the grass. Insta-fertilizer.

That’s what I do when I am lazy, and I just run the lawn mower over the sidewalk/driveway where it will vacuum it up and spit it out into the catch bag at the same time.

Creates thatch and chokes out the grass

1. Unshredded leaves take years to decompose into compost, while shreded takes months or even weeks in the right conditions.
  2. unshredded leaves when put down as “mulch” will kill your garden by blocking water and oxygen, while shredded leaves will allow both to pass through and more quickly decompose into nutrients.
  3. shredded leaves fit into a smaller space, so you can get more compost out of a smaller pile.
  4. shredded leaves look nicer than unshredded when used as mulch.

Hehe, she said “Smulches” (at :08 mark)

1-1/2 In. Capacity Amp Chipper Shredder Sale: $119.99

http://blog.harborfreight.com/chipper-shredders-on-sale/3393/