Your Choice: Adj Laptop Desk/Bed Tray

Same question as a few others, fan or vent?

I want to go with the fan version, but from the pics, the “clips” look potentially fragile compared to the vented version which appears to have a raised bar the full length across the bottom. I could see that being more useful for stabilizing non-laptop items than the two clips. It is hard to tell from the pictures though. Anyone able to comment on either type, and their preference? Thanks!

By comparison to the pictures posted on wayfair, the rubber bar comes in the same tray color which is more appealing than what’s posted on woot where it’s always black, though both have the same model A6.
Does anyone know if there are two different models like that?

My bargain shopper inner self says to get the fan version since its extra features for same price.
My logical inner self says that my laptop never over heats anyways so why would I waste battery power on extra fans and the vented version is probably better ventilated than the fans at rest.
And my husband inner self says my wife is gonna be mad i wasted money on this so i’m gonna buy it for her as a Christmas present and use it when she’s sleeping.

I have the vented version and I love mine. I mainly use it either in bed or extended to full height so I can use it while sitting on the couch. We’ve found it works as a handy extra table for books, food, etc. in front of the tv when I’m not using it with a computer.

I have a massive 16" gaming laptop and the stand holds it just fine. There definitely isn’t room to use a mouse too, but surely that’s why sofas have arms, right? I’m not a visual person, so it was a little tricky to figure out what angles all of the joints should be at when I first got it (it doesn’t help that one of my joint dials is offset by 15 degrees), but it comes with a helpful guide with some suggestions for various configurations, which I still wind up using every time I change my set up.

For whomever was wondering, it does indeed fold flat for storage or use on a table.

This is my favorite buy hands down from woot.com I work from home and use it as a “docking station” and connect an external keyboard to use it and it has helped my posture a lot. In the summer, I change the settings so I can sit in a low rider lawn chair outside. I used it with my 17" and it was pushing the limits but worked.

Has anyone used this in the car? It would be great for the passenger seat if it fits.

Edit: I specifically have the unit without the cooling fan.

So I got one of these things last Christmas and I just wanted to share my strangely mixed experiences with it.

So the many different positions you can put this thing in is a pretty cool feature. But I have a lot of trouble adjusting the individual legs to be at exactly the same angle. This product is not for clumsy people. Bringing me to problem #2: in some positions it’s EXTREMELY easy to knock this thing over, catapaulting your computer to the ground. As a result, I let guests doing homework at my place use it while I’m using my desk, but I never use it myself.

In short: cool product, but kind of awkward to adjust and sometimes easy to knock over.

Active cooling is always better than passive cooling. I’m in for the fan version.

Also… if you really wanted vents, I don’t see what would stop you from grabbing a drill and adding them yourself.

Couple questions related to the fact that it is made out of aluminum.

1. Does it get shocky w/ static electricity if on a bed w/ fuzzy blankets ?

2.Does it give a finger-nails-on-chalkboard kind of thing when something scrapes against it ? ( think spiral notebook or phone or fingernails)

1. Can it withstand a cat jumping up on top of it ? Or will that cause it to collapse ?
    Yes, I read the legs lock, but factor in a 14 pound tabby playing. Or even a more dainty 7 pound static bomb wonder.
    The computer can take it. But will the
    stand ?

Thank you . Please feel free to also throw in answers to questions I forgot to ask. As long as you also indicate what the question is duh=p

i picked up one without the fan a few months ago from an amazon lightning sale, nice tray. i picked up 3 of them with the fan from woot a few months ago, sold one to a friend and gave one as a gift. they are very good trays. just be sure you don’t sit your ass down on one, it won’t hold you up. but for your laptop or tablet, they are great!

I have one of these and it’s the greatest! Only the fan option was available then, but I seldom use it. Love being able to use my laptop when I’m forced to spend time flat on my back. All these need is some kind of clip-on or slide-out mouse pad extension and they would be perfect!

I absolutely love mine! I have the vent version, as I haven’t ever really used the fans I have previously purchased for my laptops. I have a bad back and have difficulty working on my computer when it goes out - I spend a lot of time laying on the floor at work in meetings or dictating to people about what we should do (good thing I’m in management!). This desk had made a huge difference - now I can do a lot more computer work and not fall behind. It works great as an elevated platform when I want to work standing as well. I love all of the options for how to position it.

Thank you for your extremely helpful comment. I’m a comp sci major nearing graduation, and I program a lot. I had actually been thinking of trying to build my own lap/chair desk, but this sounds like a good solution!

Is the holder bar across bottom made of rubber? My giftee has a latex allergy

This is an excellent device- maybe the most useful non-electrical tech device ever devised by human beings.

You’d probably get a faster answer directly from Furinno.

Here’s their Contact Page.

They also just tweeted about it a bit ago @FURINNO

Will this stand make me punch myself in the face as it appears the man is doing in the image?

This does look pretty cool. I recently put together a stand-up desk addition with some random Ikea products… I’ve got some old [gigantic] [HP] stand/docking station holding my [Dell] laptop, and I’m using a cardboard box to raise a second monitor to the right height. It seems like two of these might do the job and take up less space.

Although even on sale they seem a little pricey to me… I think I could make some decent wood stands (even an adjustable one for the laptop) for less than $20. These would look way cooler though… hmm, tempting.

Also, it looks to me that the “bar” across the front of the vented tray is just part of the main tray bent up around. It doesn’t look like rubber or anything else. But I could be seeing things. EDIT: Oh, the woot pics are different… I see what they’re talking about now.

Side note: How is it that the MFG page says they are only $53, but Wayfair thinks they are worth $80?? I’ll never understand why that happens so much… people can’t do a little bit of simple research before posting products?

Any staff reading this crap? Can I change my choice or is it too late? Thanks!

Woot does it again. Yesterday I was agonizing over a Christmas gift for my husband. He always gets me the most cool or romantic things ever and my gifts always suck.

Presently, he is working in California and lives out of a small hotel room. Until I can sell my house (which will never happen) I’m stuck in Alabama.

Anyway, point is that he has NO ROOM for anything. I was so depressed because I couldn’t think of anything useful I could get him that wouldn’t take up room. That’s a really difficult decision!

Then lo and behold, THIS! He is always complaining how his fans burn out because he’s in bed with his laptop. This is like, I don’t know, a gift from God or something. lol!

I’m not getting the one with the fans because then what happens when the fans stop working? He can still have a cooling pad with this, but now they won’t get blocked or anything due to covers.

Thank you Woot! You are simply wootalicious!

ETA: I loved this so much I got one for me too. Yeah I know, some gift when I buy one for me too! lol!