Yukon Outfitters 58-Piece Survival Kit

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Yukon Outfitters 58-Piece Survival Kit
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Nov 18 to Thursday, Nov 19) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://sport.woot.com/offers/yukon-outfitters-58-piece-survival-kit-19) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Yukon Outfitters 58-Piece Survival Kit) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Yukon - Google Shopping Outfitters 58-Piece Survival Kit)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
10/30/2015 - $99.99 - Click To See Discussion (22 comments)
10/28/2015 - $99.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)
10/9/2015 - $99.99 - Click To See Discussion (26 comments)

9/25/2015 - $99.99 (Woot Plus)
4/29/2015 - $99.99 (Woot Plus)
4/27/2015 - $99.99 (Woot Plus)

Check out the product page

Comments/Discussion from a Dec. 2014 sale

I suppose I’m qualified to give an opinion on these since I’ve bought a bag on two separate occasions and recently took a wilderness survival class.

I’m strictly a rank amateur at all this stuff, but I liked the fact that these bags give you a starting point.

Construction has been pretty good, I’ve added a lot of stuff in the two bags I have (one for “by the bed” the other “in the trunk”). The biggest thing missing here is water and food.

For most people looking for a basic kit, go ahead and buy this. You won’t get screwed and it gives you a head start.

Augment it with:

• two oval “climbing” carabiners
  • hammock “hang straps”
  • a silver mylar emergency blanket
  • as many plain-old water bottles as you can
  • a bunch of “S.O.S. Emergency Food Rations”

This means in case of interruption of services you’ll have some water (not nearly enough, but something), some food, and something to hang your hammock from / with.

Otherwise you’ll have a hammock you don’t know how to use/set up, and nothing to eat or drink.

No survival bag can cover 100% of the earth’s surface using stuff you can carry on your back. If you’re near woods, take advantage of the woods, if it tends to get cold, add a wool blanket. Modify this pack to fit your needs or buy it as a security blanket because you don’t know what you’re doing and want to do something. Buy two and practice using all the stuff in one of them.

At the end of the day you end up with a decent backpack ($20+), random crap ($20), and the hammock/rain-fly ($20). No matter how you look at it’s not a terrible deal.

–Robert

You say “At the end of the day you end up with a decent backpack ($20+), random crap ($20), and the hammock/rain-fly ($20). No matter how you look at it’s not a terrible deal.”

I am trying to figure out your math. $20 + $20 + $20 = $60 so wouldn’t that make it a terrible deal when it is being sold for $100?

LOL ^^

Can you be more specific ?

Mostly agree but a few suggestions.

First, If you buy the backpack, the rainfly and the hammock separately on the separate yukon sale, it will cost you $85. Granted these might be different models but I think you under estimated the cost of those items.

Second,your survival class should have included water purification --mine did. Instead of including many bottles of water, include one refillable water bottle and a purification filter (can be part of the bottle), a way to boil water and a backup purification method. The ideal is to have a way to kill or remove both bio agents and particulates. BTW the backpack includes a hydration bladder so the bottle is mostly needed for filtration and possibly boiling–if the bottle is designed to take the heat.

I believe the miscellaneous supplies include a fire starting kit, but it never hurts to add another method as a backup. There is already a mylar blanket included. As you know, best use is to reflect heat from a fire into your sleeping area. A knife that doesn’t fold is good to add.

I suggest something other than those food bars-I brought a set out of curiosity and judging from the nutrition, you could get the same nutrition healthier with a bag of nuts and a bag of dried fruit. Of course, the emergency bars you mention do have a longer shelf life–so those are good if you don’t intend to actually use any of the gear.

Nice review on the main items. I haven’t brought this kit and it is nice to hear from someone who owns the items and have tested them out.

Edited to add: forgot the obvious. . .you’ll need to add either a sleeping bag or a sleep sack and a change of clothes.

I bought this pack the last time it came up on Woot. This is a great pack, however the description and mages are wrong/misleading. The bag doesn’t have a “padded laptop sleeve” and is not suitable for carrying a laptop. There is no padding on the bottom, or sides leaving your laptop completely unprotected.

I contacted Yukon Outfitters for clarification and received no response. Disappointed.

If it’s advertising a padded laptop area, they’re probably referring to the area where the water bladder would be located. Meaning, you either carry a small laptop there, or the bladder.

Every time I see one of these “survival deals”, it makes me think of the Walking Dead episode, where they found the zombie hanging from the noose, out in the woods. These will get you just far enough to get into trouble.

Good report Rob. I’m no survival expert either and it takes TIME and experience to find what works and doesn’t work. I’ll leave my military background at the door and base my views on the platform that I’ve been involved with boy scouts since 97 and I teach both the camping/hiking/wilderness survival merit badge. I’ve learned what gimmicks work and what doesn’t. Though I watch a lot of reality survival shows, my favorite is still survivor man, then dual survival next with Joe and Matt, those clowns are too funny but too extreme for most. It would be nice to see them take a bag like this and put it to the test.

As you pointed out, it’s a starting point. Some important items is hygiene kit items (most from the dollar store), toilet paper or wetwipes that can double as a quick field shower. There are MANY online kit lists but like I said, if you don’t use these items in a training environment, when you need them and they don’t perform, it’s too late to get a RMA and send it back. Even if it’s in your pack yard, or down the road from a WalMart, break this stuff out and set it up.

I keep a 2 person, extended bug out bag at the house. It tips the scale @ 50lbs. The emergency water packets, emergency food is the bulk of the weight but I have packed, unpacked, repacked many times to get the weight down. Decided I didn’t need 2 flashlights plus a lantern. It was only me, I wouldn’t need all the stuff but it was built with the wife in mind and no, the feminine napkins don’t weight much but they do take up space LOL. I keep a bag in my car and one for the office. These are much smaller and only designed for sheltering in place (car) or “get me home”.

Don’t just make up these bags and toss them in the closet. Take them out every few months, replace any items that have an expiration date. Check/replace batteries. I mean really, how many of you have a generator sitting in your garage that hasn’t been fired up for a year much less plugged in to test? Being prepared for an emergency is more then buying items sitting them on the shelf. Taking a few classes and going out for the weekend to put your skills to the test can be fun, rewarding and could save you or your loved ones life. Do it as a group and everyone can bring something to the table.

There’s room so I wou�֮�ecommend these items:

Water purifier vs Filter. I use a purifier. It’s harder to drink from but it keeps the nastys away.

1. Knife The one provided doesn’t look very rugged. Nice thing about this knife is, it’s got a backup fire starter and sharping stone. I wish I had ordered two.
  2. Power Pot Eat and generate power for rechargeable batteries, gps or laterns
  3. Poncho Lots of uses. Rain gear, tent, tarp, sleeping bag (get a liner if you want a somewhat waterproof sleeping bag. Plus it will cover you backpack to keep it dry as well.
  4. Emergency Bivy 2nd choice Emergency Bivy another option when you don’t have time to string your hammock, you fall into a creek and need to get warm fast or you just need some extra warmth and want something light.

For the most part, everything else in the bag is ok. The flashlight/latern isn’t my 3rd choice but is fine. I had one like this from Eddie Bauer. Lasted 3 campouts then died. Get a good Ray-o-vac headlamp and/or heavy duty mini flashlight. And as for the water bladder, nice to carry when empty but don’t fill it with water and leave it in your car or stored for a more then a few days. Water does go bad unless you treat it. Get some of those emergency water pouches to hold you over till you find a good water source (trusted). Shelter, Water, Fire. In my experience, those most important items to be able to produce.

A water purification filter is always my first item I think about for emergencies.

This is something I always think about, all those generators (home units and those on RV’s) people own have to be run at least once a month for about 1/2 hour. I wonder how many actually do this? If not, the gas turns to gunk and the generator will not work and will need to be repaired.

Agree. I ended up having a central hookup done in my garage, 10 foot cord to get the genset away from the house/door. I run it every other month for an hour, under full load. I have 10 circuits setup that covers all the vital outlets in the house. I keep a 2500watt inverter genset in the basement that I drag out and run at the same time (outside of course). People stow their emergency gear out in the garage most of the time and in the event of a tornado, it might just blow away with the house so it’s best to keep it in the basement or lower then ground level storage locker. I have even converted my big genset to burn LPG and NG. Works fine. It’s tank is 8 gal of gas which I keep treated with sea foam to keep the steel tank and parts from rusting alone with keeping the gas fresh. I do run the generator for 4 hours under full load twice a year. Do this during time changes in spring and fall. Figure I have to change the batteries and set the clocks so what the he11. As for the RV, though it was a pain, when I had my Class C w/4000watt onan, use to take a trip once a month to the storage lot, fire it up and let it run for while. Winters were the worse. RV was covered so couldn’t run the furnace or anything so use to take a 1500watt electric heater to put a load on it.

One thing I didn’t mention in my suggest list above, solar panels. Goal Zero’s are nice but overpriced. I have two, [Anker solar panels](http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Dual-Port-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00E3OL5U8/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447777419&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Anker+solar+panal Anker/). There’s a 21watt version that they didn’t have before that would be great for overcast days. I’ve had my panels for 2 years and they still work great. Got one hanging in my office window keeping a 10000mA battery pack charged. Crank chargers are a fad. Though they work, takes too long to charge anything.

…yup… totally did. But given the survival scenario of “disruption of services” for the suburban yuppie that’s going to be buying this thing, bottled water is much much better than filter or purification tablets.

I should have added in a “life-straw” bullet point, but the problem is for suburban survival it’s actually relatively difficult to find water that doesn’t come from a tap. Very few running streams, maybe a few public fountains / decorative lakes.

I felt more comfortable recommending something simple like a few 1L bottles of pure water to bridge for 1-2 days until the army airdrops in pallets of water.

Plus the camelback that came with the bag was pretty junky. The o-ring seal didn’t seal properly at first (needed grease/lubrication?). I ended up throwing the first one away and replacing it with a better one (Geigerrig w/inline virus filter).

Great advice on unpacking/repacking/refining your bags. I hope I never have to use it but it’s nice to know I have it and it’s a fun little useful micro-hobby if you approach it that way.

–Robert

I’ve been keeping a list of things that have expiration dates (with the dates they expire) or age (like Nitrile gloves) in the pack and keeping those things at the top of my pack for easy access.

FYI - Feminine napkins can also be use in your first aid kit to help stop bleeding.

Yeah, funny how those gloves “desolve” as time goes on. Items that you do not have to throw out, if you have one of those food saver machines, work great to compress socks, base layer underwear. If one is looking for a cheap first aid kit for a BOB or emergency storage/locker, this isn’t a bad price.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ready-America-122-Piece-Industrial-First-Aid-Kit-74016/203392668?cm_mmc=CJ-_-3668349-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=3668349&cj=true and Free Shipping. A cheap pair of mechanics gloves or some leather work gloves would make a nice add for this bag.

Can I ask why the preference for one bivy sack over the other?

As for water, I’m aiming for the Sawyer mini water filter. Seems more useful than the lifestraw. Also, a sillcock key was recommended to me to be able to access water from outdoor spigots in commercial/urban areas in emergency situations, provided those still have water. Could be useful in a get-home scenario.

I’m still a nob at all this prepping stuff, it this bag seemed like a good starting point. Comfortable, too.

The first choice of bivy sack is larger, more like a two person sleeping bag. That’s in my 2 person bag. The other, smaller, is more like a real bivy bag or large trash bag with a hood.

The key is fine providing water isn’t shut off (pump stations, well water pumps). So, the key may not do you any good if that’s the case. We lost power in the Detroit area for 4 days once. No water but I had just topped off my motor home a week before so I had about 50 gals of water in the tanks.

Life straws are good if you know your water source isn’t that dirty. I have a couple of Sawyer kits, one for each bag. I also have a Steripen with pre stage particle filter. ALso keep some AquaMira water purifier tablets. Some say the LIFESAVER systems bottles are tops but they are way pricey. If I was going to some 3rd world nation I’d take one with me. I keep a Katadyn MyBottle purification bottle that uses the ViruStat cartridge. It’s not a bad price for what it does. It uses iodine to kill off virus. Just not as good of water flow as other devices, and theres a reason. WHen you look at it’s filter, it’s east to see why. I’m sure there are other purifiers out there but remember, there is a BIG difference between purifiers and filters. I’ve shown my scouts how to use a sock, with sand, rocks, charcoal from burnt wood (ground up as a powder) to filter water. I sent the life straw bottle to Costa Rica with my son when he went for a week. He never drunk out of anything else and he was the only one out of the 10 who went who didn’t have stomach issues. :wink: Lots of good video’s for “noobs” that are really helpful. Just remember, we are all noobs till we have to live using this stuff.

When I worked 30 miles away, my pack was pretty much realistic. Now, I’m only 2.5 miles away and there’s a Super Walmart store between me and home, along with a couple of small rivers (got large industrial garbage bags for blow up and help with crossing for that plus they can double as rain gear or sleeping bag/shelter too). So, If I can’t make it home in 3 day s from being 2.5 miles away, that means I got squirreled by the boxes of Twinkies on the shelves at Walmart.

Yeah, I always keep water purification tablets with me on the off chance I cant boil anything. I definitely need to pick up some of that lesser known survival stuff that doesn’t involve a bunch of gear. Never know what type of situation you’re going to be in.

I’ve got a basic get home bag. I’m about 13 miles from work to home, which I’m not too worried about, but my wife is around 30 miles. Need to make sure she’s familiar with everything in the bag I’m putting together for her car. she thinks it’s all really “neat”, but that won’t be good enough if she ever needs to use it. Thanks for the info.