Yukon Outfitters Hammock, 2 Choices

I already have a Grand Trunk - Skeeter Beeter Hammock… but I couldn’t pass up a cheap two person hammock. Now… to find a tiny honey :slight_smile:

These are great hammocks for the average layman :wink: The equipment nerds will find them lacking, but even they can’t complain at these prices. Get three and have a gear hammock, one to lend to non-aficionado friends, and one spare or beater to throw up in urban hanging adventures.

69" is pushing the limits on the bugnet version. If you are under 65" it should be plenty wide for a proper flat lie without stressing the fabric too much.

Y’all should be aware that the bug net version requires SIX mounting points to hang correctly: two, as usual, support points, and four disparate points for attaching the net support lines. However, you can always hang it upside down, and just not use the net feature.

Also, I think it has been mentioned before, the non net version is a double size, not double occupancy, hammock, though two MEDIUM SIZED adults can lie together comfortably in it, for short periods, if they are very friendly. I find it much better to stick to one occupant per “double” hammock. (YMMV. :slight_smile: But, at these prices you can afford to outfit everyone.

I’m sure it would be simple enough to add in a couple of spreaders (maybe use a couple of shock-corded fiberglass tent poles) and make y-shaped yokes from the lines so you use the same two anchor points for the net as for the hammock. something like this :

Can’t mosquitoes bite you
Through the nylon?

No, they can’t if there are no holes in it.

Yes they can - through the nylon (bottom of the hammock) as he asked, but not through an intact bug net (as you allude to).

Mosquitoes can bite through alligator skin. When laying in a hammock, put a blue foam pad under you for warmth and insect protection.

To reiterate on this point: When I received my double from Yukon a few weeks back, it came with a piece of paper inside the hammock saying that the product is intended to only be used by one person.

Bought one the last time these came up- good quality and comfortable. They do stretch so adjustments need to be made. As for weight- have had 2 adults in it no issues- no hanky panky is advisable though!

After reading some reviews, it looks like lying diagonal is the best way to go in a hammock like these. Is it possible to lie diagonal in the hammock with the netting? It looks almost like the netting would make it difficult to do.

At 6’, would I be too tall for the netted version? I’ve been searching online and can’t seem to find an answer.

Just treat it with permethrin. Spray it down, let it dry, and the bugs will leave your bottom side alone!

I have the original double from a while back (when it was green with a higher weight limit, but appears to be exactly the same as this blue one that I also have) and spent a week in it without any issues. Great hammock!

I would recommend heading over to Hammockforums.com and make some decent suspension systems for the hammock though. The fat rope that comes with this model is horribly lacking!

I purchased the Bug Net one from Woot last time. I’m about 5’9, 150lbs and can sleep pretty comfortably in it.

For setting up the bug netting, you can get away with rigging them onto the same two points as the hammock hanging points on your tree.

Grab a cheap 10x10 trap, learn how to set up a ridgeline, tie a tautline hitch (I prefer an adjustable grip hitch), and your halfway towards cheap hammock camping!

The netting should not prevent lying diagonally. I hammock-camp a lot and used to use one similar to this product. I now use an asymmetric hammock specifically shaped for diagonal sleeping, but I never had a problem with my old one. (And diagonal is the ONLY way to sleep comfortably on a hammock, for most people)

The specs are very similar to the Hennessy Hammock explorer deluxe. I am 6’1 240 and my explorer deluxe is pretty comfortable.

Could someone tell me if the Double Hammock comes with hooks or carabiners? I bought the netted hammock last time it was available and it came with ropes and metal hooks is that so for the double?

I have the same question. I’m 6’4" tall and am thinking I need the double hammock that’s 11.5 feet long. At 8’9" the netting hammock seems usable but may not be all that comfortable to stretch out in. Any tall folks with experience?

I can’t vouch for the mosquito model, but will say hammock camping is bomb compared to taking a tent. No need for flat ground, just have to find trees that are within the right distance.

If you’re looking at getting it for camping you’ll also want a tarp to use as a rain-fly, some Kammock Python straps (they’re the best for attaching a hammock to trees of different diameters), and a decent mummy-shaped air pad (and ideally some straps to keep it under your sleeping bag).

Figuring out the details is a little work, but sleeping in a hammock is way cozier than sleeping on the ground. The only thing I really struggled with is that you need some extra insulation under you since a slight breeze will take all the heat out of you. The mummy air pad works great for me, although other people recommend using an “underquilt” which is like a sleeping bag that the whole hammock goes in (you can make your own with a blanket and a tarp).

I bought the double last time it was offered and it came with carabiners but no ropes…