Yukon Outfitters Hammock - 3 Choices

Good advice from corvettejoe and bradyarz. We exclusively hammock camp now. Add a good rainfly to go along with the bugnet version and you are good to go. A note about the “double” wide. While it is a romantic notion to snuggle up in a hammock and it works for short times and naps it is not really comfortable for actual sleep. I would advise the double none the less as it allows a taller person (6’2") to comfortably lie on the ever important diagonal.

I bought one of these on a previous woot. Yes, you will fit.

No, it has very thick paracord with a metal almost a D ring. I just bought some cheap straps at walmart for $6 and used those.

non related to the product, but the woot bar seems like its a much darker green… and I like it.

That is all I have…

I picked one of these up on woot earlier this year and used it this fall. I really liked it. The weather was 45-65 degrees F. and was comfortable with a fire near. For anything colder or windier you would need a top / bottom quilt.

I recommend this as it is a good value (price/performance).

Note! Double hammocks are not for two people (It is almost impossible for two people to comfortably be in one hammock like this, regardless of size). They are just bigger. I have a single and a double (from a different maker), and the double just gives me more room to stretch out in different ways. I can sleep fantastically in either one. I am 6’4" and 200 pounds.

Also, for winter or cold weather use, no amount of blankets will keep you happy. Your back will compress whatever insulation down to nothing, and you will lose tons of heat out your back through the hammock. For cold weather, you can take a good, well insulating, wind breaking, double-zippered sleeping bag and wrap it around the OUTSIDE of the hammock. That’s the cheapest way to go!

The mesh screen is most useful in the warm weather, obviously. But I have a vaguely similar hammock (waterproof nylon roof, but otherwise looks the same) that I have used in mid-November and in early March… Believe it or not, when you’re up off the cold, cold, heat-sink of a ground, it’s actually pretty warm up in there! A bit of a “bubble” of warm air forms under you (especially if you throw a tarp over the whole ting 'cause you don’t trust the nylon roof for the 20% chance of rain while you’ll be sleeping!), and as long as it’s not windy, it’s actually a whole lot warmer than if you’re in a tent (and I know of what I speak, having slept in a tent in every month of the year, including sub-freezing temps from November through March).

Not more than a couple days in a row, mind you! But I’ve got plenty of cold weather tent camping (and a bit of hammock camping) in my background, and a good hammock can be surprisingly warm in the coldest weather! :slight_smile:

I bought both of these in the sale in the summer. The netted is GREAT for spending the night outside, but make sure you put layers under you.

The double works well if you want to relax with one of your kids at your side, assuming they’re small kids, or if you just want to have lots of room to stretch out.

If I didn’t already have them both, I’d buy them again.

Weight question…so the single with attached mosquito netting weighs in at 19.5 oz. Does this weight also include the lines / bag / S hooks? If not, what is the total weight?

Yep, that’s the total weight. So says the buyer. So it is.

I’ve been looking for a netted hammock - do we think 2 90-100lb girls could fit in this? I know it’s a single, but we’re small and I really want the net - anyone have any insight?

buy one for each. Its very difficult to get a good nights sleep sharing a hammock as you will both be compressed into the middle from the sides.

When you’re in a hammock, the sides come up around you like the shell on a taco :slight_smile:

Still encouraging me to buy just one :wink:

Oh - and thank you very much for the input - greatly appreciated!

Thanks, I bought one. I have a hammock bliss, but having the net included saves almost a pound of weight from my pack!!

I have been a 4-season hammock camper for 10+ years. A few additions to the excellent advice that has been given so far:

• Bottom insulation is essential, even in 50-70 degree temps for most of us. Your sleeping bag compresses and loses all of its insulation value under you, and chilly backsides are a recipe for a sleepless night. I use cheap closed-cell foam pads (the roll-up ground pads sold in camping departments) and I lay on top of them. These slide around a little sometimes, but they work. Someone said that “it’s warmer up there”, but that is incorrect - the air flowing around (under) you convects heat away from you, while the ground can really only get to around 30 degrees - the air can zip right past that to sub-zero and cool you off quick.

• PLEASE use 1" or larger webbing to wrap around the trees and then tie your ropes to the webbing - it will protect the trees.

• These are great choices for first-time hammock campers to see if you like it, then get more serious with making your own or getting a Hennessey or a Speer or a…

• You WILL need a rain tarp eventually. My current cheap favorite is from Sportsmans Guide for $25 (link here). It sets up like a diamond - two ends tied to the trees/webbing, two ends staked out to the ground.

• One more excellent website in addition to Hammock Forums (which is in a bit of turmoil since about August, unfortunately) is www.tothewoods.net. Jeff has a PLETHORA of information on his site.

This is a great price, if you are thinking about it, go for one.

EDIT: The tarp I am referring to is the 8.5’ x 8.5’ (sorry that link has the tarp in two sizes). The 11’ x 11’ is too big to use with a hammock.

I can absolutely confirm Jonas’ comment regarding convection. My first night in a hammock on a July evening in the Catskills found me shivering and close to hypothermia due to a persistent 25 mph wind. The temp was close to 50 degrees, but with the wind chill it felt like 30. It was one of my longest nights in the woods waiting for dawn to break.

First off, I picked up the single netted version last time (first hammock) and love it. I didn’t set up the net yet, I only used it flipped upside down, worked great (i’m 5’11" 230lbs). Now I’m in for the double to try it out. I’d like to share some of what I learned tho.

You will need to buy or fashion some way to connect your hammock to trees/whatever. I used some left over webbing from some cheap ratchet tie-downs, about 3’ long each w/ loops tied in each end. I girth-hitched each around a tree. Then I used some heavy cord from REI (used for making climbing cordalettes, about 1/4" thick, but can support over 1000 lbs) and attached the hammock to the web slings using the “rappelling ring method” (just google it and it will explain everything) you can set up and adjust your hammock in 30sec to a minute. The only thing I substituted was instead of using 4 6-11 dollar rappel rings, I used 1" steel rings found at Menards for .50 each.

Lastly, I used a separate small stuff-sack for the whole thing. I put the hammock in first by the middle, and stuff everything in so it’s almost folded in half, until the only things sticking out are the 2 rope ends., then I put the webbing on top. This allows me to set it up w/o the hammock touching the ground. It just pulls out of the bag as you attach it and stretch it between 2 trees. Hope it helps!

Thanks for the confirm. On the other end of the spectrum, I have spent many 5-degree nights in my hammock using just 3 closed-cell pads under me (I was in my -20 degree Wiggys bag). Below zero, it gets tricky no matter what I have under or around me.

The double for backyard hanging, the single if you want to spend the night in the woods.

To echo previous commenters: if you intend to hang anywhere besides your own back yard/porch you should swap out the rope suspension for either whoopie sling with toggles and treesavers or webbing with double ring. Either upgrade is simple and makes hanging faster & easier.

The suspension for the bugnet on these hammocks is too complicated but is also easily fixed. One option: Skeeter Beater Pro with internal ridgeline