Zmodo 4-Channel All-in-One sPoE NVR Kit

FAQ’s
Product Page

[youtube=IQQSKInuNUo][/youtube]

I think you finally got me… Wanted one for a long time and I think this is the one to help me take my paranoia parade to the next level!

So, wait, this doesn’t come with a hard drive? So it has the “capacity” of a terabyte, but that’s only if we want to record on the air? Please tell me I’m not reading this right.

You supply your own hard drive (BYOD). If you want a system with the hard drive installed, woot! is offering them here: http://electronics.woot.com/plus/laview-security-systems-1?ref=cnt_wp_6

There are some differences / limitations between the two brands, so comparison shop carefully.

Are we really limited to 1tb. Since this doesnt come with a hard drive why couldnt i drop in the biggest 3.5" drive I can find, like say 4tb, otherwise id just pick this up off amazon with a drive, and the ability to return it for 320 shipped.

The distributor on Amazon says the maximum supported drive is 2TB.

I got a Foscam POE camera here recently, and I am impressed with the video quality. Do these cameras mix-and-match, so that I could use the Foscam with this system?

re: mixing and matching, I’d point out the stated recording capacity-- it’s 100fps TOTAL, at 780p (~0.9MP). So if you plug in a single 5MP cam, you’re going to max out around 18fps (maybe a little higher if you’re getting really good compression).

The operative value is actually in MB/s recording capacity. That lets you compare apples to apples, across different NVRs using different cameras. But if you don’t plan to upgrade past 4x720p@25fps, this is probably fine.

Oh, one more thing-- while the housing may be IP66 (dust-proof, and immune to water from any direction, but not immersion), the POE connection sure doesn’t look it. I also don’t like that the cable is exposed, outside the metal housing. But if it’s out of reach, or you can get it inside conduit or a box, I guess it’s not a problem.

This still seems like an okay deal for $200, if this is all you need, and you would just buy another NVR to expand, down the road. It’s just not an amazing deal.

My wife purchased http://www.woot.com/blog/post/zmodo-4-channel-surveillance-system-with-4-weatherproof-ir-cameras . Zmodo has not maintained the Mac client software. We’ve switched to a different DVR.

Two questions 1.) does anyone know what voltage the cameras want, in case you wanted to use a POE injector to a switch instead of the NVR? And 2.) has anyone played with the cameras to see if they are true ONVIF? the distributor on Amazon answered a question to the effect they weren’t true ONVIF, despite what the documentation says… If they’re ONVIF, that makes the cameras $50 each and a deal in themselves… I could use them with a different NVR

Thanks!

[QUOTE=johnsalterego, post:12, topic:422035]
Two questions 1.) does anyone know what voltage the cameras want, in case you wanted to use a POE injector to a switch instead of the NVR? And 2.) has anyone played with the cameras to see if they are true ONVIF? the distributor on Amazon answered a question to the effect they weren’t true ONVIF, despite what the documentation says… If they’re ONVIF, that makes the cameras $50 each and a deal in themselves… I could use them with a different NVR

OK, I blew up the photos enough to read 19v on the camera… still curious if anyone has any ONVIF experience with them though.

Can you add more camera’s to this in the future?

Can you write out ONVIF as words?

http://www.onvif.org

Open Network Video Interface Forum

ONVIF is:

Standardization of communication between network video devices;
Interoperability between network video products regardless of manufacturer;
Open to all companies and organizations

After buying Zmodo products in the past, some from Woot, I would highly recommend not purchasing Zmodo products.

Regardless of how technically savvy you are, I would still advise friends and family that it’s a poor choice. 2 of 3 Zmodo products where completely dead or dysfunctional right out of the box. Their support is non-existent. I thought for the price I could overlook some this, but it isn’t an equitable tradeoff.

I’ll stop whining now, but consider some of the Foscam stuff that shows up here from time to time.

I could, but if someone’s not already familiar with the term it wont help! :slight_smile: “Open Network Video Interface Forum”. It’s an up and coming communication standard for IP cameras, to allow for plug-and-play interchangeability between different manufactures.

(should have read down farther, I’d have seen Greg already answered! - thanks!)

There are lots of answered questions on Amazon’s product page. This is just 4 channel, so no, you won’t be able to add any additional ones.

No. And you wouldn’t want to even if you could, because the max. recording rate with this unit is 100 frames per second (at best.) Better than many and good for the money but not the best (which you’ll pay a lot more for, btw.)

100 fps divided by 4 cameras gives 25 fps motion. Adding 4 more cameras would lower it to 12.5 fps.

Better to buy 2 units and keep recording rates as smooth as possible. Note a difference in specs between display rates (real time monitoring) and actual recording rates.

Two recording units also let you place each one more strategically, like one inside garage and other outside house. If one goes down for whatever reason, the other’s still up.