Zmodo 4 Channel Surveillance System with 4 Weatherproof IR Cameras

All of these cheap dvr’s are junk for pulling files off of. I’ve got an LTS that works (mostly) with IE9, but it freezes regularly (IE9 activex plugin, not dvr) making it a pain to pull files from.

They are great for live viewing though, I use my phone to watch the house all the time. Plus I added some better camera’s to two of the three I use, DVR has no trouble with them. They aren’t exactly hi-res, but plenty good to watch someone walk off with your TV.

3D or GTFO. How am I to ascertain the true nature of any interlopers and the threat they represent without 3D?

Wow this comes with a lot of cords and stuff. This just screams that I’m going to lose an important cord or something and then it will be useless to me.

Hello All,
I am a Zmodo representative.

Hard-Drive Installation Tips: Installing a hard drive into this DVR is quite simple. Simply remove the DVR lid, place your hard drive label side down on a flat surface, place the DVR upside down on top of the hard drive. Match up the holes in the bottom of the DVR case with the threaded holes in the bottom of the hard drive. Secure the hard drive to the DVR case with the 4 provided hard drive mounting screws using a #2 Phillips head screw driver. Turn the DVR case upright and plug in the SATA power and data cables into the respective slots on the hard drive.

The DVR will prompt you to format the hard drive when the DVR is initially powered on.

If there are any other questions about this product please contact Zmodo Customer Service via our 24/7 live chat at Zmodo.com or toll free at 866-551-6881.

This is a different model from the previous security system.
The DVR for these two systems are different, 40207 (previous woot) has a 8 series DVR and the 40107 (current woot) has a 9 series one. The DVR in the 40107 (current woot) kit supports Audio Input / Output: RCA 4 / RCA 1 and is capable to more smart phones, also the operation is more friendly.

Not sure I understand how a “DVR” can not have a have drive included. What would it be R-ing on?

I believe it supports network recording. Thinking about picking it up to record motion detection to my NAS. Probably wont even put a hdd in it if i can help it.

edit seems like maybe an internal hdd is required before storing it elsewhere… Does anyone happen to know?

Anyone know if this has some sort of notification when motion occurs?
Email, text, etc?

Don’t bother with the 24/7 live chat. If you do get an agent, they will only refer you to the 866 number. If you don’t get an agent (more often than not), you’ll be asked to leave an email - which they will not answer.

These are only my personal experiences so far.

Good Morning/Evening,

Unlike ADT systems, There is no subscription needed for the mobile live-view function.

Our DVR and cameras have also been tested to work with both 3G and 4G mobile devices. Android Phones, Iphone, Ipad, Android tablets, etc.

If there are any other questions about this product please contact Zmodo Customer Service via our 24/7 live chat at Zmodo.com or toll free at 866-551-6881.

Are these cameras color or black & white?

Thank you for your help.

Why yes, it does!
From the description:
"The first Zmodo DVR to support Mac. Supports Apple Mac OS X versions 10.7.x (Lion) & 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)

Hello All,

All cameras in this kit are color cameras. However, they do show black & white at night when the Infer-rad LED lights are on.

According to the description, this can record at 120fps (at 352x240). Surveillance systems usually record at low frame rates to save space (hence the jerky motion). What possible reason is there to record at 120 fps? If 24-30fps is fine for a normal movie, why isn’t it enough for surveillance?

It also plays at 704x480 with 120fps. Since it’s not capable of recording at that high a resolution with 120fps, where would one get such a video to play? And why? In terms of forensics, the only reason I can think of is real time blood splatter analysis… but again, where would one get the footage?

This system is garbage.

Very recently, I also dropped $300 on the 8 channel system, and within a month the DVR crapped out. Once it got to max capacity, it stopped recording my footage (unbeknownst to me) and stopped allowing me to even go back and search for footage that was there. Every time I tried, it would freeze, then restart EVEN THOUGH it was set to automatically overwrite new footage.

Called the ZMODO people, and after 45 minutes on hold they told me that this is NORMAL, and that the cameras have to be manually re-formatted “every so often” (read: every 3-4 weeks) otherwise this will happen.

Shitty thing is, I didn’t realize any of this until I got robbed…again. Can you imagine how pissed I was when I went to check the trusty footage?

The robbers only got me for $50 or so. Woot got me for $300. Who should I be more pissed at?

I am a Zmodo representative. Thank you for your help.

Yes, this DVR is the first ever Zmodo DVR to support Macintosh. We have listened to our customers and made some major improvements to the DVR software. The new software supports MAC and has improved User Interface (UI)

When will you support Linux?

This system would be fine to watch someone walk off with your TV. Without the perpetrator standing to pose for a tight face shot, most law enforcement agencies will not be interested in seeing your recordings.

You can document something happened, but probably not get anyone arrested. You need much higher resolution.

I have never owned a surveillance system and want to get one for simple home use - I have a few questions:

How many hours of recording can I store if I have a 2 TB HDD and all 4 cameras running?

Also, what happens if I keep recording and the HDD gets full? I would assume that it deletes the oldest video and keeps recording.

Can I mark some specific time frame to save and not delete/overwrite?