Zmodo 8-Channel Surveillance System

Are there two outdoor/two indoor cameras included? I don’t need just indoor is why I ask.

Also, has anyone had experience and/or success running this from a Linux OS platform?

Future kill, thanks for the solid input and trying hard to get this system sorted out.

I want a system badly, but I need full functionality out of the box and that includes remote viewing over phone and tablet, PTZ and the other features claimed on the box but not delivered.

Thanks again

Hmmm, in total complete darkness (indoors, totally dark garage, no light leakage), I’m able to set my camera around 30’ back from the garage door, and I’m able to see. I put up a piece of striped cardboard on the garage door, and the IR is able to pick up the stripes. Granted, it’s not a great image or well illuminated at the far end, but I can make out the contrast & shapes - I’d easily be able to make out a silhouette of a person or critter. On the closer end, up to around 20’, I can make out the junk piled in the garage and could see quite well. I’d think a full moon or street lights would actually improve things from what I saw in total darkness. But then the Spiders from Mars move in and block the lens.

I’m more concerned about the cold weather operation…what is your experience with this, Woody1? Do they just crap out completely, or does the image degrade? Zmodo is telling me they work to -25f, but I’d like to hear some real world experiences.

all 4 cameras are rated indoor/outdoor. 2 domes, 2 bullet.

I purchased a similar system a little over a year ago from Woot. As soon as the outside temps hit close to the freezing point, two of the cameras failed. They returned to “normal” as soon as the sun heated them up a bit.

The Zmodo tech told me that they should actually work to -40, FWIW. They did send me two replacement cameras within a day or two without charge and did not ask for the defective units in return.

I am happy to report that the cameras seemed to work quite well this past winter, even in sub-zero (F) temperatures. Again, YMMV.

Thanks, tfmiller!

I was getting conflicting information from Zmodo…their website FAQs listed a meager -5f for the low end, one of their CSR agents also told me -5f; but on the other hand, all other product specs (and some other CSR agents I’ve spoken to) indicate -25f.

In my neck of the woods, -25f isn’t too common, but we’ll routinely have nights that dip into the minus teens. I made this purchase based on low temp performance…what good is a system if it only works in the summer, right?

Hopefully mine will make it through the cold winters ahead…I should probably stick them in the deep freezer to test them now, beats climbing a ladder at -25! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info.

When you configure the motion detection you cannot use the copy to all function for the cameras. The reason for this is that there is a trigger (motion) and an action (record camera X). When you use copy to all it will often activate the record on every camera when it detects motion on one. Easy fix though, just don’t use the copy setting function.

Overall I find this DVR to be very high quality for the price. I previously had a zmodo 4 camera system and was constantly annoyed by the low quality motion detection. This camera’s motion detection is fantastic and the remote playback interface is 1000x better than the previous model that I used.

For me, this system is 100% worth it.

Thinking of getting this to augment or replace the system I have based on 2 Panasonic network cameras and a Linux server. The simpler wiring is appealing.

Is it correct that the dome cameras do not have PTZ?

What would be the advantage of one type of camera over the other if they are both fixed?

How flexible is the zmodo dvr to integrating with my network? Can I add scripts and programs to be able to do things like push notifications through my existing infrastructure? Is the Linux rootable?

Cheaper on e bay if no one else bids :slight_smile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZMODO-8-Channel-Surveillance-System-4-outdoor-cameras-DVR-/330770057606?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item4d036e8986

I’m looking for a camera system but think I’ll still hold off til something better comes along.

And c’mon woot I need a dyson

What is the difference between the dome cameras and the bullet cameras?

Also, what is PTZ?

Thanks!

Not sure what difference is.

PTZ means Pan/Tilt/Zoom. On my network camera, this is controlled over the network.

Can you share the video? :slight_smile:

I’m new to surveillance systems and am wondering what kind of cables are used between the cameras and the controller?

The particular cameras in this bundle don’t have PTZ nor audio, but you can add these on your own down the line…eg, the DVR has PTZ & audio capabilities if you ever end up needing it.

Only diff I can tell between these particular bullet & dome cams is: lower profile on the domes…less ‘obtrusive’ looking for some mounting applications (indoors, doorway, etc). The bullet rely on an adjustable mounting arm to attach them to a structure, and also have a sun shade/cover, although this seems to be where spiders like to live according to some users. Image-wise, I do not see any difference between the two types. IMO, the dome just looks like it belongs indoors or a well covered area, even though it’s rated as weatherproof.

You can set the DVR to email notifications.

I am using cat5 cable & cctv baluns instead of the included wire…generally speaking, IMO, it’s easier to drag virgin cat5 than the hassle of cutting bigger holes to accomodate a bnc & power connector. Cat5 also leaves me with some extra leads to be used with PTZ or audio should I ever add those types of camera…wouldn’t have to do another cable run. The included cables aren’t of the highest quality…thin and not shielded. Even a Zmodo tech confirmed this. They’ll work, sure…but cat5 will be better (and let you go much further with baluns).

As for rooting…lol, hey where there’s a will, there’s a way…but I’d be way too worried about bricking the thing. It’s so hard to know what is what with the boards & chipsets - I get the feeling there are so many variances of Zmodo ‘guts’ it’s a real gamble trying to dump/root any of it. But that’s just me.

I purchased one of these systems last time they were on Woot. I’ve spent a little time playing around with them, but haven’t formally set up the entire system.

I’d like to point out a little bit of information that it seems woot and everyone else missed.

The data card that came with my system indicates that the dome cameras have 1/3" Sony CCD’s with a 3.6mm lens and are SKU # CM-S22203BK featuring an 80 ft IR illumination range. In informal testing, these cameres seem to emit a much narrower and brighter IR beam. The bullet cameras have a 1/4" Sony CCD and a 6mm lens rated with a 65 ft IR range and are SKU CM-S12316SV

IMO, this combination of cameras works out pretty well because you can get a broader view with the dome cameras and focus on a particular area with the bullet cameras.

One other thing that I’d like to point out is the IR LEDs are near infrared - IE they emit a slight reddish glow that is noticeable in low light settings, which may be a drawback for some users.

You have different model # Sony CCD cameras. This bundle (same one I got last month on woot) are both Sharp 1/4" CCD’s, 3.6mm

They ain’t bad at all, and my tests show similar IR patterns (dome & bullet both Sharp 1/4" 3.6mm)…but if somebody asked me to pick, my first choice would probably be your Sony CCD (1/3") instead of the Sharp I got…

Wow I should read to comments more often. Thanks for all the info, I will also wait for a different system.

Yeah, same here. I’m looking for a budget system, but not one where the software comes pre-exploited.

I purchased this model. Is that the same one you bought? The details seem to be the same, but my camera model numbers vary from what is (and was) posted. I also received (2) 50’ cables and (2) 100’ cables instead of (4) sixty footers.

I’m confused! Can anyone provide answers?

I have a question before buying, can you access the camera images via Mjpeg or some other common compression or image refresh over the network?

I do some programming with IP cameras, and want a cheap set like this for my house to get used to more API’s and such, I can’t find any info describing the API… It sounds like it might be able to, as it is accessible via iphone, but I want to make sure.