American Red Cross ReadyWise 60 Serving Emergency Meal

American Red Cross ReadyWise 60 Serving Emergency Meal

4 servings per container and 60 servings means this is 15 packets at $4/packet? I see 13 flavors listed in the pictures, so presumably you get 2 duplicates or maybe 1 triplicate?

Maybe about 13000 calories total?

2 Likes

From the ReadyWise website:

What’s included in this kit?

• 1 pouch of Cheesy Lasagna (4 total servings)
  • 2 pouches of Creamy Pasta (8 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Pasta Alfredo (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Chili Mac (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Chicken Noodle Soup (4 total servings)
  • 2 pouches of Savory Stroganoff (8 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Hearty Tortilla Soup (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Potato Pot Pie (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Teriyaki and Rice (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Baked Potato Casserole (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Tomato Basil Soup (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Southwest Beans and Rice (4 total servings)
  • 1 pouch of Cheesy Macaroni (4 total servings)

Additional Product Details:

• Includes 1 total bucket
  • Total calories: 13,400
  • Food is safely sealed in Metallyte™ pouches
  • To avoid waste, each pouch conveniently contains 4 servings
  • Grab-and-go handles for easy transport in an emergency
  • 25 year shelf life

Total Weight: 11 lbs
Dimensions: 11.75" x 9.75" x 12.50"

3 Likes

I wonder how it helps “avoid waste” by having each pouch contain four servings when I only have one or two people?

2 Likes

I always try to share this video review of ReadyWise and Mountain House when these come up on Woot.

Seriously, watch this before hitting the buy button.

6 Likes

So, if I get this right, the TL;DW is…

No.

3 Likes

And i’m confident you’ve gotten the same comment before: Mountain House, particularly the one tested in the video (if i recall), is more to be an on-the-go hiking or camp meal. not an emergency food. I recall hearing that the Readywise version isn’t nearly as bad… tho Mountain House still wins.

For the person that’s just trying to get by, $11/packet for 2 servings adds up to around +/-$165 which is over 2.5x the cost of what we see here. If Readywise is all you can afford, then it beats the realistic alternatives. If you got money, build up Mountain House. If you’re smart, Canned goods are a balance of affordability & taste (tho take up more space).

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this video, hard pass on the wise.

2 Likes

The main advantage of a purchase like this is the extremely long shelf life and compactness. One must keep in mind that in an emergency dehydrated foods require water and fuel for preparation. Canned foods don’t require water but do require fuel for heating; they take a lot of storage space. Heating food takes less fuel than cooking (not sure how much cooking the ReadyWise stuff requires). Don’t buy brown rice and dry beans as emergency food.

2 Likes

Like @neuron said… the advantage of this stuff is the longevity of shelf life. I agree wholeheartedly that you can stock up on canned goods for much less with a far better taste - and I have done both - but if you don’t rotate the canned goods, they go bad after a few years. I don’t mean their expiration dates… those are only "best by dates and food is good to eat well past those in most cases. Even at the price point and less palatable taste, it’s still not a bad idea to have some of this stuff on hand… you never know when the s might htf :cowboy_hat_face:

Funny Organic Matter Hit Fan T-shirt

I agree it is about compromise. I figure for the same calories it would take 11 MREs (my choice being former military) times $15 is $165 (13750 cal); mountain house at 420 cal a serving, 2 serving in a package it takes 16 packages at about $9 to get 13440 cal for $144.

Knowing that I hope to never use these I will still be getting a box or two. In an emergency use the food I have in the house, then maybe use some MREs and some Mountain House I have picked up later and then dig into the ReadyWise.

2 Likes

I expect each person will consume 2 “servings” especially in emergency situations

1 Like

Saved me 60 bucks. Ty!