American Red Cross ReadyWise 60s Emergency Meal

American Red Cross ReadyWise 60s Emergency Meal

4 Likes

The original grab and go entrée bucket…

6 Likes

On a more serious note.
I’m assuming these are dehydrated meals.
How many calories per serving?

6 Likes

Look at the photos and zoom in on the nutrition details. It’s all shown right there.

13 Likes

colonel sanders dancing GIF by KFC Australia

4 Likes

I resemble that remark

4 Likes

So I don’t get it - one label shows 6 “meals”, the other one shows 6 different ones, and another shows a chicken soup that’s not in either list. What does one get? I’d hate to spend $65 to get 60 servings of dehydrated chicken soup.

2 Likes

I am struggling to understand the labeling too. When you add all together from nutrition facts I count 52 servings (13 unique x 4 servings each). This is a 60 servings kit? Are there two more four serving meals listed on the lid or bottom?

edit: found the product description and two of the meals (Creamy Pasta and Savory Stroganoff) are doubled. It is 60 servings of entree only food.

3 Likes

If you are starving, will you really be concerned about calories. This is LAST resort calories, I doubt that it qualifies as “food”.

6 Likes

In a survival situation you would need at least 2,000 calories a day. These packs are 150 Cal to 260 calories. But since they are quite high sodium you probably would not want to eat 10 of them a day. Supplementing with portions from a 5 lb bag of rice that can be boiled might be a solution.

5 Likes

Gottcha. I read it as you were thinking of keeping the calorie count down. Agreed, add intant mashed potatoes, rice, cup of noodles, etc.

2 Likes

Be careful with cup of noodles too. Those tend to be 650 to 880 mg Sodium. It adds up. You generally want less than 6000 mg divided throughout the day. If sweating a lot from exertion more intake ok. If sedentary, could worsen blood pressure in those who are hypertensive and sodium sensitive.

3 Likes

How much sodium is proper?
The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day and moving toward an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults .
Of course, YMMV depending on other health issues and level of exertion (eg sweat loss.)

2 Likes

No one eats that including most cardiac patients once they go home. Why? They cannot stand how bland. Goal realistically in 2023 is 5000 mg but is seldom achieved. Please remember my concern was about how much sodium is in these “survival packs” if one is to consume enough calories to survive.

Average in US is close to 9000 mg with some at 12000 mg per day.
“The global average salt intake is estimated to be 10.8 grams per day, more than double the WHO recommendation of less than 5 grams of salt per day (one teaspoon).”

If you’re in the market for this type of product and have a Costco membership, a bucket of 150 servings for a total of 24,260 calories costs $100 with free shipping. Also goes on sale several time a year for about $70 -$80. Costcos bucket has a little more variety but some of its servings are drink mixes. Woot is all entrees. I would recommend pairing this bucket or costcos with a bucket of protein meals as well. The suggestions of mixing in rice are also advised as all these meals pack a lot of sodium.

If you really want to be prepared you should also plan a water supply. Amazon has lots of water storage options. Most of this food needs to be cooked with water and you’ll probably want to drink plenty of liquids to balance out the high sodium content.

9 Likes

You have to eat 5 to 6 at a time.

Based on calorides needed if you need to walk 30 to 40 miles out of a regional disaster, agreed. If you did try to eat 5 to 6 packs for needed calories in one sitting (not recommended of course) the amount of sodium in just a single meal would be very high levels of sodium. So stock up on starches and a fat source (for calories = needed energy). Amazon even carries what are in essence flavored lard bars as such supplements (yes, yuck).

Use these emergency meals for seasoning other packable things like rice and dehydrated lentils if you are serious about some basic prepping. When COVID was super lethal (mid 2020), I did this with a couple of such packs (also from Woot). But I wanted to try …and taste.

Concluded: Not something I would want to have to eat for more than 2-3 days and only under duress. I would pack these if you need to bug out. Come up with heavier to transport but more palatable stockpile at home if you do not need to travel out of region. Worth considering for what it is. Mountain House has reputation for being tastier but oddly has become much, much harder to find.

3 Likes

In a survival situation, you would take what you could get.

2 Likes

Prepping means trying for more. Such as having 2 bags always prepared in advance and perishables cycled.
My bug out bag in our workplace exercise was chosen as best all round preparedness contents. Included first aid for blisters, non-opioid pain medication, food ration for at 2+ days, emergency shelter, water, Toilet paper, underwear, flashlight baton, knives were left at home and not brought to work.

2 Likes

Now I know whose prep gear to borrow.

3 Likes