Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF Desktop

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF Desktop

windows 7???

ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Haha this is funny. I am on one of these computers right now at work. Itā€™s about 8 years old. It can run Windows 10 but you definitely want to add ram and switch it to SSD. Im running Windows 7 with 8 gig of ram and runs dog slow. Not worth the money.

You really want an 8GB+ system, butā€¦

which points people toā€¦

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I have a Dell 9020 purchased earlier this year from Dell Refurbished (check out the discount codes) which came with Windows 7 Pro. Did the USB installer download. Ran setup and about 30 minutes later it had a legally activated Windows 10 Pro. Did not ask for activation key. This was an upgrade install, not a clean install.

Of course there is no guarantee it will still work, but there it is.

2 Likes
  1. It already has an SSD.
  2. If your 3rd gen i5 CPU with SSD/8 GB RAM/Windows 7 is running ā€œdog slowā€ then there is a problem with your configuration. We have a couple PCs with that spec (Windows 10) and they run everyday stuff like MS Office, email, browsing, and basic photo editing perfectly fine, even snappy. Perhaps try a clean install.
  3. Taking it up to 8GB of RAM from 4 GB is probably a good idea tho. Especially if you want to have more than a few tabs open in resource-hog Chrome.
1 Like

Yah, from what Iā€™ve read, this is completely legal. Apparently Microsoft wants to encourage getting folks off 7 and onto 10ā€¦ by wink, wink, not shutting off the 7/8 to 10 update service.

Would this be any good for MAME without spending another $200 on upgrades?

We have 9010ā€™s at workā€¦ which are at the ā€œtail endā€ of their lifecycle (higher ed). We give faculty & staff new computers after four years, then recycle the older computers for internal use by adjuncts and GAs. Right now weā€™re replacing 9020s with 7050s and (soon to be) 7060s running W10. As far as loading an OS goes, I think W10 on 7010s should beā€¦ okay. Youā€™d definitely want a minimum of 8 GB of RAM and an SSD. Thereā€™s only room for one 3.5" drive in these suckers. Make it a fast one!

Not the same processor or RAM, but Iā€™m running a 5+ year old 7010 with i7-3770, 16G RAM and an SSD on Win 10 and itā€™s like butter. Add some RAM, and an SSD and this would be a pretty respectable machine.

10/100 Ethernet? Hard pass, homie.

FWIW I picked up an Optiplex 390 with a 2nd generation i3 and 4 GB RAM (no HDD) my office was selling. It has GigE. Cost: $5.

That has to be a typo. All the 7010s have GigE.

Except this one, apparently :wink: I donā€™t buy from listings that have incorrect specs, anyway. If the seller canā€™t get that simple stuff right I donā€™t even want to think about what else they could be getting wrong.

We had hundreds of the Optiplex 990 and these 7010 models at my work.

Iā€™d recon about 70% of the 990 units had power supply failures, the 7010 models maybe 50%.
990/7010 use same powersupply. We run then 24x7 for mostly office relate and other apps.

But that said, with a SSD and 8GB of ram, the 7010 are about as quick as our newer 7040 units (which have SSD).

Air in take fan is a problem on these units alsoā€¦ but fan and PSU are cheap fixes.

Typo in the description, itā€™s a 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter.