RocketSocket Extraction Socket Set

RocketSocket Extraction Socket Set

The more force you put on the nut, you sheer the bolt.

What is today? Woot junk Sunday?

1 Like

These are not junk, Made in the USA. And I have used these and a friend who has his own repair shop has them. Must have in the snow belt with all the salt on the roads. Heck, Scotty Killmer likes them.

Agree. Since I moved to idaho from Alaska I’ve learned what a horror salted roads are to the underside of a vehicle. A kit similar to this was one of my first purchases after a single winter here. A lot easier than an impact wrench and blowtorch, which is what I was using before someone suggested a kit like this.

Woody1, I think you are framing and blaming this all wrong.
This tool is designed to allow you to apply more pressure than other tools. People use it when the normal tools slip and don’t work for the job at hand. If the bolt breaks with this tool, it probably couldn’t have been loosened with any other tool.

1 Like

You and Woody are both correct in your own ways. IF the fastener is not frozen / rusted in place in the threaded bore and all you have is a head that was mangled, this are the ticket to get a grip on the head and extract the bolt/screw. That said, Woody is correct, IF you snap the head off, you have a new problem. For real Rusty bolts/screws, start with a good penetrant like “PB Blaster” and let it do its job for a few hours or even overnight if you have the time. Even better, do PB Blaster and apply heat with a torch on the mating surface (avoid getting heat on the bolt) to get the PB deeper into the bore and expand the metal.
BL: These look like a great tool and will come in handy when you can’t get Vise Grips on a damaged head. I’m in for a set!

There are multiple different extractor socket sets over on the mothership that are around half this price, but I decided to get this one here instead for three reasons:

1. This one is the only one definitively labeled “Made In The USA”;
  2. Woot is selling this one for $20 less than the mothership; and
  3. I’m banking on the Lifetime Warranty.

The one thing I do wish this set would be more clear about is the kind of steel that is used. Where other sets clearly say Chrome Vanadium Steel or Chrome Molybdenum Steel, this set only says “100% American Steel” and “Impact Grade”, neither of which is definitive. However, I am willing to take the chance because it has excellent overall reviews with only a few gripes concerning not fitting a specific size bolt or two, and even fewer regarding them not being impact rated.

Fingers crossed!