American Red Cross ReadyWise 60s Emergency Meal

And has just knives…pfft.

This was workplace display at facilities request. We do live simulation with 3 hospitals several times a year including active shooter sim, casualty stabilization vs triage, and live actor simulated fatalities.

What else is available in your BOB at home is not something one discloses.

1 Like

Trying for more? I’ve heard various versions of what “prepping” is, but that’s a first. I keep a “get me home” bag in my car(s). A go bag at home and a go bag/shelter in place bag under my office desk. Knives? x3 for me. I’m a firm believer, Two is one. One is NONE! Always have a back up of your most important tools and at least 3 ways to start a fire. In 2019, preppers got laughed at. In 2020, they were cursed because they had already stocked up on TP, paper towels, masks, gloves, PPE, etc. Even food (powdered milk, eggs, even freeze dried meats). But as it may, what is being sold here today isn’t that bad of a price and can be a SUPLIMENT to other meal adds. Mention “canned bacon” and people laugh, till they either can’t get it or taste it. But even the most hard core prepper or survivalist’s will tell you, even MRE’s, you can’t eat this stuff for weeks on end and not suffer health issues from it. Mix it up with other items, canned meats, soups, and such. Yep, lots of sodium. Just don’t eat too much at once and drink LOTS of water. And don’t forget communications. Those baofeng sold here from time to time make great radios for emergencies.

Tornado season has been non stop. Prepare.

3 Likes

Agreed. Working in a city, I am more concerned about getting out from the hoard. At home, potential water supply is my pool. But I would need a still. With all the pool chemicals, the water is not potable unless processed. It works for toilet and maybe bathing.

Decision making requires intel to determine how long to shelter in place vs. evac to in-laws hundreds of miles away. I also have several folding 35+ watt solar panel chargers for a battery packs, a Baifeng UV-5R 2 meter radio. Including an extended battery.

3 Likes

What a great deal! Couldn’t pass it up!

1 Like

Sometimes, you need to just stay put till things settle down. You always get the “I’m coming to your office” (I don’t disclose what I have at home, but I recommend stores for people who rather not be on the road in the middle of chaos. Bottom line, rather you live in Chicago or Panama City Fl, EVERYONE needs to have a plan. Doesn’t have to be extensive, and there are LOTS and LOTS of places online to help one build one. The govt 72 hour recommendations is laughable (as we seen during the pandemic). But IMO, I recommend to everyone to have no less then 30 days of food. No less then 12 gallons of water for 1 gallon per day and only for cooking. Use wetwipes to clean up, including after going potty. A 5 gal home depot bucket w/seat (for potty), kitty litter to put in the potty (works better then saw dust). All these things are useful. Even the kitty litter bucket when empty can be used to store items, or, as another potty or waste can. After both my boys became egale scouts, I had LOTS of camping gear and gadgets. Put them to use. I have stocked many bags with things I’ve gotten off Woot. I’ve built bags for family and friends. Even after building one, still, every 6 months, you need to review whats in the bag and recharge and replace items that expire or loose power (like power bricks). The best thing is, never having to use it, but if you do need it, hopefully, people have “tested” and became familiar with the items in their bag. Just like the radios. Getting them, charging them and sticking them in your bag is half the battle. Using CHIRP, I’ve programed all the radios I’ve handed out to my kids to be on the same freq’s. Also stuck on the back is a rough comms plan and freq’s to use and when. I even have a couple of base stations (Midland 400’s) in special ammo cans w/battery to set up in time of need. People should not buy the food offered here and just toss it in the closet. They need to learn how to prepare, and taste it. I’ve tried various including Mountain House, Back packers pantry and others. I’ve found ones I wouldn’t eat if I could have grubs instead (just kidding, grubs suck), but some are really bad.

So, sounds like you have the right idea and a plan. You are way way ahead of the game.

6 Likes

Would a Lifestraw work to filter your pool water for drinking water?

1 Like

Thank you. I have 5 to 6 of those but they are for filtering bacteria and debris. I don’t think they have enough activated charcoal to remove pool chemicals including carcinogens. A very large osmotic filter might help. A well made still better.

1 Like

Being able to “Shelter in place” is needed if there is a atmospheric release and/or you don’t expect mass roving looters. Also needed if road devastation is so severe, that you cannot make it out reasonably or safely e.g., roads all impassable clogged with debris. Enough gasoline to be able to traverse 250 miles at least for one car at all times a good idea.

1 Like

I live in the Oregon Coast tsunami zone. It is recommended to store canned goods and water and cycle them out before expiration. Ready to eat canned goods like chili and soup are good if you don’t have power and fuel to heat water. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when here. We are due to have a tsunami anytime. Emergency meals would be great as an addition to canned foods if you can heat water, if you have clean water, if you can purify your water. :canoe:

4 Likes

I believe this is made to provide food for an emergency. I don’t believe it was intended for the end of the World as you knew it.

2 Likes

Prepping as standard safety protocol is my goal, but whenever I look for information it is so easy to get swallowed up by those who prep as a lifestyle.

I’m a single gal in California with a little kit that I revisit every few months. I probably have the first aid part down okay since I know a little about that topic. But when it comes to the other stuff…lol
I still have that bodybag I got from Woot and I have some knives but they probably are crappy. I know I should put a Leatherman of some kind on my birthday wish list.

But as I said, it’s like normal level of preparation for a single person without a carload of kids or a secret basement full of firearms and toilet paper is such an eye roll. All the cool kids want to do is compare stockpile sizes.

1 Like

I believe this is made to provide food for an emergency. I don’t believe it was intended for the end of the World as you knew it.

3 Likes
1 Like

Y’all can have this!

I’m prepping with the tastier emergency food supply, B-ready bars.

(8 pack) Nutella B-ready 6 bars 132 g - $29.99 - Free shipping for Prime members (8 pack) Nutella B-ready 6 bars 132 g

4 Likes

Nice! Good tasting calorie rich food!

3 Likes

They’re lightweight, low sodium, don’t require water to prepare, and delicious! What more do you need while the world is burning?

3 Likes

You could probably trade some for ammunition or water even!

4 Likes

You could probably trade some for ammunition or water even!

I have 1400 rolls of premium toilet paper and a flat of Skippy crunchy peanut butter. I will either have a mile-long line forming at my door to barter or some guy with 5 guns and bandoliers full of ammo taking it all from me.

4 Likes

As Intrepid01 said, no. They are ok for back woods use but remember, there is a difference between Filters and Purifiers. Not to take any chances and for a commercial product off the shelf, and they are somewhat pricey, but you should never skimp on something that could make you very sick, I use
GRAYL Geopress Purifiers
and LIFESTRAWS FAMILY and Mission purifiers. I have tested the family purifier. Took water out of my sump pump hole (a water source if anything ;-)) and it produced clear, clean, no-taste water (and I survived).

There’s a company that makes special bags that will absorb salt water and produces drinkable tasty “juice”. Mine are grape. You lay them in any kind of water, it will absorb and filter it. There are many choices out there, just research. Just like freeze dried food. I might like todays offer, but you may not. I’ll always pick mountain house over any other brand, but I’ve tried others just in case.

Sorry for the rant.

3 Likes