07.17: World Emoji Day (woo!) (I mean,…)

:partying_face::eyes::unamused:). I wasn’t being intentionally withholding (that was Lucille Bluth for the record). The title is limited to one emoji apparently. And that just wasn’t enough for me. (All true.)

I heart emoji. I genuinely find them to be brilliant. Full stop. The simplicity, expressive power, adaptability, universality…I could wax ecstatic for awhile, butI won’t.

Both like and unlike traditional languages. (Yes, it’s technically a font. I unexpectedly learned that two days ago. But technicality understates inherently.

Every day is emoji day for me. That sounds more obsessive than it actually is. I think it’s interesting and fun to be creative with language. (cue: yawn)

[under construction:
gonna have to finish this piecemeal. And like basically no professional storyteller ever, I’m starting with a beginning and an end at the same time and with nothing else.]

Please contribute. If you want. No rules. I set this up for you guys, a small short collective evolution experiment. Hope to see some emoji fails, obviously missing emoji, obviously extraneous emoji, repurposing, emoji opinions even. Whatever you have to say as long as there’s a emoji-nexus cnxn.

OK gotta go have a good day hope this turns out to be fun remember it doesn’t matter what I hope there’s no rules you guys collectively decide. i’ll try to come back and clean this up as soon as I can and sorry for the unpolished text. Emoji day doesn’t wait and neither do the demands on my time, so trying to make best of bad. :saluting_face:

an example of repurposing:
:hugs: <= spirit fingers (obv) — when I was trying to figure out what it meant, hug did not even cross my mind. spirit fingers seem to be fairly obvious if not exactly certain interpretation. So that’s how I used it. even after I realized my mistake. Because I still thought my use was way better.

. it doesn’t have to be a past example obviously. Actually, for the record, if you’re the only person using it, that’s also an emoji fail. Wooters adapting emoji for wooters. that would be a win. but collectively ignoring this thread and refusing to participate is a form of expression two. I might be a little sad. For emoji, I mean.

1 Like

:zipper_mouth_face: :clown_face: :poop:

:eyes:
:tongue:

1 Like

Do emoji mashups from the emoji kitchen feature in Gboard count?

If so…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.