[QUOTE=SaiKoKilla, post:694, topic:153833]
I really have no complaints about it. It seems great.
But as soon as I turned it on and came back in 30 minutes… the whole room smelled like a combination of skunk and light marijuana. Does anyone else have an odor problem after they turned on their unit?
Perhaps I have a bad filter or bad unit? Do you just recommend that I call on 3M or Woot on monday?
[/quote]
My unit is fine as far as the sound level goes, but it does emit a type of odor that may be as described above. It’s not real strong though. I’m waiting to see if it diminishes at all. Any one else have the odor problem and has talked to 3M customer service?
Ordered two, and both of them sound like there are a bunch of broken parts rolling around the fan cage. Called 3M and they are sending two new units. Certainly a hassle, but handled very well. What did you do Woot? Too many problems with busted items this go around.
I have received 3 shipping #s, and as of Friday they were all expected to arrive on Monday. As of Saturday they were expected to arrive Wednesday instead. I am rather looking forward to the air purifier lotto, whether mine clinks, thuds - or hums quietly to itself, and if it adds new odors (skunk, yum!) or removes the old ones. Sounds like the ones that work are dang spiffy, at least 3M is replacing the funky ones…hurry up FedEX- I want my big boxes!
I ordered three, but only one arrived. FedEx says that’s all she wrote, with only one tracking number (even though the “one” package was to weigh 49.5 pounds, and the box that arrived couldn’t be more than 15 pounds) and washed their hands of it. I hope woot didn’t lash them togeher with some Scotch tape, and two evaporated during shipping. Time to ping woot service…
They have arrived, 3 large boxes sitting proudly at my front door. I am actually impressed that they arrived relatively intact, since they were shipped in their actual filtrete boxes rather than a nice larger box to protect the product (what should I expect for $5.00?)
Got one plugged in, no thunking or thudding - a bit of a funky smell, but I am at this point writing it off to “new motor”. Hopefully it will burn off - or perhaps “new motor” is actually “clean air” smell. We’ll see. Thus far pleased, thanks woot!
[QUOTE=Stumpy91, post:701, topic:153833]
My unit is fine as far as the sound level goes, but it does emit a type of odor that may be as described above. It’s not real strong though. I’m waiting to see if it diminishes at all. Any one else have the odor problem and has talked to 3M customer service?
[/quote]
I wonder if the odor is something 3M treats the filtrete filters with. The odor was gone after 3-4 days.
[QUOTE=liferules, post:696, topic:153833]
I’m confused. The rebate form specifically states “the original UPC bar code from the package”. I assume this is the bar code on the box. Is this incorrect? I can’t believe they would hide a UPC inside the unit by the filter…
[/quote]
Many have asked the same question.
I wrote 3M an email to Customer Service and got a reply in 12 hours.
The answer I got indicates 3M is very liberal.
BTW – there is a NEW rebate form online,
now extending the rebate dates another month. until the end of May
love ours! We have them in 2 rooms. No noise…just gentle humming …
Already notice a difference with allergies.
The rebate forms were easy to fill out, the bar codes easy to locate on the boxes. Sent it in the same day they arrived. I filled out 2 rebate forms, just in case, but I sent it all in the same envelope.
Just a suggestion…I always make copies of my bar codes before sending them off. In case there are any issues with my rebate getting “lost” or something.
Very happy with this WoOt!!! Very nice
I just opened mine today after a week…the god damn airfilter is busted. i thought i was going crazy because i couldn’t find the control switch… upon further investigation, i noticed that the fan doesn’t “rotate.” Rather, the head is flipping busted!
You know, I told myself to cancel this damn order when woot sent the apology email, but on better faith, I thought it might be worth it. Not only do I miss out on a good woot, but woot will more than likely make me pay the shipping to send this jalopy back.
[QUOTE=mpeters13, post:710, topic:153833]
I just opened mine today after a week…the god damn airfilter is busted. i thought i was going crazy because i couldn’t find the control switch… upon further investigation, i noticed that the fan doesn’t “rotate.” Rather, the head is flipping busted!
You know, I told myself to cancel this damn order when woot sent the apology email, but on better faith, I thought it might be worth it. Not only do I miss out on a good woot, but woot will more than likely make me pay the shipping to send this jalopy back.
I hate my luck. I hate it.
[/quote]
The first/top post on the same page…
[QUOTE=jds13, post:681, topic:153833]
Mine rattles like a bucket of bolts, loudest on the slow speed but with an annoying banging on high.
I called 3M and they’re sending me a replacement unit, with a prepaid return mailer for the old one.
I suspect that rough handling during shipping misaligned the “squirrel cage” fan. It’s unfortunate that they have such a high failure rate in this unit, which otherwise seems to be great.
[/quote]
Mine make very little noise and no smell. In fact, they remove the smell - as noticed in my son’s stinky sock room!
I also received 2, emailed and got an answer back the next day that the third had been shipped and they knew the dept. messed up. They caught the mistake 2 days before I did and I got the missing unit the next day. 3 day shipping by smart mail without ping ponging through 5 states on opposite coasts!
These were a steal!!! With the rebate, at $20 compared to $98 at Walmart for the 10’x11’ size, I’m thrilled! They even seem to pick up enough dust that rooms I had to dust every few days have now gone a week with no build up!
Got 3 yesterday. Opened the most damaged (not much but still dented) box and it works fine. Quiet compared to my other air filters.
Has the funny odor of burning insulation or whatever (assume this will go away after a few days).
Found the rebate form at:
Doesn’t say if rebate is good for only one or for many units.
I think I should try the others to make sure they aren’t damaged.
[QUOTE=sginwl, post:677, topic:153833]
Mine does, too. On the lowest two settings, I hear some rattling sounds, and when I look into the machine, the fan seems to be wobbling. On the highest setting, the wobbling/rattling sound does decrease (probably because of higher rotational speed that stabilizes the fan’s position?) but it’s still loud because the fan is spinning so fast. So far, not very impressed with the product.
[/quote]
Both of the 2 I purchased have very quiet hums in the 2 lowest settings. I Believe there is a problem with yours, suggest calling Filtrete.
[QUOTE=scottw2, post:715, topic:153833]
Has anyone found a decent price for the replacement filters?
$20 is a little rich.
[/quote]
Check to see if your local BestBuy still have these in stock. I picked up the last two in my area and they were on clearance for 11.99. Others have said they’ve gotten them for even cheaper @ around 7-9 bucks.
Just an update for those who purchased the air purifiers. No smell. No noise. Well, at the lower two settings. The high setting produces some fan noise, not unbearable.
I smoke, and the purifier is taking care of most of the smoke and smell…I was impressed after a day or so at the cleanliness of the air in my teeny apartment.
The only thing I’m keeping track of now is the life of the filter. Since I smoke, and I like fresh air, at least until our Midwest summer takes over (Hot! Humid! Yuk!), I’m worried about how long this filter will last. But, for now, I’m very happy with the purchase. Especially with the rebate.
[QUOTE=SaiKoKilla, post:694, topic:153833]
But as soon as I turned it on and came back in 30 minutes… the whole room smelled like a combination of skunk and light marijuana. Does anyone else have an odor problem after they turned on their unit?
[/quote]
I agree with the “skunk” smell. Maybe a little Mary-J too, but I’m less acquainted with that – for sure “rotten”, though. At first I thought “new plastics”, but after running it for a week and bringing it into a bedroom with little ventilation, my brother says “bad meat”. It hasn’t gotten better yet, so I’m going to run it in the garage for awhile. I have a sensitive sniffer, so if the smell doesn’t clear up it’s useless to me.
This smell issue is weird. I have a very sensitive nose and we have had no smell from ours (any of the 3). I think you may have something (a fan blade rubbing and melting or gunk in the motor burning) causing this. I’m sure it’s not normal! I would call for replacement! That’s what a warranty is for!