AOC E1659FWU 16" Portable LED Monitor

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

AOC E1659FWU 16" Portable LED Monitor
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 Business Days. (Monday, Jun 05 to Thursday, Jun 08) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://computers.woot.com/offers/aoc-e1659fwu-16-portable-led-monitor-12) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=AOC E1659FWU 16" Portable LED Monitor) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=AOC E1659FWU 16" Portable LED Monitor)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/24/2016 - $72.99 - Click To See Discussion (19 comments)
9/14/2016 - $69.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (2 comments)
9/13/2016 - $69.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)

4/7/2017 - $69.99 (Woot Plus)
3/21/2017 - $69.99 (Woot Plus)
3/21/2017 - $69.99 (Woot Plus)

For those who are considering something like this, these DisplayLink monitors are pretty nice, especially for the price. You won’t be using it for gaming, but for normal PC use (web browsing, document creation, etc.) this will work great. There’s nothing outstanding about the materials or resolution or anything like that, but this one’s functional particularly for the modest price. It needs no additional power supply and is pretty light and portable (aside from its overall size.)

Except that USB connector won’t keep a cable plugged in. I had a very bad experience with these AOC monitors … Cannot recommend.

:musical_note:The resolution on this, makes it crap!:musical_note:

Bought one of these during the last sale, and I still haven’t been able to get it to work; can’t tell if it’s a hardware failure or a driver thing (haven’t had a lot of time to troubleshoot).

So I can give a resounding “meh”.

I can’t find any info on this - is a Raspberry Pi B+ (or 3) beefy enough to drive one of these?

[VMod note: Probably not, as this requires DisplayLink drivers to operate.]

Doubt it. These are generally powered by USB.

I don’t own this model but it was on my watch list for some time as I researched different USB monitors. After reading a lot of reviews I decided this model was not worth the money, and I would end up being disappointed in the long run.

Some common complaints for this model I read were…

• The USB port is weak, eventually wears out, and cable won’t stay in or work in general. -
  • Some reported having to use a OTG cable to provide enough power.
  • General specs are less desirable, contrast, brightness, resolution.
  • Issues with getting DisplayLink drivers working.

That said I ended up spending more than I originally desired but feel I got a superior product over this model. I went with the ASUS MB169C+ 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080. I have been nothing but pleased with it so far; USB-C, 1080p, no drivers required. Note, I did get it out of the warehouse used (like new, looked brand new to me) at ~40% discount off retail price to make it more affordable.

So take this one persons thought for what it’s worth.

I have to agree. Same issues here. The weak point for me was on the back of the monitor. Love the concept. Wish they had one for a
Apple Mini DisplayPort connection.

Like multiple others have posted, I got this last time and it wouldn’t work. I got a new replacement cable from here:

http://bit.ly/2qAw6sd

That worked, but, only for a week before it started going out. Found out it’s the back connector of the monitor.

I emailed their tech support, they said they’d replace it… but needed more info. I sent it, didn’t hear back for a month (forgot about it). I resent it and asked again, they said they’d review it, never heard back.

In that time, I took monitor apart and found out that it’s super-thin (the plastic casing is huge, if using this for a stationary second monitor for like an arcade, it’s better to remove the casing, quite easy).

It’s the port. These are refurb because the panel mount female usb connector is VERY touchy. Literally walk past this monitor and you hear the windows “disconnect” tone, which can move all your desktop icons, and then it sometimes immediately reconnects.

If you tape the connector with the cable bent backward putting pressure on it in a certain angle, that seems to work. I used to lean the monitor against a wall and have the cable bent back on itself a bit, and the weight of the monitor was enough to make a decent connection.

When you DO have a connection, it looks fantastic and is plug and play.

But, these refurbs are a pain unless you know how to hardwire solder a replacement cable…

I returned mine after a previous sale. It was DOA. Sounds like a lot of other buyers had the same experience. The computer would recognize I connected it but never would power on. I tried everything I could, reinstalling drivers, using different computers, nothing helped. I ended up getting an ASUS model from another website - paid about $40 more or so for it, but it has better resolution and more importantly it works. On the bright side, though, Woot! was nothing but pleasant to get it returned and refunded.

I got this the last time they sold it I like it and have not had problems… but Woot! please use a picture with the product plugged in.

I got a similar model, purchased new, with slightly better resolution (AOC e1659Fwux). I have not had any of the problems described here, and I’ve found it incredibly useful as a developer who has been travelling with some frequency.

But there isn’t a big audience for this: if you frequently have to work off a laptop, but have a little bit of space, and a second monitor is useful, it’s a no-brainer to get a product like this. Several colleagues of mine have picked up some variation.

On the other hand, is this the one you want? If you’re on a tight budget, yes. If you are buying on somebody else’s dime, though, AOC has models that are bigger and/or have better resolution, plus you have the comfort of buying new. Other people in the discussion have mentioned the ASUS models, which are sharp; but I like the AOC’s built-in kickstand better than the convertible cover/stand the ASUS ones use (YMMV).

Hope this helps somebody.

I’m pretty sure it could, if the pi was plugged into the wall, but your problem is that there is no driver support. There is an Ubuntu driver for Intel, but not ARM based devices.

It also uses one USB for video signal, and other for power. You’d probably have trouble on the Pi with power… it’d most likely work if nothing else that uses a lot of power, but don’t be surprised if it runs hot either.

I’m sorry to hear that. If you haven’t already, please use the Customer Service form for assistance. And be sure to check your spam folder as you wait to hear back from them. Our emails sometimes get tangled up in the spam filter.

Also an option for an inpromptu TV for your Nintendo Switch

[VMod note: Probably not, as this requires DisplayLink drivers to operate.]

Oh hey, missed Russel’s, but to clarify: it can get both video signal and power over a single USB port, IF THE USB PORT PROVIDES SUFFICIENT POWER. (Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly how much that is, or if a Raspberry Pi B+ will provide it.) Otherwise, you need a second USB port also providing power. The monitor comes with a special display cable with two USB ports. I’ve never had to use the second USB port on my laptop, but you’ll have to experiment with other devices.

Bought this several years back for $79.99 and still running strong. (Last Order Date:Jul 21, 2014) Gave it to my admin for efficiency and am ordering another one to replace it.