Apple iPhone 13

Apple iPhone 13

For reference…

$540 scratch and dent iPhone 13, 128GB, with 90-day Woot warranty.

All 128 GB, still sold new from Apple, with 1-year warranty:

14 - $799
13 - $699
12 - $649. (Really poor value since it starts at $599, but with 64 GB storage)

Unless you can specifically identify the spec/feature you need/want that is in any of these models, for average users, they are all basically the same phones. The A15 generation cpu is used in both the 14 and 13, the first time Apple has not bumped cpu generations between iPhone generations.

2 Likes

So youre saying this isnt a good for the 128gb at least? The 256gb seems good

Not necessarily. Simply providing context. 128 GB of storage should be plenty for most typical users. If you really need 256 GB, you already know that.

I chuckle at the number of times I’ve asked friends and colleagues how much storage they’re actually using. A favorite - on a 512 GB phone, they were using only 45 GB, after using the phone for two years.

Edit: if your personal photos and videos are causing you to bump into your storage limit (Settings/General/iPhone Storage), verify you have “Optimize iPhone Storage” turned on in Settings/Photos. In my case it took photo storage consumed from over 60 GB down to about 5 GB.

Yes Im one of those that has a need for larger storage because of photos and videos. But i dont want to optimize as it changes the file type of the photo from jpg to a proprietary type only apple uses making it inconvenient to share files. At least thats what I think youre talking about.

I have an iphone 11 and would like to get a new version, was wondering if this was a good deal.

Optimize does not change the original photo - it merely moves the original to iCloud… and keeps a thumbnail on your mobile device (also applies to iPad). I too used to want all the originals on my phone. But I gave up… and have not regretted changing to optimize. If I had crappy mobile service, I might think twice, but when opening up a photo or video, they download very quickly.

Regarding upgrading from an iPhone 11, it too, in most respects, for typical users, is little different from the 12, 13, and 14. In other words, you might be surprised by how little different they feel in use. Even the OLED display that starts with iPhone 12, to be real honest, is not that mind-blowing unless you’re particularly discerning, even when held next to the 11. I upgraded from an XR to the 13… and they didn’t “feel” all that different if I’m honest about it. What I did get was improved photos in low light, a very important improvement for me. Your 11 has night mode.

A key reason to upgrade might be you absolutely cannot live within your current storage or your battery health is not lasting the full day and you don’t want to pay Apple $80-100 to replace it.

2 Likes

I’d like the a newer iphone for the 5g capabilities. I only get 4g lte at the moment and Ive seen that 5g makes a huge difference where im at. I honestly prefer my 11 but thats the only oroblem im having, as my work phone is a 12 and i dont particularly like it more. I would like one with a higher hz rate as well.

As far as optimizing, I knew i was wrong. However, I dont have any iCloud storage available. Are you paying for more storage? It sounds quite convenient.

Perhaps the networks around you are different, but I did not notice a real world difference with 5G. Was getting 100-250 MBit speeds before 5G on my XR and while they’re sometimes higher with 5G on my iPhone 13, just as often, the speeds are the same or even lower on 5G in our medium large metro area.

For me, 5G is just another evolution… until its real benefits of offering landline internet competition and connected everything come to fruition.

We initially resisted paying for extra iCloud storage over the free 5GB/ID… but now we don’t worry about reliable, complete backups for all our mobile devices (8 of them) on the Family plan. Yah, $9.99/month, but worth it. And with the various periodic Apple Gift card promos, we can discount that effective price.