Asus

Trying to figure out the difference between these with the same name. Evidently the OS changes, although it’s not consistent.

UX31ERF-DH52 says
Asus Zenbook UX31ERF-DH52 Ultrabook, 13.3" HD+ LED, Intel Core i5-2557M, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, USB 3.0, 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, Win 8
but the specs say:
Operating System:
Genuine Windows 7 Home Edition (64-bit)

UX31-RSL8 says:
Asus Zenbook UX31-RSL8 Ultrabook, 13.3" HD LED, Intel Core i5-2467M, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, USB 3.0, 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, W7HP
but the specs say:
Operating System:
Genuine Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hope people get what they are wanting.

[MOD: Thanks for pointing that out. They both have Win 7HP.]

I will be waiting for woot to put the vivotab with win8 and dock.

Woot, when will you put up a beautiful Linux-based laptop, and make my dreams come true?

It will run any version of Linux.

Woot…
You need to fix your descriptions vs the specs on this.
Asus Zenbook UX31-RSL8 ends with “W7HP” (Windows 7 Home Premium) in the description.
But the specs say Windows 8.

A friend wanted one of these but I can’t recommend it in good conscience… on the off chance that it might actually come with Windows 8. I wouldn’t even submit someone I didn’t like to that experience.

Thanks. It’s been fixed. It comes with Win 7 HP.

I don’t understand what all the crying is about Windows 8. I run Windows 8 at home, and except for the “Modern UI” start screen, it’s essentially a Windows 7 desktop.

You’re actually one keyboard button press away from working in Windows 7, which everyone seems to love. So what’s the big deal?

It’s hip to bash Windows 8, when 90% of them never even used it for any length of time. It’s not going away, maybe 8.1 will appease them but I doubt it. Hope they like MacOS or Linux.

What I mean is one that “has” Linux, not one I can probably wipe and put Linux on, ignoring the tax.

Your optimistic comment notwithstanding, I still run into hardware annoyances from time to time. So, I no longer buy Windows pre-installs to erase and hope for the best. I just buy Linux gear and relax. It’s nicer for me.

I don’t like Windows 8 because I’m a phone line help desk technician. Per my experience 80% of the pc-comfortable(but not savvy) population that buys a windows 8 machine goes back to their POS XP machine and pesters me to try and help a machine that should be traded for 15 cents worth of quarter snacks at the gas station.

Then they break down and get an iPad because their tech-savvy grandchildren think they’re the cat’s flatus. Only it’s not, because they can’t understand basic touch screen nav tricks like tapnhold,pinch or spread. Or they think they got infected by something because they move from room to room, holding the device like a book, and don’t understand why the screen is somewhere else. Somehow, you were touching, the touch-screen flies over their heads.

Woah, off my soapbox. I like Windows 8, I think the tech savvy crowd can easily adapt, if they weren’t so happy to keep whining that it’s so different. True, it’s much better for touchscreens than traditional computers but the key shortcuts make some things easier to use than W7. Try Windows key plus I or X next time you’re running on it.

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the 15.6" laptop, but need to know if the Optical can be upgraded with a standard 12.7mm (half inch) thickness drive. My current mobile warmachine is a HP DM4 and I need something for home that I can play/burn blurays with. My DM4 uses an ultrathin 9.5mm drive, and NOONE has these drives that I can find. At least in a BluRay burner or player.

I need a simple media/home laptop that’s portable if I decide I need it, but has a bigger screen and the regular size optical bay. This would be the perfect machine and the price is right. Less than 5 bills upgraded.