Been waiting for these. Going to loft one in a high flying rocket to help locate where it parachutes down. Often it’s in high grass, and the call alert will help me zero in on it once I’m close. That, and I can narrate the boost via the onboard video/audio camera that downlinks to a receiving station.
These would be good for long rock climbing trips [sure beats yelling to your belayer from 200 feet above him] - if they are still around in the morning I’ll pick one (set) up.
Not good as an every day watch. ![]()
hey “Uplateanyway”, you’re featured in tonight’s WOOTCAST! Give it a listen, and congrats!
EDIT: Doh, lorinmichael beat me to the punch by a few seconds.
Works great in casinos to find your friends. Most cell phones don’t work inside on the casino floor. Don’t even have to wear it. Just put it in your pocketbook or bag.
as always, awesome podcast!
Oh, and I love how Woot is going through every FRS radio permutation known to man.
This is a great example of a wrist communicator, though I don’t know of Bell South’s track record.
Be advised, as always, you will have to self-license in order to legally use the GMRS channels.
These appear to be the same non-branded watches they offered for 17.99 on Tuesday a few weeks ago, but now with a bell south logo. They are actually pretty nice for short range walkie talkie use and give decent voice quality.
edit: It looks like a few people beat me to it. Also these have the headsets, which you might be able to consider worth the $2 extra.
I bought the wristwatch radios the last time they were on Woot. They work great. These are different, me thinks…but still good for kids or people on short hikes.
These would have been great in Disneyland and California Adventure when I was just there! I can just picture it… I’m on the Scream ride in California Adventure and my Nephew is calling me because he’s lost because I told him to wait for us because he’s too short to ride (but not too lost because he can only be 1.5 miles away)! He says Auntie!!! I say yaaaaaaaa just as I’m getting to the turn around Mickey Mouses head. I go upside down and the wire that is attached to the thing on my wrist then attached to my head. (No I didn’t read the signs that tell you about cell phones and things because these don’t apply right?) Anyway I’m on the turn and then the cord is around my neck while my wrist is right up there with it wrapped around me! Needless to say, my Nephew finds me only by the authorities telling him I was asphyxiated on the Scream ride by my 2 way radio. Hummmmm, I think my Razor with Bluetooth works just fine. Thanks Woot for the great write up. Happy Wooting everyone! These would be great for my Nephews! But I won’t let them on rides with them! ![]()
Won’t they toss you out of a casino if they find you with a small radio like this?
product haiku:
raise your hand to mouth–
whispering into your wrist–
a watch by… Bell South
Why in the picture they have shown a mic separately… it will be very difficult to carry the mic separately…
Never have had a problem. One time I was approached and asked what I was using it for and I said to find our friends so we could meet for lunch. Have used them in many casinos never has been an issue.
No, it means -exactly- what it says. “You can go get a license, on your own, from the FCC” Normally, for other kinds of FCC licenses, you have to take a test administered by another licensed operator.
In this case, you can go to the URL I provided, and get one on your own. The FCC is getting pretty persnickety about people operating GMRS radios without a license, and will happily fine you if you happen to use them often.
I bought a set of these at walmart when they were clearing them out . It was a differant brand but the exact same item. They work fine with these exceptions. The range isnt that great. 1.5 miles is extremely generous. I was able to get maybe .75 mile. these areperfect for mall use and such. They are a bit bulky when worn as a watch.
Woots price is very good. I bought mine for 10.00 each on clearance and that was a terrific deal.
FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK THESE WOULDBE PERFECT AT SIX FLAGS, DISNEYLAND,ETC. YOU WOULD BE WRONG.
Everyone brings these things to those places…You would need about 5000 channlels available for you to find a free and clear channel to talk on. … Seriously I took mine to six flags thinking it would help but we ended up not using them at all due to radio traffic.
Still a great woot… Awesome price for a neat item.
Ooohhh I feel so old. Am I the only one here who’s first thought was “Dick Tracy Two Way Wrist Radio”?
I’m so old and tired. I think I’ll go to bed now.
It’s optional, for use when you need to keep your hands free. I won’t say like when driving, but like when… driving. And it’s a headset, not a mic you have to carry. Look closer.
Then why not just say, “license required”? When I go shopping for stoves and see “self-cleaning”, I don’t think “this must mean I need to clean it myself”.
Anyone know if these have some kind of VOX function, and is the mic one of those standard mini-plug jobs?
how about like when… biking? My dad and I used a pair of these radio things when we did a 15 mile ride together.
Uh, two words…
Nextel and Boost…
Any walkie talkie that doesnt travel 1500 miles or so is obsolete these days…