Breville 15 Bar Triple-Prime Die-Cast Espresso & Cappuccino Maker

I got one of these last fall, and I love it. Great quality, nice heavy-duty steel construction, and does well foaming milk. My girlfriend and I use it at least twice a day, and it’s performed rock solid every time. Definitely recommend!

ONLY $219 IN SAME CONDITION,REFURBISHED. REVIEWS NOT SO HOT.
146 Reviews
5 star:
(68)
4 star:
(31)
3 star:
(10)
2 star:
(16)
1 star:
(21)

I love Woot, and I have several Breville appliances - they’re great.

My comment goes to good grammar, or rather the lack thereof.

“For all intensive purposes” Should be - For all “intents” and purposes.

OK . . . now I feel much better. :slight_smile:

I had a similar experience as Dulcimera. I bought a refurb one from Woot. Tried it out and ended up with an OK coffee and a big pool of water on the counter. Returning it to Breville was quick and easy and they sent me a new machine in exchange but it had a similar problem. There’s a little tube that pumps overflow water into a small hole leading to the drip tray. The water container would not stay flush in the machine and would block that hole leaving a pool of water under the machine every time I used it.
Bad design but great customer service.

Hey guys, i’m trying to buy one but sellout.woot.com seems to be overloaded/unresponsive after pressing “I want one”!

Am I the only one with this problem?

I bought this in a woot off about this time last year (mine is a refurb machine). It has been a WONDERFUL machine with a few quirks. The quirks don’t outweigh the clean design and quality of product this machine produces.

The quirk- you will read about this on all the major reviews… is that it is very particular about the ground size… too small and it clogs the specialty filter this machine uses to produce the crema layer… too course and it is a bit light. It took me a while to work out the right grind but I now have it set and have not clogged the filter in quite some time.

I did buy a semi high end burr grinder to get the grind just where I needed it, but the combo of a good grind and this machine produces wonderful shots! My wife, who was never much of a coffee drinker, now indulges in at least two cappuchinos a day now… and because this machine looks soooooo good in stainless it has a permanent spot on my counter top!

Great machine & I HIGHLY reccomend it at this price!

Nice looking machine, and for $140 probably a good starter machine for those getting into espresso making. If it were $400 (which it originally retailed for), I’d strongly recommend a used Gaggia or Rancilio instead. But this is a good price.

This machine has dual-wall baskets, which create pressure in the coffee grounds to enhance extraction. This is similar to pressurized portafilters on a lot of consumer machines. Purists will balk at it, but once you get it down and want to up the ante, you can always buy single-wall baskets for this machine, which require more skill to use but make a better shot.

As many will say, and they’re right, get a burr grinder and pay close attention to the grind! This is where many people fail, they put in regular-ground coffee and expect good espresso. Espresso is ground much finer, and you can get there with a burr grinder.

We have had this guy for over two years. We have had no problems at all. It works quite well, and it looks great. And at it only costs 70 cafe lattes at Star Bucks to break even.

Sorry, thanks dliidlii, I forgot to say that the price was for new–I was trying to imply (in the wrong way) that the refurbished price wasn’t going to come close to the woot price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00092ZVXA/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=refurbished

I also saw the “refurbished prices”–$221.61-$239.95 before shipping, but either way, that’s a bit steep for coffee I thought. As you noted, reviews all over the place (the last 8: three 1 star, 3 two star, 2 five star).

Sorry again, everyone, I’ve been going too fast in my entries recently (just imagine if I had coffee,…)

your Knot thee oanlee won that trys too correct otherz onn bad inglish onn thee internets (seriously, I feel like I need a red pen when I am on the internet), butt it IZ moore phun too skrew dings upp onn porpoise, eben moore dan shordhand.

It’s also, “for all intents and purposes” - I think the bad write-up was intentional.

I also have had this exact model for a couple of years. I love the quality of the machine itself. I use it twice a day and love how the cappuccino turns out. This is an incredible price for this espresso maker.

Bought this exact model 2 years ago on Woot, make 2-3 cups a day. Love it! Do yourself a favor and buy the single-wall portafilter cups, they make the production a lot easier to fine tune. A good burr grinder will help a lot too. And this thing is a tank—25lbs, and one of the very few machines tall enough to brew directly into a coffee cup. Oh yeah—instant hot water for Americanos, hot frothed cocoa or even soup—very handy.

I think the description is intentionally full of grammar errors. As if somehow it’s not only educated/sophisticated folks who might like an espresso machine in their homes.

can I get a warranty on this?

I haven’t looked at the others yet, but the Talk About Coffee “review” is the most incompetent piece of crap I’ve read in a long time.

My favorite bit: “This machine also has a power output of about 1500 watts.”

Things are looking up now that Sarah Palin is writing copy for woot!

Seems to be working now. Please try again and let us know if you continue to have problems.

You bet. There’s a SquareTrade link on the main page.

Will someone please explain to the copywriter the correct phrase is, “all intents and purposes?” I won’t even get into the “exceptable” screwup (it means to exclude or leave out, for god’s sake), but the whole, “all intensive purposes” screwup shows that college today clearly isn’t what it used to be.

Link: Is the saying 'all intents and purposes' or 'all intense purposes'? - Answers

I have this from the first offering on Woot.
Works a treat if you (in no particular order):

1. ditch the portafilter for one without the crema enhancer
  2. get a good tamper
  3. get a good grinder
  4. use good beans
    If you use this as shipped, you can make passable flavored drinks with less regard to bean quality, but seriously the difference is significant.

On another note, could all the grammar pendants calm down and understand the errors are intentional (and rather amusing). Srsly, read the copy, there are LOTS of them. In fact, why don’t you make a game of picking them all out. You got the obvious ones, now get the subtle ones.

'scuse me while I kiss this guy…