Dell Chromebook 11 3189 11.6" Laptop

Dell Chromebook 11 3189 11.6" Laptop

1 Like

When buying Chromebooks always check their update/support status. This one should be a hard pass as it is no longer supported as of June 2022. This means it no longer receives security updates, and frankly should no longer be sold by any company with scruples:

1 Like

This is great general adviceā€“I certainly would NOT use this as is after such a long lapse in support. That said, it is a model with support for Chrome OS Flex, which basically is the free version of chromebook software updated forever (but without any support).

I think the real reason these ā€˜expireā€™ is because Google doesnā€™t want to keep supporting them forever. So you could buy this, flash Chrome OS Flex and be running forever with all chrome updates. It makes me sad because great devices donā€™t get used.

Another option is to Install Debian or any other number of linux distributions. These $70 machines make a GREAT project for a kid because youā€™ll need to open the device up, and getting Linux to run is a challenge but WELL worth it.

You mean ā€œopen upā€ proverbially right? I didnā€™t think these devices could physically open (for upgrades).

That also said, itā€™s a 30 GB internal storage; between an OS and productivity suite, thatā€™s half the space gone. Add in media editors, browsers, and practically anything personal (photos, movies) will have to live externally.

Sometimes you need to physically remove a single screw so I meant open up physically.

I know it seems like thereā€™s not a lot of space on theseā€“but theyā€™re still selling brand new chromebooks with 32GB. The flex OS is built for that space and they really do work just like new once switched over to Chrome OS Flex.

Debian is running like a champ for me on a 16gb chromebook here, with about 4gb free. When you consider how much work is done online in the cloud thereā€™s not really a need for local storage for the most part.

I donā€™t think $70 expired chromebooks are for everyone, but theyā€™ve really got a lot of potential for the right person!