Dell Wyse 5470 14" Thin Client Notebook

Dell Wyse 5470 14" Thin Client Notebook

Do I need another “slow” laptop to play with, solely because this has a FHD screen?

@wootybot fortune

:crystal_ball: Outlook good

It could double as a hand warmer.

1 Like

This is NOT a typical laptop. This thing’s sole purpose is a gateway to a cloud hosted application or virtual machine such as Citrix XenDesktop, XenApp or VMWare Horizon View/Air. It MAY have the means to connect to Amazon’s AWS desktop. I doubt it even has a browser so it’s not even like a ChromeBook.

No, this will not run outlook unless you have a VDI platform to run your VM from this lappy… silly wootbot. The ‘new outlook’ is very bad, boo microsoft for forcing o365 users to worse looking and under perferoming applications.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @wootybot display help.

if its like the previous ones, it wont even be a Thin Client OS; it will come with Windows and not even have enough space to update it; useless

hmmm cat

Step 1: buy parts to upgrade/replace the storage and RAM.
buy_some_RAM

Step 2: open it up.
technician-cat

Step 3: something something.
afd672b46c32ed76365b56668ed31b76

Step 4:

Step 5: install Linux. Or was that supposed to be profit?
hacker-cat

Okay, maybe that’s just what I’ll be doing with the one I purchased. Meow.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

3 Likes

I bought one of these last time they were around. Paid a little more for it, but not really sour about it.
I use mine everyday. Full disclosure, I did upgrade it some. I happened to have 8 gigs of appropriate ram lying about. That helps. I also installed a 240 gig m2. That’s got windows on it. It runs like a champ.
I did manage to squeeze a very light Xubuntu onto the internal SSD. That runs well too. There’s just not a lot of storage left over. Previous poster is correct. Windows 10 is shoehorned on there and there’s not room for anything else. First thing I did was converted over to Linux. Then I realized I had plenty of spare parts to do a decent upgrade. So if you’ve got the parts lying about for an upgrade, it’s a really nice little cheepy laptop.

2 Likes

I looked into the specs, I’m not pulling the trigger on this one - this time - but you’re right, it could make a really nice Linux laptop.

Playing with mine right meow. It too came with Windows.

• W10P key is embedded in the BIOS, so it’s persistent through reinstallation. On the stock 16 GB eMMC drive, there’s 1.21 GB free. Installing a different OS or adding a drive and reinstalling is an absolute must.

• The N4100 CPU is natively W11 supported – not that I’ll be running it.

• The M.2 slot is for NVMe drives, albeit bandwidth limited. The CPU is PCIe 2.0 only, x2 lanes, about 800 MB/s max, so there’s no need for anything super fast here. My $12-ish 256 GB WD SN530 is overkill.

• The screw insert spacing isn’t directly inline with the NVMe drive and I didn’t feel like looking for (and buying) the actual bracket. Instead, I used a piece of double-sided tape behind the SSD and a piece of cardboard to keep a in place. The screw used is a M2x0.4mm screw, 4mm long.

• Memory is standard DDR4 SO-DIMM. Maximum speed on the CPU’s memory controller is 2400, so anything faster is overkill. It will take 8 GB sticks. I’m running mine mutt style, 8+4, for 12 GB total.

Unexpected niceties:

• USB-C PD charging capable.
  • Backlit keyboard.

ETA: Turns out a W10P key wasn’t embedded in the BIOS afterall. Perhaps it was only on the 16GB eMMC install.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

3 Likes

I believe that you’re supposed to snip the black wire in the top right of that picture.

facepaw

Maybe this will help:

slap penguins GIF

2 Likes

Hi, did you test already the battery life per charge, how is the total remaining life? , how is the physical condition of the laptop, has any scratch? , the screen is full hd isnt ?

Haven’t delved deeper into the battery aspects, but physically, no scratches and mine still had the protective film on the edges. Yes, the screen is FHD.

It’s still a thin-client at heart, and straight out of the box, I feel it’s unusable. If you don’t mind tinkering, though (see my step 2 above), it’s a great deal.

1 Like

Anyone know if this can be flashed and install a linux OS on it? Looking for something cheap to use for cyber security classes.