Derby entry comments for Derby #38: The Year You Were Born

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

In 1982, this was the only phrase you needed to know:

“ET Phone Home”

The film captured the world’s imagination and touched the hearts of millions. With the design, I wanted to express the simplicity of ET’s journey with an early 80s “Arcade” feel.

I hope you enjoy the shirt and thanks for your vote! Best of luck to everyone!

Specs: Light silver printing on a navy blue tee.

Great job. Fable! I like this.

On June 30th, 1973 the earth experienced an unusually long total solar eclipse. Observers in certain areas were able to witness the eclipse for over seven full minutes. During each millennium there are usually fewer than ten total solar eclipses that last longer than seven minutes. The next one of similar length will not occur until the year 2186.

Scientists were stumped as to the cause of the extra long eclipse until they realized that earlier that same year (March 17, 1973) the rock band Pink Floyd released their now famous album “Dark Side of the Moon.” Astrophysicists soon were able to connect the dots. “It’s obvious to us now,” said Dr. Bunsen Honeydew of Muppet Labs, “The last song on that album is called ‘Eclipse.’ People everywhere must have been playing that song while watching the eclipse and the sheer power of the amassed rock and roll caused the moon to slow in its orbit, making the eclipse last longer than is usual.”

Okay, I made that last bit up. :slight_smile:

Love the colors, tgentry - classic! GMV for sure.

On March 5, 1984 Iran accused Iraq of using chemical weapons, the UN condemned their use on March 30th. On April 4th President Reagan called for an international ban on chemical weapons.

PS - The laurel leaves were not traced.

EDIT: This is on CREME. Not pink. …there are no pink woot shirts.

The Legend of Zelda made it’s debut in Japan in 1986.

Nintendo does not have a copyrights on generic bottles, fairies, hearts, swords, bombs, or hexagonal-cut jewels.

@ artulo - Thanks. :3

Very cool design. Glad you went with Brown.
-Andy

1979 - Three Mile Island…accident…

1982 was the year of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” The hauntingly fun music video is still etched in everyone’s minds. For a trip down memory lane, take a look:

I present the world-famous ghoulish dance in glorious “pixel-mation” on an Asphault tee. This was really fun to design and I hope you like it!

Thanks for your vote!

'Cause This Is Thriller! Thriller Night!
And No One’s Gonna Save You From The Beast About Strike!
You Know It’s Thriller! Thriller Night!
You’re Fighting For Your Life Inside A Killer, Thriller!

Not only did snow cause havoc across the mid-west this year, but it also destroyed a legend in car manufacturing! :wink:

I submitted two versions of this because I just couldn’t decide between the two (I plan to delete the one which gets fewest votes by the end of the day.)

awesome, this is going to be at or near the top

ooo I was hoping someone would do a cream colored shirt.

I submitted two versions of this because I just couldn’t decide between the two (I plan to delete the one which gets fewest votes by the end of the day.)

nerd :wink:

Soyuz T-11 Launched on April 3rd, 1984. It was the 6th expedition to Salyut 7, and carried the first Indian cosmonaut to the Salyut 7 station.

Malmstrom AFB UFO/Missile Incident
16 March 1967

At a SAC base in Montana in March, 1967 a UFO sighting occurred. A red-glowing, saucer-shaped object was sighted hovering outside the front gate of Malmstrom AFB. At that time the Minutemen missiles at the base went into “a ‘No-Go’ (inoperable) condition.” Boeing and other engineering firms investigated causes for the failure. It could only be replicated by a pulse in the system. No power interruptions or anomalies were found to have occurred at the time of the problems.
" One conclusion was that the only way a pulse or noise
could be sent in from outside the shielded system was
through an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from an un-
known source. The technology of the day made generat-
ing an EMP of sufficient magnitude to enter the shielded
system a very difficult proposition, requiring large, heavy,
bulky equipment. The source of the actual pulse that caus-
ed the missile shutdowns remains a mystery to this day."

It was probably the alien in that UFO messing with the Air Force!

Real cool dude, I long for the days of crouching under a lamp playing my Game Boy …

What???