Derby Preview #715: NSF...Anyone

Supposedly there was plenty of ragequitting that went on, though, so maybe it won’t be as bad this time? That’s what I’m telling myself anyway.

Yeah… I over simplified a bit and go lost in my own metaphor.
I don’t think non political things need a pro and con… but to be fair sometimes it feels like EVERYTHING is political these days. “Oh, you like cats… I see… you are one of THOSE people.”
I would say the opposite of a Trump/Putin shirt would be a Biden/Xi Jinping shirt I guess. Maybe if a person is going to go political they had better have a good argument ready for we their TWO designs are opposing viewpoints; then it will be up to woot to buy into their BS or not! LOL

But, yes, another paragraph or two from the woot gods would be lovely.

1 Like

It’s impossible to balance out this dumpster fire of an administration. So, a shirt making fun of the other side will always feel a bit light.

Like you said, you’d have to waste your time making up shirts which make no sense (like Biden/Xi ) or delve deep into idiotic conspiracy theories.

4 Likes

I agree that the counter argument will undoubtedly be pathetic compared to the vitriol poured into the other side. " I really hate blank so i will make the opposite view just because I have to…"
If a person feels the need to vent their frustration into a shirt about current political elements, then they should have enough respect for woot to swallow their pride and actually TRY to give an opposing view.
I would say, If you aren’t going to put forth the effort, then don’t try.

Another Idea. Pair up with another artist and put both your names on both shirts and seek to find a designer willing to put some REAL effort into the opposite viewpoint!?

2 Likes

Yes absolutely, as a mod, I can agree to give artists time to explain before DQ’ing if we get tattles on something that could go either way and isn’t 100% obvious. I have done this before by commenting on the entry in the forums with a questions for derbies like the “Public Domain Day” where there was just so much material, finding the source wasn’t always easy. So rather than just DQ because I couldn’t find it, I gave the artists time to explain.

1 Like

So, if you were going to do an anti-Trump (I will take this opportunity to remind you of our caricature versus true likeness guidelines here) your balance would have to be pro-trump or anti a prominent dem figure - and just one balanced entry will be sufficient.

But you can just take the same subject matter and turn it on its head, the anti version and the pro version rather than the opposition version if that makes sense?

Exactamundo. Keep it simple.

I think you’re right @geekfactor12. I think it is safe to say if you are not taking a stance on a political issue, party or figure, than you wouldn’t have to submit a balance.

In your Rich Whiteman example, thats poking fun at the political landscape as a whole…as long as no political party is stated, you wouldn’t need a balance. IF however you did the art in the style of Obama’s hope campaign, that would be picking a side and would require a balance. Does that make sense?

3 Likes

I like that I am Woot gods status now.

I think it is fair to say that only issues being debated in the current political zeitgeist would be taken as political. But if you are poking fun at a concept as a whole I would let it slide as non-political. Flat Earth for example, is an topic we get a lot of and we don’t typically treat that as a political topic. It’s not a big issue at the moment, especially because science, but I would not count that as a political issue.

Climate change, that one is hazy. I suppose it depends on the stance you take in the art. If you are going to make a shirt denying climate change (hopefully satirical, cause again science - and just kidding I am not expressing any political views on behalf of myself or Woot) then you should have a pro-climate change balance.

3 Likes

Bartlet 2020…just throwing it out there.

2 Likes

Demigod at the very least!

Climate change is tricky. It shouldn’t be political but it is. The study of climate is the study of change. The climate has never been static. Looking for patterns and then attributing it to ONE THING or ANOTHER is where the politics come into play. So climate change isn’t the debate, but rather the cause. It becomes a straw man argument on BOTH sides very rapidly.

Just my two cents.

As far a this derby goes. I think people WILL vent… but I HOPE the winners are less political and more fun and irreverent.

1 Like

Agreed, that’s the intent here, to be funny and irreverent. Allowing politics is just one aspect, I hope it doesn’t turn into the politics derby.

1 Like

I thought climate change was a Chinese hoax?

2 Likes

Always my president. :heart:

2 Likes

How about: My president wore a tan suit = My president wears a red hat. Is that balanced? They both get criticized for an article of clothing.

I’ll go on record disliking the balanced entry requirement. Woot needs to not care about catering to “balance”. Take a stand. There’s no requirement that effort needs to go into the second design. It’s gonna flood us with some crappy designs. My two cents.

2 Likes

It’s about the end customer, we need to be able to offer our customer the best experience and ensure we have an offering for the majority. The rule is there to help your sales.

I think so, yes…I just don’t know the tan suit reference?

1 Like

Oh dear…I googled…I did not even know that was a thing!

1 Like

He chewed gum one time too. :joy:

1 Like