Hello to our most awesomest artist community! A while ago we kicked off the doors and lit the fires in the discussion for the Derby Contest guidelines. We combed through the feedback (thank you!), worked around the clock, drank enormous amounts of coffee, and consolidated them here for your viewing and learning pleasure.
The result is the updated Derby Contest Guidelines below, both guidelines for participation in the contest AND information for submitting your design as print ready artwork. This will be updated in the Derby Contest submission page as soon as possible, but please consider these guidelines as the most up to date.
This list is thorough but not limited to the below and the ShirtWoot Editorial team reserves the right to make the final ruling regarding the infringement of any guideline below. However if you feel that the Editorial team are not doing their due diligence the ‘tattle’ button is available to call out an infringement. A ‘tattle’ does not always warrant action but all ‘tattles’ will be taken into consideration.
Derby Guidelines for Participation
- Entries must be original, not designs that have been submitted or sold on another site (even if it was on another product).
- Entries must contain all original elements (no clip-art or other images that the artist does not own the rights to).
- Entries must include the design and a mock-up of the design on a shirt.
- Entries must be clearly related to the Derby topic or theme, this is judged and determined by our Editorial team. If you have questions or need clarity, please check out the preview in the forums over here and feel free to post questions here.
- No cussing, no nudity and no depictions of offensive expressions or behaviors.
- Entries cannot contain likenesses of people or public figures. Caricatures and parodies are allowed.
- Entries may contain photographic elements IF you have rights to the images and/or permission. You do not have to provide the proof of rights with your submission but you must have them available and provide upon request. Remember that we own the Editorial and when there is a question we will address it
- Artists must email their art file as soon as their entry is submitted! Art not received within 24 hours of the close of the derby will not be included, even if it is a winner.
- No limit on number of entries, however we will be selective in curating the Editor’s Choice sale.
The Derby ends each THURSDAY at noon, CST. The three designs that receive the most votes will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!
Design Guidelines for Artwork
- Maximum design dimensions are 15” x 18”
- Use our official shirt templates as a guide as well as available color blanks:
- Solid Coated color swatches are preferred but not required.
- Gradients & Halftones:
- Photoshop users, make certain that your halftones are 30 LPI or larger for a full-size design at 300 DPI.
- Illustrator users, please submit your final art with gradients. We’ll create the halftones on our end.
- Each dot that makes up your halftone must be one solid color.
- Your Design Detail & Shirt Comp images must show halftones.