Derby Preview # 720: Single Color Designs

This weeks theme is single color artwork! Your design can be made of type, text, outlines and imagery that is only one color! The content/theme can be whatever you like, but you may only use one single color. There’s a few limitations with this one though…
No politics
No cream shirts
No pop culture
No cats
No previously submitted designs

Here are some examples of what I mean by single color (and the print color does not have to be white!): I hate People & Truth.

This Derby begins THURSDAY August 8th & ends THURSDAY August 15th at noon, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit multi-colored designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here. Happy designing!

Could you please clarify what would be considered ‘pop culture’ in this case? Music, books, video games, movies - all of those are are out?

I’m not staff, so this is just my own opinion, but pop culture is basically anything that takes inspiration from any intellectual property.

A rabbit? Sure
A rabbit gnawing on bones? Not so much.

Yes, we’re shaking it up. Animals, slogans, hobbies, sports, food, tech, math, science, literature, art & design, pictures of stuff you like…all examples of things that are allowed!

1 Like

Clarification, please.

When you say, “No previously submitted designs,” does this just mean no resubmissions from previous derbies? Or does this this no resubmissions from previous derbies as well as no submissions that have been previously submitted through the regular non-Derby submission page?

Thanks.

No re-subs from previous derbies. What is acceptable is using assets from previously subbed designs that weren’t printed to re-work and create a new design - I don’t want the burden to be ridiculous to create completely new art for those that are trying to participate and also balancing the rest of life. But the design must be at least 50% different from any previously subbed designs - you can’t just recolor an old design solid and call it a day. Does that seem fair?

1 Like

No cats

@Narfcake, is this blasphemy?

2 Likes

Nah. I don’t even wear catshirts everyday; only on days that end in ‘y’.

My shirt for tonight is Nocturnowl.

1 Like

I’m just wondering, what if there’s one cat that is just a minor design element due to the theme of the piece, can it still be included or does it have to be left out of the design?

Just want to make sure I’m following. All Literature is ok? So as long as it’s not on television it’s allowed? For instance Dracula is literature- but also is in pop culture- as long as it’s not derived from television and it’s from your own imagination it is ok?

1 Like

Shirts about reading books? Yes. Shirts about any particular fiction? No.

That’s my take. Otherwise it is a pop-culture design.

2 Likes

In the past, when they said no ___, they meant no ___ at all.

(Insert cats, bunnies, squirrels, turtles, penguins, etc. as required.)

1 Like

That sounds right. Thanks spirit.

2 Likes

Yes, must be left out, no cats at all in this derby.

Last minute question, here…

Can it contain a hero that’s not really a hero? I have an idea that involves a superhero theme, but not a specific hero.

@sweetravin I would agree with your previous assessment, Dracula as a character derived from the literary version as opposed to the tv version would be allowed.

As long as it is an imagined super hero and not one that is in a movie, television series or comic.

Is the email submit a typo above? shirt-derby?

Yes, thank you! I think they both work and got to the same inbox but I should be consistent - updated!

Guys this derby is so beautiful!! The entries are fabulous!!!

1 Like