Derby Preview #750: Hidden Meanings

I wanted to dedicate this monumental derby to the first derby, but that one sucked. So instead, here’s a brand new theme that (I think) has never been done before!

The idea is to hide a message in your design, use negative space to illustrate or illustrate something that has an hidden meaning like a back-handed compliment.

No politics. No cream shirts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY February 24th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY March 2nd at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Wednesday - Friday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Saturday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

3 Likes

Yikes!

“*This Derby begins MONDAY February 24th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY February 24th at 8pm, CST.

Shortest derby ever??

4 Likes

Yay! It’s an early spring. :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Just to clarify, does the hidden message need to be expressed visually, or can it be done with just words?

What’s less explainable was why the very first rejected derby entry (Offensive Robot) actually got printed.

And yet here we sit, all these months later and White Christmas remains stuck in rejection purgatory. Some world we live in

3 Likes

Tang Yau Hoong is the master of this theme. has so many wonderful negative space designs.

1 Like

Love this work. I can see Patrickspens dominating.
I predict quite a few with this feel.

1 Like

It can be either!

1 Like

:sob:

1 Like

The mysterious ways…we will never know.

when was it printed? i couldna find it inna catalogue

Can it be glow in the dark? Or do you not have the printing option for this?

No glow in the dark.

One of my favorite hoodies! image

4 Likes

What is that one called?

That is The Devil Is In the Details.

there has to be a hidden meaning there

It’s not in the catalog. The copy I have was bought from a thrift store.

Look for it in the Woot Flickr photostream. It was one of my two submissions for their 5-year.