Derby Preview #730: Words

This is an artists choice typography derby! The theme is your choosing, we are looking for a predominately words design, with hand drawn typography or a modified font - no standard or downloadable fonts here. Fonts must be altered in some way. Graphic flourishes are allowed and strongly encouraged, as much or as little as you want!

This Derby begins THURSDAY October 10th & ends THURSDAY October 17th at noon, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing!

1 Like

I am confused. Could we graphics? I thought we had to stick to typography. There seems so many designs using graphics.

We’ve had many derbies like this… They have had many rejections each time. If the image is too predominate it will get rejected. Many designers will pull their drawing and resub quickly with some modification.

Graphic flourishes are allowed and strongly encouraged, as much or as little as you want!

1 Like

Graphic Flourishes not Graphics and Flourishes. I mean it’s their show but the rules have to be a little more clear. I figured it was a typography derby.

Apologies if there was confusion, I thought I was being clear. I wanted this to be a typography focused Derby, but also since we’ve had a lot of typography derbies with strict rules recently, wanted this one to ease up a bit. That’s the intention behind saying graphic flourishes are strongly encouraged and add as many or little as you want.

I didn’t get many questions on this one so I wish i could have clarified before launch!

1 Like

Hi, Everyone!
I am a newbie here.
Could anyone (especially GIMP users)
guide me about, thefile dimensions and resolutions
needed for submitting
the original file in the mail and for the derby.
My original file dimension is 45005400px
and resoultion is 300dpi on GIMP 2.8 version.
on a transparent background.
I want to put the design on a black tee.
So, for the, Shirt Comp, I submitted
600px dimension at 72dpi on black background.
and for, Design Details, I submitted 186186 px at 72 dpi
on black background.
And emailed them 1280
1024 px at 72 dpi.
My query is,
Have I done it correctly?
Should, I keep the resolution at 300dpi?
Also, since my original file dimension is 4500*5400px
when I scale down to the other dimensions the design looks kinda of broad.
Do you have any suggestions to correct this problem?
Many thanks in advance for your help!!!
Thingofbeauty.

Completely relevant and on topic…

1 Like