Derby Preview #722: Rules

Please welcome our honorary guest Editor this week Mr. Steven Lefcourt!!

This weeks derby is all about rules; Pool rules, road signs, rules of thumb, slogans about rules, rulers, and rule breaking! You must design something about rules, in any sense of the word and to make this interesting…you MUST follow all of the below rules:

No politics
No cream tees
No Star Wars
No Cats
No Monty Python
No Designs about Wednesday
Any design including a camel must also include a zebra
No using the number 42
Comic Sans can occupy no more than 15% of your design if used
And lastly but most importantly, you can NOT talk about fight club.

This Derby begins THURSDAY August 22nd & ends THURSDAY August 29th at noon, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing!

2 Likes

4 Likes

and there it is…

2 Likes

1 Like

I’d say it’s one of my favorite Cyanide and Happiness strips (implying to exclude the clips, episodes of The Cyanide and Happiness Show, and clip compilations), but that would imply that I have a list of favorites.

@Lady5tark

Just so that people are clear, any design with a camel NEEDS to include a zebra, but not all zebra designs NEED a camel. Correct?

“Any design including a camel must also include a zebra”

Therefore if A implies B then transversely B implies A.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares…

2 Likes

I’ll defer to Mr. Lefcourt on that one…

Wuzzle means to mix

Zebra designs do not require camels. Your square and rectangle analogy is apt. The rules are exactly as listed. Nothing to infer that is not plainly written.

2 Likes

So, breaking the rules would be following the theme.

1 Like

Just in case anyone is interested, Fight Club meets the second Tuesday of the month at 10:30 pm.

You can make a design about rule breaking without breaking the rules. Unless of course, you want to be BANNED FROM THE INTERNET FOR LIFE. Fact.

1 Like

2 Likes

It bothers me that this gif only has him saying Battlestar Galactica.

3 Likes

Since this was asked elsewhere I thought I’d clarify the “no politics” rule for everyone. Slogans or images about “law” or “rule of law” are allowed as long as they do not reference specific laws, political parties, ideologies, or political imagery.

Wait, so is the no talking about Fight Club just cheeky writing by the staff or can we really not submit Fight Club designs? What if we design something that doesn’t specifically use the words ‘Fight Club’ but just alludes to the book/movie?