Derby Preview #743: Three Marker Challenge

Did you see our updates on our submission page over here??

You are limited to 3 colors in your design, to make this challenge extra fun you must use the first 3 colors generated by this random color generator.

The theme is your choosing, but don’t go over your 3 colors, or you will be in trouble. You are allowed to halftone to create shades, but you can not use transparencies. You have 1 free extra color; black OR white for shadows OR highlights and outlines, but you may not use both. The shirt color can not be used as part of the design but it can be background. So to clarify you can use 3 colors plus white OR black in your design.

*This Derby begins MONDAY January 6th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY January 13th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday - Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

So… how do you know which three colors we randomly got? Do you literally want a screenshot of them, or is it a joke and I can really pick any three I want? I’ve been burned by misreading rules lately, so I want to err on the side of caution. Thanks!

1 Like

Not to speak for Lady5tark,

but I think it goes something like this…

Lady5tark is Rapunzel and Finn would be the rest of us.

2 Likes

btw, it gave me terrible colors. light blue, pale red and gold.
:nauseated_face:

1 Like

Mine are a gold, navy, and brown. Lends itself quite nicely for like, a beer label or something. I’m thinking I’ll pull a few options, a second set of three, if I have time for another design. When I pulled them, it made me think of Kenny Wheeler’s Old Ben Lager design. Almost the exact shades he used, I think.

1 Like

If we submit more than one design, are we limited to the first set of three random colors?

Or, for additional designs, can we generate three more random colors?

Nailed it.

1 Like

It’s one set of 3 colors per design, so for additional entries you can use different colors.

Pick 3 colors, draw a picture, sub.

1 Like

I won’t know which 3 colors you got. :wink:

3 Likes

Good. I won’t have to lie :smiley:

5 Likes

Lady5tark, is this an acceptable level of black to be considered outlining? Papa P himself is all gray, but I used black over it to achieve a darker sort of look for his robes. I’m hoping I kept it close enough for the rules. Can you advise? Thanks!

1 Like

The three colors for that were Red, Green, and Gray. All that white is negative space on a white tee, which I’m thinking doesn’t thwart your rules, but I can certainly toss more gray at it instead, if needed. image

Kate- Can we use the random generator as an inspiration for the color choice or do we have to use the excact colors even if they look horrible?

I will not know the colors you are given by the generator.

1 Like

@Lady5tark
One final question. Will you know the colors given to us by the generator?

:wink:

1 Like

I will not know the colors.