Derby Preview #748: Sloganography

Illustrate a slogan with icons or pictures. This is a MINIMAL TEXT derby. Your slogan can not be in the design, you must only use minimal text to enhance the illustration, like 3-5 words.

Bonus points for humor.

No politics. No cream shirts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY February 10th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY February 17th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday - Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

1 Like

SO, are you talking like slogans from product and/or pop culture? Or are you talking more about mottos? Or even Idioms? Or proverbs? or Hyperbole?

1 Like

It could be anything!

1 Like

Just to be clear, are illustrations that look like text allowed? For instance, this sort of thing or this scenario.

No, illustrations that look like text are not allowed, tey must be symbols.

1 Like

A few examples from the catalog that fit this theme would help a lot.

3 Likes

Yeah need some examples as I am totally confused on this one @Lady5tark

I think what you are getting at is the graphical illustration of idioms, slogan, phrases, etc.
So like this?

Those all feel more like visual puns and not slogans :\

True, that was my first question and she said it could be anything, so I think she was using the term slogan in the most broad sense. So I searched “idiom” in the all designs and these are a few examples.

It sounds to me like it is very open. Illustrate some saying, word, pun, slogan, idiom, proverb, motto, common phrase, etc. without the use of text (incidental text allowed).

We’re sort of on the right track. You could also use iconography to illustrate a slogan or a funny word(s)…similar to these kinds of things:

http://www.brandcalling.com/our-blog/the-importance-of-iconography
http://thetaleofcuriosity.com/iconography/

We don’t have a lot in the catalog to demonstrate where I was going with this theme…but this is one concept I was inspired by…

2 Likes

Gotcha.

I assume this means something like one of these?

Sure.

Hypothetically, if one were to Rick Roll you, using Iconography, would that be slogany enough? (My rough sketch just now.)

2 Likes

I would buy that. Then I can Rick Roll somebody just by walkin’ by… :dancer:

1 Like

Now I can just see a shirt with Rick, from rick and morty, curled into a circle and rolling down a hill.

Oh, ok. So Ikea directions. Got it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yup. By slogan I just mean phrase. But phrase-ography just didn’t rick roll off the tongue quite as well.

Also some kind of easily recognizable slogan or phrase is probably best, so it’s easy for customers to get.

2 Likes

Exactly.