Derby Preview #721: September!

This week’s derby is all around the one, the only Earth, Wind & Fire. Just kidding, but it’s not off limits.

The content of your artwork can be anything that relates to the month of September…the start of school, harvest time, leaf peeping, labor day! No politics, so that democratic debate, however tempting it may be is off limits…

Here are some links to get you started thinking:
Info
History
Earth, Wind & Fire

This Derby begins THURSDAY August15th & ends THURSDAY August 22nd at noon, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing!

Thank you!

1 Like

No dios de los Muertos, this is September, not October. Save the 18 designs that you have been making all year long for next month…

I think all 18 are Walmazan’s.

3 Likes

I would love some Oktoberfest shirts ( it starts in September) . An Oktoberfest themed cuckoo clock would be cool.

1 Like

Beer 0’clock?

1 Like

Drinky Crow’s grandpa!

There’s a derby coming up that’s more fitting for this…artists, make sure you are following the CoW group so you get the latest updates! In the lead up to the holidays we’ll be posting some some sneak previews there!

And for those who DON’T use Facebook?

The updates will be posted here, just a little bit later!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CreepyShinyHoneybadger-size_restricted.gif

1 Like

Excellent! However I’m afraid you have mistaken me for someone capable of drawing and/or graphic design (literally like making something out of nothing. I am amazed by those who have this ability.) Alas, I’m just the guy who shouts out (mostly terrible) ideas from the peanut gallery

4 Likes

I admire that about you. I’ve been tempted to throw out ideas but being in the presence of artists is intimidating.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi all, we are experimenting with the Facebook likes counting as derby votes again this week. As I explained before, the intention is to attract new customers to the derby, and keep customers engaged with the weekly competition. As before the designs from the fog were chosen for the post, as well as the 3 designs just outside the fog. We will continue to watch how this performs as well as listen to all of your feedback, and we do appreciate the feedback.

I like the idea of considering social media response as part of the selection process, but something about likes counting as votes makes me nervous (I think it gives a significant advantage to an already advantaged group, people with large social network followings).

Just speaking personally, I’d rather see Woot editors looking at those numbers, but ultimately selecting winners themselves based on votes, likes, and institutional knowledge of what sells/resonates with buyers.

2 Likes

Along those lines…
My two cents is that the FB votes and likes should be used as a wild-card daily. Maybe mondays print? But then really monitor those numbers and see if they actually do (on average) net the sales that a derby winner or even a regular daily will give you…
This way the derby isn’t “tainted” by an experiment and you can get a real grasp on whether it all pans out. If the FB tallies are supported by real sales, then bumping third place in lieu of FB can be easily defended. I mean dailies do not categorically trump derby winners in over all sales, right? So it wouldn’t really hurt, unless the FB prints do worse on a regular basis.

3 Likes

So we should expect the winner to be of the Supreme Leader or shirtless Putin on a horse?

Now I just want to see a painting of Putin as a centaur…

1 Like