Derby Preview #796: Inventions

I want to thank you all for your input on this Derby. I like when everyone likes the themes!

So in our crowd-sourced theme we have come up with the following rules:

• Real or imagined inventions are allowed. Imagined are preferred.
  • IP is allowed, but it can’t be anything that already exists in an IP. For example, X-Wing alone would be a no, but an ‘add-on’ for the X-Wing would be allowed.
  • Ads, product labels or slogans for said invention are allowed.

No politics and no cream shirts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY January 11th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY January 18th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to have your artwork ready to submit with your entry as part of the new submission process!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, in addition to the rules above please check out our content guidelines here so you know what works and what doesn’t over here at Woot!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

1 Like

When going with IP, are mashups fair game? Like using one franchise-related invention and doing it in the style or using the characters of another franchise? I have an idea, but don’t want to invest too much time if it’s not kosher.

Cool prompt! It’s been a long time since I’ve sniffed up Woot’s alley, but I still recognize some active name from the old days! Planning on entering for this theme and I’m excited to see what everyone else comes up with. Happy creating!

2 Likes

Yeah totally, we love mash-ups.

1 Like

I’m looking at the entries for Inventions, and I don’t see how some of those top entries meet the criteria. I’m not [merely] hoping that my submission does well (of course I do), but some of the entries right now don’t seem to fit the theme and its rules.

There is a ‘tattle’ button on each derby entry where you can anonymously tell us how you think they don’t follow the rules.

1 Like