Dimmable LEDs - Your Choice

The brightness and Lumens will be much better than CFL bulbs. In addition, the life of the bulbs is 10 fold.

LEDs dim great, but it can be complicated to do it well. The two main parts of the system are the LED’s themselves which produce light and a power supply to regulate the power to the LED.

The best dimming method is to send a signal to the power supply to reduce the voltage to the LEDs. This is the method used for LED systems used in the large commercial and entertainment applications.

This is very different then how we work at home which is to reduce the voltage that is running directly to the power supply (rather then just sending a signal and letting the power supply do the voltage regulation).

The bottom line is that standard wall dimmers can work with LED retrofit lamps but results may vary. I am skeptical that the lamps being sold today on Woot that are made by Energetic will dim well. Lamps made by CREE and Philips typically work much better.

LED lightbulbs are great, but they are complex devices – Brand really matters. I would stay far away from the lamps being offered today if you want treacly long life bulbs.

I highly recommend looking for the Energy Star label. Energy Star rated products need to comply with a long list of specifications that go far beyond energy efficiency and capture information about reliability and aesthetic quality. .

Good morning. Depending on the length a manufacturer goes to make LED bulbs compatible with different dimmers, will depend on how compatible they will be with your dimmer. Energetic bulbs should be compatible with 95% of the different types of dimmers.

The size of the bulbs are similar to a traditional incandescent light bulb.

All these bulbs are labeled indoor. I have auto dimming and auto on/off outdoor lighting. How much does the indoor/outdoor labeling matter?

[QUOTE=EnergeticRob]

[QUOTE=EnergeticRob, post:6, topic:441449, post:5, topic:441449]

[/quote .
Energetic Lighting is the brand, and these are all made to be compatible with dimmers.[/quote]

Does that mean they dim, or they just don’t get ruined in a dimmer situation?

As long as these bulbs are not directly exposed to elements such as rain, they should be fine for both indoor and outdoor.

These bulbs dim very well.

Bought these last time and really brightened up the house in the darkest month.

On behalf of peasants everywhere, I object. Remember, we have pitchforks and know how to use them. Ask Dr. Frankenstein.

Is the candelabra one 500 or 700 Lumens

The title says 500 and the description says 700

So are these 40w or 60w equivalent?

These lights are programmed to dim slowly when their tiny microphones pick up the sound of Barry White music.

BTW, I have one obsessive cat who is always knocking over a certain elongated lamp. These bulbs take a licking and keep on emitting.

The 7W Candelabra is 500 lumens and is a 60W Equivalent. The 5W Candelabra is 350 Lumens and is a 40W equivalent.

The problem isn’t with the LEDs, it’s with our experience with filament bulbs.

LEDs generate “white” light the same way CFLs do, by exciting a phosphor with UV light. The color “temperature” is dialed in with th phosphor mix and doesn’t change with voltage or intensity, so that at low light levels it can seem “harsh”.

Filament bulbs implicitly change color temperature as the filaments get cooler (more red) and this is interpreted as a warmer/cozier light.

It is possible to generate this kind of color shift using RGB LED mixing and dynamically controlling the color electronically, but it’s not efficient for home lighting.

Hi Energetic Rob,

I have a ceiling light fixture that has an upper and lower light. The upper light uses 6 15w candelabra incandescent bulbs. The total 90w output is not nearly enough. If I replace them with these, which lumen bulb would you recommend, and do you feel they would be appropriate for this situation.

Also, the dimmer is the built-into-the-switch fan/light control that dims by how long the button is held down (it cycles continuously between dimming and brightening and pauses at the extremes). Would these bulbs play nicely with such a dimmer

Thanks!

I bought the dimmable bulbs in a previous woot. I installed in a very high end dimmable Hunter ceiling fan. When I turn off the light on the fan the light doesn’t completely shutoff unless I turnoff the power at the switch. Obviously still a little power getting to the bulb.

RBG will give you a RED color, not a similar color to incandescent. 2700K would be the closest color to the traditional incandescent.

Hello! If you go with the 350 Lumen Candelabra, you will see a significant increase in light. If you need to light up a room, or want 5-6 times the light, I would recommend the 500 Lumen Candelabra. The light and color output is excellent in both options. These bulbs work well with most dimmers. There are a few of the non common dimmers that they might not be compatible with, but generally speaking if the dimmer came from a major manufacturer, it will work well. Also, for any reason these don’t work the way you want them, you can return them.

In that case, you may have an issue with most LED lights. That type of dimmer leaves power on all the time. Dimming a 75W bulb down to 4 watts or something near that will make the light look off. Because LED lights use much less Wattage, the dimmer will trigger the diodes to light up to their minimums.