Dyson Air Multiplier Bladeless Pedestal Fan

I bought the 10" model the last time it was on Woot. I was skeptical when these came out but I actually tried one in a store and was impressed. BUt like most people, I thought it was way too expensive so when Woot had the 10" model for $169, I grabbed it (sadly, Amazon had a one day sale where it was only $129 just a week after!!!).
Well, I’m duly impressed and it actually surpassed my expectations. It has replaced my Vornado as my daily fan. I base this opinion on performance only and not on aesthetics or the Dyson name. Here are some points

• I never considered “buffeting” a problem but the smooth air transfer of this Dyson really does make a difference. It’s more “natural,” i.e. like the wind.

• The aerodynamics that Dyson claims are true, and that’s what amazed me most. It really does multiply the air flow – A LOT. If you take off the multiplier ring and just rely on the small-bladed fan in the base, you could hardly feel any air movement about a yard away. Even on high, the thrust is weak. Yet with the ring, I can feel the air about 10’ away. And the dispersion is rather wide.

More proof of the multiplying aerodynamics can be seen simply by putting a strip of paper in back, within the perimeter of the ring. You can see it being pulled forward despite there not being any blades parallel to the air current. That proves that air movement is multiplied beyond what is coming out of the holes in the ring (from the base fan).

Yet more proof can be seen if you put a strip of paper outside the ring. It too will be pulled forward, albeit not as vigorously as the strip inside the ring.

The addition of air movement inside and outside the ring is why Dyson calls this an air multiplier. This is more efficient than normal fans, where the only air movement is what is directly moved by the blades.

• the above means that this Dyson is more energy efficient than a normal fan

• The oscillation is very smooth, mostly because it’s so light. Normal oscillating fans use gears to move a very heavy head (where the motor resides). That not only requires a lot of energy (torque) but the gears break easily. Because the Dyson’s motor is on hte base, the only thing it needs to oscillate is the very light hollow ring. That means most of the energy is used the base fan, and very little energy is used for oscillation.

• It’s extremely light and can be easily moved from room to room. I can lift the 10" model with my pinky. This floor model is obviously heavier.

• Cleaning is much easier. No need to disassemble grilles and blades. You can simply wipe the ring and base with some mild detergent. I will say that the air holes in the base are getting somewhat grimy and clogged with dust,

• The ring twists off easily making storage simple. I can easily put the 10" model beneath my bed,

• Placement is easy. I sometime place it on its side on my bed.

===========

BIGGEST NEGATIVE:

• It’s nosier than some fans, especially on low

• You also can’t mount it on a wall.

dyson’s website http://www.dyson.com/store/productFan.asp?product=AM03-SILSIL

The fan is a lie! There are blades … they’re just in the base hidden from view, that’s all.

Last woot off, same $229.99 price

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4711432&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=120

now “he’s a fan”: cute, Marie, cute (not that your name’s Marie, but we’ll see if a certain age picks this joke up).

I bought one last time and it is very quiet and the remote that comes with it is very nice and controls not only on/off but fan speed and oscillation also. I think it is well worth the money spent if you like to watch TV and have a fan blowing on you at the same time and that is about every single person in the Dallas Metroplex so I’d expect these to be sold out if people even try and remember the summer with the 250 degree heat.

Is this fan noisy?

Now woot is thinking with portals…

Last non-woot off: 250 comments

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4683444

also $229.99

and my comments then verbatim:

froogle vs. $229.99 today

Product support page:
http://www.dyson.com/support/help.asp?article=32

including manual:

BTW, if you have a bunch of woot accounts and a lot of money, you can pull off something like this:
[youtube=4WNcjkZ6d0w][/youtube]

grrr, so much savings. With the current dyson black friday/cyber monday sales it’s STILL cheaper on woot.

with dyson’s website savings it’s $349.99
on woot it’s $235 after shipping.

edit: thank you home.woot. This was my first purchase from you.

Thanks for the great review!

Thanks cap’n buzzkill! How about now you explain how Santa couldn’t possibly get to all the houses of the world in one night…

Don’t remind me of the awful summer temps we had in the Metroplex.
Thankfully, we had just upgraded our central air to the top of the line Trane XLi20 highest efficiency unit with dual compressor. That kept our house comfortable and the resultant electric bill much lower than in past years.

Anyway, I liked your review and already sent for one unit of the Air Multiplier.

Thanks,

Hugh in Arlington TX

It’s not a lie if the blades are visible in the picture when you click on it

herp derp

No, that’s not all. There really is an air multiplier effect that cannot be explained by the blades alone. See my review. The effects inside the ring and outside the ring have actual scientific names, but I can’t remember them.

On the lowest speed, it seems noisier than some fans at their lowest speeds, i.e. Vornado. On high it’s comparable to any other fan. That may be due to the amount of air moved, and not any design flaw. It uses a brushless motor, which I assume is quieter. Noise is subjective. On Amazon, some say it’s noisy while others say it’s quiet.

Looing up a device called a eductor. It takes a small high pressure volume and converts it a larger volume using a veturi effect.

You might consider getting a Vornado fan. Actually. they call it an air mover, which is pretty accurate. Unlike normal fans which blows out a wide band of air, the Vornados have a patented blade design based on a jet engine. This results in a focused vortex which moves more air and moves it further. Aiming it at the wall or ceiling helps bounce around the cool air from your air conditioner, and lowers electric bills. The effect is a very gentle breeze that permeates the entire room. It’s also great for moving cooler air from the basement upstairs (simply put at the foot of the stairs aimed up). You can. of course, also use it as a regular fan if you’re only aiming it at one person, or two people sitting close together. Because of the tight vortex, the air won’t reach people sitting wide apart.

PS - thanks for the positive feedback on my review of the Dyson.

According to a great article at HowSTuffWorks, two effects are at play:

***"It boils down to physics. While it’s true that the atmosphere is gaseous, gases obey the physical laws of fluid dynamics. As air flows through the slits in the tube and out through the front of the fan, air behind the fan is drawn through the tube as well. This is called inducement. The flowing air pushed by the motor induces the air behind the fan to follow.

Air surrounding the edges of the fan will also begin to flow in the direction of the breeze. This process is called entrainment. Through inducement and entrainment, Dyson claims the Air Multiplier increases the output of airflow by 15 times the amount it takes in through the pedestal’s motor."***