Echo Plus (2nd Gen)

Echo Plus (2nd Gen)

1 Like

Hint, as with the confusing way Amazon mis-labeled the true 1st gen Echo Show 10, “2nd gen” (the “1st gen Echo Show” had a 7 inch display, not 10 inch), this “Echo Plus (2nd Gen)” is actually a 3rd gen Echo.

What that means in this case - this Echo sounds noticeably better than a true 2nd gen Echo.. We own both and not that the 2nd gen sounds bad… just not as good as this 3rd Gen Echo. You can ignore that hub feature if you do not need it.

You can visually spot the 2nd gen vs 3rd gen Echo difference due to the 3rd gen having slightly rounded sides at the top and bottom. The true 2nd gen Echos have completey straight sides.

Do not let any refurb or used an Amazon device sit in the box after receipt - open it up, inspect, and fully test immediately, so that Woot Customer Service can remedy any issues. (They do in our experience.)

4 Likes

Howdy amigos, okay, soooo. there is also an Echo 2nd edition (without the word “plus”). Can someone please tell me what the difference is (besides Zigbee?). I’m debating the discounted $28 Echo 2 and the Echo 4, which is now on sale for $55. I want quality sound. I don’t care about shape, zigbee gimmicks, etc. Someone please help me break this down.

1 Like

If sound quality is your priority, don’t mess with the Echo true 2nd Gen (non-plus), even at $28. The sound quality of the Echo 3rd Gen (and this Woot deal “Echo Plus 2nd Gen”, which is actually a 3rd Gen Echo!?!) is very noticeably better than the Echo true 2nd Gen.

Others might debate, but I do not think the Echo 4th Gen sounds all that much better vs the Echo 3rd Gen unless you are comparing them next to each other. And while you say you don’t care about shape, the odd dust-collector 4th Gen globe shape takes up a lot more table space. Having said that, if you are paying the same $55 for a new Echo 4th Gen vs a risky used Echo Plus 2nd Gen here for the same price, go with the new Echo 4th Gen.

Finally, if you’re in search of king of the hill Echo sound quality, the Echo Studio “soundly” “beats” all other Echo devices for sound quality. That thing supposedly has 13-14 microprocessors in it - explaining why it was in short supply due to chip shortages during the lockdowns. And it’s currently on sale for $154 at Woot mother Amazon, including a “free” smart bulb.

1 Like

Why does this cost so much more than the 4th gen? The 4th gen 39. 99 and this 54.99.thats a massive price difference for an older unit. I’ve been wanting one to match with my gen 3,but not at this price.

Odd indeed.