Espressione Caffe Novecento Espresso/Cappuccino Machine

from coffeegeek.com:

Oy vey! Has anyone tested this thing for lead (and other toxic) content? I’ve discovered alarming amounts of lead in my Chinese products lately, one was a BABY TOY, also an ex-costco item (which I’m pretty sure is where woot got these).

Target had this machine on clearance a few months ago and I did some research. Basically there’s not much info on it. There are some glowing reviews that seem to come from paid reviewers and there are some horrible reviews that seem to come from people that have bought it.

After a few days of reading I decided not not buy it. The negative reviews were really negative and with the lack of information online about this machine I wasn’t willing to take the chance.

If you do buy this machine you’re going to want to spend a couple hundred dollars and buy a good bur grinder.

Short answer? No.

I hate to be the “home equipment doesn’t even compare to pro equipment” guy, but…

Two of the biggest differences would be the size of the boiler and plumbed vs. “pour over.” This machine is not hooked up to the water supply, it simply has a tank that you fill by pouring water into it. Also, the “boiler” - the tank that holds the hot water, is only large enough for a few drinks, not enough to withstand even a busy 10 minutes in a coffee shop.

You’d be much better off with a used commercial machine. They can be found without too much trouble at places that sell used restaurant equipment.

Too bad most commercial equipment is uglier than a Yugo after being hit by a train.

Absolutely the BEST reason to buy this…perhaps the ONLY reason. :wink: Keep this one on the counter, and the functional Krups (or nice Rancilio Silva with PID mod) under the counter for actually producing espressos!

First of all, just to get this out of the way, for god’s sake - it’s “espresso,” not “expresso.” Now, steaming milk also cooks it. When you steam milk with a steam wand, you have very precise control over the temperature and the type of foam produced. Also, steaming milk with a powerful machine is very fast as compared to microwaving and/or stove-top heating and then spinning with a hand blender. Clean up? All I do wipe down the steam wand with a wet towel as soon as I’m done steaming and then blow a tiny bit more steam out of the wand afterwards.

there’s some Amazon reviews on this product

search Amazon for the product name to find a few helpful reviews

Wow! i was teetering on “to buy or not to buy” until i carefully read the list of what you actually get for this price… it comes with a SPOON!! I’m in for 3!

Where’s the flux capacitor located on this thing??

You coffee snobs are hilarious.
If you want REAL espresso, you grow your own Arabica beans and feed them to your own Jacu bird to poop out (or palm civet for the pedestrian among you), then you harvest them for roasting yourself.

amateurs.

$211 at Sams Club on line, includes delivery.

I’ve found that store grinders are often ether worn out of misadjusted. I could never get the right grind for my Handpresso using one. Your experience may vary.

And pronounce… I know… I got a total steal… I love it…

I’ve owned several mid-range machines, (Saeco SS, Swiss Krups) and some cheapos. I also have a Handpresso for travel and work. First, bean quality and grind IS important. But I question the pooh-poohing of the pressurized portafilter.
In an ideal world freshly ground, high quality beans, properly tamped create the back pressure needed to make crema. But I use what I can find or afford and the “artificial” back pressure makes a better cup with mediocre beans. My opinion.

I use one of these:

Its an ELMA grinder from spin made around 1900. Its a counter top Burr mill and full adjustable. I got it on EBAY for somthing around $40. The thing is amazing… really… and it can grind down to a turkish consistency… well beyond espresso…

You go on to talk about frothing milk, etc. Let’s get this straight: a shot of espresso has nothing to do with a latte, other than being a component of it. I get up, make a shot in my pump machine faster than a dripper can get started. It’s the kind of coffee I enjoy. It’s an art, an aesthetic, not a habit or addiction.

Don’t know about you folks but I prefer to start my day with a hot, steaming cup of Woot.

I can’t understand why anyone would go to all the trouble of making meals for themselves when they could just go to the local 24 hour QuickieMart and pick up a nuked burrito and a slurpee… Its so much cheaper than cooking and the cleanup is a breeze. Also, why would anyone bother with orange juice? I mean, you can just take a orange flavored starburst and drop it in a cup of hot water and it tastes exactly the same! But then again, most people aren’t as lucky as I am living right down the street from a 24 hour QuickieMart.

Really though… there is a huge difference between whipping milk with a wire and integrating steam into it, heating and cooking it…Most places however burn the Krapp out of the milk and end up scooping scalded foam onto a drink that is more the consistency of Mr Bubble rather than pouring a finely steamed layer of silky smooth spuma onto the top of the espresso…

Gotta stay up somehow to follow the woot offs…

Somehow this just sounds wrong…

Bwahahahahahahaha

(breath)

Bwahahahahahahaha