Eye Fi Explore 2GB Wi-Fi SD Card

I got this deal as well. And yes, you need a computer and yes it automatically uploads to Picasa (if you set it so it will).

DAMN YOU!

That one is the Eye-Fi Share, not the same model. The explore is the former top of the line, feature-wise.

I just never have seen the 40 dollar value in this product. Tying storage and wireless together just isn’t important enough for me I guess.

In for 1. This is different than the eye-fi Share which just has wifi access. This is the “Explore”, which is a discontinued model that isn’t listed on their main page.

The main advantages are that it allows uploading to internet sites but allows includes 1 year of included wifi access at a bunch of access points.

Here is the info from the manufacturer page:
Eye-Fi Explore

* 2 GB of memory for storing photos like a typical SD card.
* Wireless JPEG photo uploads to computer and web
* Unlimited Eye-Fi WebShare Service – Eye-Fi provides free and unlimited uploads of photos to your computer and photo sharing, printing, blogging or social networking websites.
* Eye-Fi WebShare Service handles full-resolution jpeg images and intelligently re-sizes photos if limited by your chosen photo or social networking website.
* Unlimited and automatic WPS Geotagging – Automatically geotags your photos as you take pictures.
* Hotspot Access for 1 year – the ability to upload from more than 10,000 Wayport Wi-Fi hotspots across the US as well as any open hotspot your Eye-Fi Explore Card can access.

From what I can tell from this page:
http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/features/hotspot-access

This is normally $14.99/year.

I have the most basic version of the card, auto uploads to flickr with privacy set to private. I come later and set the privacy to public on pics I approve for the internet.

WOOT OFF!!! YAY!!

What sold me is the fact that it automatically tags photos with your location (if wifi is present at the time of the photo). This is admittedly useless feature, but cool if you are on a trip and want to share with the folks at home.

Does this work with the memory cards used by the Sony cameras?

OK. I now understand it. It only uploads to internet sites. Not to your computer. It diminishes its value for me. I would have liked to go out and shoot pictures and then come back home and it would load it automatically to my computer or network share.

I got one of these the last time around for my Kodak P850 (listed as unsupported) it’s geotagged everything I’ve shot so far, and has auto-uploaded from networks I didn’t even know were there. This is an awesome card, especially for older cameras that don’t support SDHC (like mine) but 2gb of pictures is a lot even for newer cameras (I get about 500 pictures at highest-quality on 5.1 MP).

I bought one of these from the last Woot.

To answer some of the questions:

Google’s deal isn’t necessarily better. This is an Explorer card, Google’s is not.

This card does NOT transfer video. You can take video on your camera and store it to the card, but you have to transfer videos the old fashion way.

You CAN upload to social media sites automatically.

You CAN configure the card to transfer straight to a computer, and the pictures don’t have to go to the web service first.

NO,

Yes, it does this. It runs an app on your pc to download the pics from the website as they are uploaded.

why do wootoffs hit at the worst times for me?? this is the busiest week ever this semester and theres a wootoff… sigh well i suppose that is how life works

Yeah!!! Woot off alright!

Looks like I haven’t missed anything important yet.

Yeah it is a good day!

worth noting, this one isn’t compatible with RAW images, and the google deal is a recurring charge of $50 for 200GB of storage (that you can easily cancel and go back to the lower storage amt)

How is this different than the card slot in the side of my laptop, or any other card reader?

And that NEW card does video and geotagging too (Geotagging only free for lifetime for uploads to Picassa, otherwise just 1 year included)

A well spent exta $5

better deal $45 for new including shipping and tax.
http://www.jr.com/eyefi/pe/EYE_EYEFI2GB/
j and r