Fire HD 10 Tablet (2019, 9th Gen)

Fire HD 10 Tablet (2019, 9th Gen)

3 Likes

This is the Fire Tablet that you want!

I have several, and refurbs arrived looking and working like New.

4 Likes

Agree. This was my original tablet & I feel it works more reliably than my newer one.

2 Likes

As someone who has never had a tablet, how does this compare to the 13th gen version which is currently $80? I just want to use it as an in-between for my laptop and phone. Nothing fancy but I don’t want super glitchy if I am using it for a call.
TYIA

1 Like

The 13th has zippier CPU (same core count basically). But for me, more RAM is a big deal on recent tablets. i have a 4GB RAM 2021 tablet and it spanks what came before. 3GB might do it bit 4 is nice. Also there’s a fire Max 11 if you want the best - 4GB RAM, more advanced ARM cores. Not sure on price yet.

If you’re asking whether I’d swap a 2GB tablet for 3 or 4 and newer, I’d pay double the price, the extra performance from more RAM is awesome.

4 Likes

I can’t comment on this 9th gen but the 10th gen that came out after it, I owned for a couple of years until I gave it to my father in law so he could watch TV shows from the bed (he’s bedridden right now, but hopefully better soon!).

Assuming this one is even half as good as the 10th gen, this would be a great first tablet especially for the price. I’m honestly tempted to get one myself as the cheap Chuwi Android tablet I “upgraded” to just isn’t all that great. The Fire tablet I had was faster, and had no bugs that I noticed whereas my cheap Android tablet is full of bugs.

1 Like

I started with the 8th gen and am currently using the 9th gen and i think it works great, I’ve had it for 2 years and installed the play store onto it and most every app I’ve tried works fine.
Seems like a good deal for $30.

1 Like

Forgot this had only 2 GB RAM. It performs seamlessly for my uses which are mostly streaming & video playback.

1 Like

I don’t think you can make calls with this tablet. I think Alexa can be set up to make calls, but I have not done that. Maybe someone else knows…

1 Like

Why is the tablet that was just delivered to me insisting on being set up with a kids account?!? I’ve read the sales page and did not see ANYTHING that stated this was a kids tablet.

Here you go.

How do I get an Amazon tablet out of kid mode?

To switch out of kid mode, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the Profiles icon (the silhouette). Then, tap your adult profile. Enter your password to log out of the child profile. You can then tap the child profile icon to switch back to kid mode whenever you want.

1 Like

There’s also something strange about these tablets. I got past the kids mode fairly quickly, and I can install the first 3 of the 4 files necessary to install Google Play Store on them, but the actual Play Store file, com.google.vending generates a parsing error when I try to install it. Any ideas as to how to deal with this? Fire OS is the up to date version as are the Google install files.

Problem solved! Just use the previous version of the Google Play Store install file. It works and will eventually update itself or you you can simply install the updste yourself. This was a pain to troubleshoot, but I love a challenge.

3 Likes

Great! Thanks for the info…

But WHY would this device, which is refurbished and therefore should be back to factory settings, REFUSE to allow me to complete setup without setting up a kids mode? I just don’t get it…

Maybe Kids mode isn’t changed as part of the factory reset?

If you have not already done so you might also try the full factory reset by holding the power and volume control buttons down to access the recovery controls.

I had to wrestle with the kids mode software for about an hour as I could not quit or bypass the sign up/sign in screen. I finally gave up and went to subscriptions in my Amazon account and there I was able to quit out of renewal of kids zone or whatever they call it. You get a free year whether you want it or not.

1 Like

I think these may be classified as “refurbished”, but I bought two of them, and there was not even a hint of a cosmetic blemish on either one of the tablets The firmware was old. I suspect that these were kids models that never sold from Amazon.

1 Like

Looks like mine hasn’t even shipped yet!

It seems I am an adult know, at least according to the tablet… but it is still aggravating as all heck that these things require setting up a kids account. I am inferring from this that the tables were not fully refurbished.

I did kill the kids zone subscription, but how many folks will think of doing that? My guess is that Amazon will be getting some $4.99/mo payments in about a year from a number of people who have no clue… and that is unethical on Amazon’s part. (TT - not blaming Woot, and especially not blaming you)

I actually think that they were originally setup as “kids versions” (not actual refurbs) of the the 2019 release Fire10.1 HD 32 GB base model. The two I bought were pristine, and I buy a lot of refurbs, and I look for the “blemishes”. I bought a “kids version” of the new 6.8 inch Kindle paperwhite for my wife a couple of years ago because it was ~$35 cheaper than a standard version and it came with a case. It was also jammed with the kids software, and I had to spend some time clearing that one up too, but I learned a few tricks along the way - so it qualified as an educational experience!

2 Likes