Gigabyte H610M S2H V2 DDR4 Motherboard

Gigabyte H610M S2H V2 DDR4 Motherboard

I don’t know anything about motherboards :sob: is this good for a gaming computer? My teens gaming computer is not turning on and google says might be this thing- I’m tempted to buy and watch a diy tutorial but… I’ve no idea if this is a good buy for gaming. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You would need to make sure you have a compatible CPU, CPU cooling, and RAM first. Do not assume the existing computer’s components will be compatible.

3 Likes

While the motherboard can be a possibility for a “won’t turn on”, it certainly wouldn’t be my first thought. I’d start with the power aspects first. Is the cord firmly plugged in? Did a power switch get turned off accidentally? Some computers have a main power switch on the back too.

If it’s still dead, I’d lean towards the power supply itself. If it’s a standard ATX power supply, you have lots of options. If it’s proprietary, you’re limited to the manufacturer only.

What are the specs of the computer?

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

2 Likes

Thank you so much! These are the specs (on the link from the mother ship) and we bought it 2 years ago:

https://a.co/d/08v1aff3

And this is how it all went down 29 days ago:

My son was playing Roblox (he joked that he’s not playing with his brothers friend on Roblox again lol bc it messed or corrupted his PC).. Our other teen has the same exact same computer and they were playing with each other and a friend- but only my eldest teens computer had this issue (bought at the same time too).

Refresh rate was at 60 fps and we couldn’t view it in advanced display either. Roblox also hits 2 fps consistently no matter what game he joined.

Tried Turning the computer and monitor off and on again, along with unplugging the monitor from the computer. He had also looked at the monitor settings, but couldn’t figure out how to change the refresh rate.

So we did a tutorial (pic attached)

We did a DDU install.. following instructions the tutorial provided and it was working again for a couple days, then it went out and the lights turned on for a second when powering on but then nothing.

I have a video of it turning on and off but can’t upload it. Basically the lights (fans?) lights up for a second then off then repeat. Screen is totally black.

Edit to add: yes he checked the power cord too to see if it was plugged in completely. I’ll look up the power cord now

Thank you so much! I had no idea. Is there a guideline somewhere I can refer to, to see if we have compatible parts?

Power cord is most likely fine, but I’m still leaning towards a failed PSU here. Given the sparsity of information, the components used (and quality thereof) is a mystery. They don’t even call out the actual CPU model; only as hexacore/3.2GHz, which pretty much means a 2017-2018 era i7-8700. Even two years ago, they were possibly using aged, remanufactured, and/or repurposed components.

Do you have some pics with the glass removed? That may offer more clues.

Back on topic, the motherboard here definitely WILL NOT work. H610 = 12th, 13th, and 14th gen.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

2 Likes

Ok I’ll go grab some but pls forgive our lighting- it’s an older home (there is no ceiling light - actually technically not true bc there are like 4 lights in bathroom and other room(s) but they don’t qualify as a light- so everything is lamps) I’ll have my son shine a light as we go too to help

Thank you so much for all your insight and help so far! :folded_hands:t2: we really appreciate it!

I’m so sorry! I don’t know how I forgot to come back on the next day (we did take pics that evening but was dark so they didn’t come out as good/parts easy to make out) so we had planned to come back the next day and I’m just remembering it now bc my teen asked if I got any responses :face_with_peeking_eye::see_no_evil_monkey: I told him it was totally my fault :woman_facepalming:t2:

Though it has been a busy last few weeks, but again I’m so sorry. Thank you again for all your help!

1 Like

Just adding- I did buy a shell(?) off Woot to start over if I need but if this is an easier fix, I’m all for trying that first :folded_hands:t2::face_exhaling: