Hammocks by Twisted Root Design

Hey Wooters!

Due to mysterious technical difficulties tonight’s individual hammock forum threads have been consolidated into this single thread.

Feel free to “swing by” and “hang out” but if you have a question or comment be sure to specifically identify which hammock product you are talking about.

Carry on!

Nothing like a brand new company that is likely going to be gone in a few months offering a copy of other brands that sell for less.

This, suspiciously looks to be from the same guy who brought us the inflatable tube chair copy on woot.

If we could please bring back the

Yukon Outfitters AP-V2camo Ultralight Hammock - Camo

so very nice would be.

Does anybody have any information on this company? I can’t seem to find a shred of information on them, all I want is a review on quality. I’m with the person above me, I’d love to see the Yukon Outfitters camping hammocks back again.
Edit I realized like an idiot that the threads are consolidated after posting. I’m looking for info on Twisted Root.

I have to bring up for consideration the bottom item on the list of features for the Twisted Root Design Tree Straps:

“Max Weight: 250 lbs. (each; so 500 lbs. together)”

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not a hammock camper, so that’s a distinct possibility), but if each of the straps can hold up to 250 lbs., wouldn’t you have to install both straps at one end of the hammock for the “500 lbs. together” part to make any sense? And if so, what’s holding up the other end of the hammock?

Physics says that one 250# strap on each end will support a total of 500#. So, you wouldn’t need to double them up.

Maybe more interesting is how these are specified. The tension on a straps holding a 250# person varies greatly depending on the angle to the ground, which itself is going to vary with how much things stretch when that weight is applied.

At 90 degrees to the ground (hanging straight down) the straps need to be able to hold 250#, or only 125# each.

To set up at 30 degrees from the ground, holding 250# up requires 500# tension total on the straps.

At 20 degrees from the ground, a 730# pair of straps is required.

At 5 degrees from the ground, you’re effectively a tightrope walker and would require about a one and a half ton rated pair of straps to hold 250#.

I’m betting the webbing has a working load rating of 800-1000#.

No you would not. However, what you would need to do is some trigonometry. Unless the straps are hanging perfectly vertical (pretty unlikely scenario) the 500 lbs does not refer to the weight of the person or people in the hammock. When stretched out between two trees the straps and hammock are under a lot of tension. The more horizontal you want it, the more tension needed. The weight in the hammock is the vertical component of the load. That combined with the tension in the straps determine the angle, or alternatively the desired angle determines how tight you need to stretch the straps in order to counteract the sag.

However, I’ll bet the 250 lbs number is nowhere near the breaking strength of these straps (which is probably in the single digit thousands of pounds range) but rather a loose fuzzy number given on the assumption that nobody is going to do the calculations correctly, so best to just low-ball it.

I suspect this is Yukon Outfitters making the same exact hammock under a different brand specifically for Woot. Just like buying the generic cereal in the grocery store under their brand name - the grocery store doesn’t own a cereal production facility, but the producer will make it for less (or in this case, the same) under the store’s name in order to not dilute their brand name.

I would not be surprised to see more Twisted Root Design outdoor gear on Woot in the near future.

Thank you much. Very clearly explained. Staff, that’s a quality post if ever I saw one.

If that is indeed the case, hopefully the excellent quality/value (particularly the value aspect, in my experience) of all the Yukon Outfitters products I’ve bought here would continue under the new moniker.

Wasn’t Yukon Outfitters basically a company created to sell outdoor gear exclusively to Woot/Amazon? I’d never heard of them before they started selling their stuff here.

I have 2 of the Yukon Outfitters version (for me and my son) and this looks identical. I do like it, just finished a 5 day backpacking trip in the white mountains with the hammock and hammock fly from Yukon and stayed dry through a torrential downpour.

I would like both the screened hammock and the fly to lose some weight though. If they did an ultralight version of these I would be interested as long as they weren’t super expensive.

Thanks

Happy National Hammock Day!

We’re really excited about our first Woot event. Please let us know if we can answer any questions.

Nice job getting the web site up today. Since your ssl cert was issued yesterday it doesn’t look like you’ve been at it very long. While it could be considered sketchy I choose to think you’re just getting started and wish you luck. In for 1.

I couldn’t find it in the description, but how many tree straps come in an order? I assume 2… But wanted to make sure. thanks!

We are fresh out the oven and looking to turn some heads. Thank you giving us a go. Can’t wait to hear your feedback. Keep following us on fb too, we’re cooking up all kinds of goodies.

You are correct. One for each end. All our TRD hammocks come with two awesome aluminum carabiners too. Find a couple sturdy trees. Slap these bad boys on and you can easily adjust to find that perfect hang.

Easy way to figure out how tough you need your straps to be:

Hang your hammock.

Look at the approximate angle between the tree (vertical) and the strap supporting the hammock.

Take the cosine of that angle. That’s the percentage of the strap’s breaking strength that is available to support a static load placed in the hammock.

As you mentioned, the strap’s load rating is a fuzzy number far below the static breaking strength, but it can be used as a rule of thumb with this method, so:

A hammock hung at 45 degrees on two 250lb. straps should support a 350lb person during normal use.

cos(45)= .7
250 * 2 * .7 = 350

It’s good advice to hang your hammock as close to 45 degrees as you can, because much above that drastically reduces the usable strength of your straps.

That’s good advice for someone interested in maximising the load capacity of a strap.

I hang mine at 30 degrees which is essentially the perfect angle, I can’t imagine 45 degrees.

Using your helpful formula, I get 250 * 2 * .15 (cos(30)) which gives me a load of 75 pounds.

But I use 1/4 rope as a strap, doubled over, it has a breaking strength of 2500lb so using your formula I get 750 lbs, which seems good enough for me.