Hand Blown Wine Decanter

LOL

Ok! I give!!! You got me!!

Finally, I ordered this beveled version to go with my “original” WD decanter (a true collectors item). The last 50 or so times it was offered, I resisted, but with the economy in turmoil I feel i MUST do my part to stimulate…something.

I think I’ll use it to decant the Iron Horse sparklers I just purchased, and see if I can down a decanterfull before the bubbles run out. Or maybe I’ll use it like “das boot” in beerfest. And can this thing hold a paper towel roll? I’d also use it as a fish tank, but I get confused easily and really have no idea what the proper decant time is on a 2006 Red Koi. How does it hold up when wielded as a weapon against a home invader? Does it protect the home better when filled with PS, or is that just a myth?

I guess the real question is…how have I lived without this for so long!!!

One final question…is it wrong that i snicker every time I read that this is hand blown?

Do glass blowers in Europe make better decanters? As for the fired rim, that sounds so dangerous!

Not if you intend to drink it…

I could be wrong, but why are you on the wine.woot.com forum if you don’t drink wine? did you get lost? maybe you were looking for vase.woot.com?

What’s the point of another hunk of leaded glass coming between me and my wine? wine comes bottled in glass. why not just pour wine from bottle into mouth?

Oh, except the wine that comes in a box. Then there’s no glass, just wine and mouth. Seems like a good combo.

I like the shirt and the camera, just wish they’d replace the pink Pentax already. :-/

Not that you would put two bottles. The fact that two bottles fits proves how much air will get to the wine. The lead in the glass has nothing to do with the aeration. The fact that this decanter is lead free means that no lead will seep into your wine and then, into your belly. Lead is not good for you. Lead glass, while it sounds pretty, is not good for alcohol (an acidic liquid) because it seeps into the liquid that you consume.

So why do some wine glasses or decanters cost MANY times what others do? Any idea?

Thanks.

I’ve followed the wine-related gear at World Market (and bought friends and relatives small wine racks and such there), and the various decanters I’ve taken a look at there aren’t up to the standards of the wine.woot one. I’ve bought the w.w. one for myself and as gifts for friends. The World Mkt ones had an inferior look whereas in person the w.w. decanter looks somewhat like a piece of art.

The benefits of decanting have become hackeneyed. It is amazing what an hour in a decanter can do to a bottle of wine. With highly tannic wines, CS and especially PS, decanting is almost required to drink them. It is required if you want to get everything that the wine has to offer.

Actually lead crystal is pitted which allows further aeration of the wine as it moves around the glass. Lead crystal is commonly sold and more expensive than cheap wine glasses and decanters. ?

First post.

Had to comment since I just bought 3 during gift week two weeks ago (http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=6689). Just received them on Monday and used mine for the first time tonight! In fact, I’m looking at the vase/decanter as I type and finishing off a glass of the Laura Zahtila CS (http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=6523).

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I first opened the box, because the decanter is so plain. However, after using it and seeing it on my hutch, I’m beginning to appreciate it’s simplicity more.

The glass is about 1/8 inch thick around the neck and thicker at the base. It’s has a nice weight to it and feels very sturdy. It has a sticker on it that states “Hand Made in Poland”.

My only complaint is that it’s a bit hard to pour when full (and, hence, when sober). I suppose it takes some practice, but the shape causes the wine to gush at a certain angle. Also, the first glass I poured, the wine dribbled out over the edge when I stopped pouring.

O.K., I think that’s enough description on such a simple decanter. I promise my future posts won’t be so verbose. I just recently discovered wine.woot and am now hooked. The community has been extremely helpful and educational to me.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Why do they need the recipients e-mail address if it’s a gift?

Oh! WITHOUT lead, not free lead molecules. I guess nothing is free anymore. Still, I’m not convinced. Whenever I leave wine out it goes bad, turns to vinegar. Seems to me that we want to keep the air away from the wine, but maybe I’m just not timing it to the milisecond and surface area contact. Yeah, I know, the tanins are supposed to mellow out or something if you get them drunk on air. Maybe a straw in the wine glass would do the same thing? Hand blow air through your lead free straw and the wine become Nirvana, or at least Courtney Love in a thong.

Bottoms up!

and that would be… the alcohol! :wink:

I have a Vinturi and love it, so I’ll skip the decanter… :wink:

If you’re leaving the wine out long enough to turn to vinegar… eek.

As wines age, they oxidize (even in the bottle). This can cause changes in the texture, taste, etc. By using a decanter, you can ‘age’/oxidize the wine in a short amount of time. A wine that is too tart or tannic may open up and become quite fruity and less bitter (or less tannic) with a little time in the decanter.

I have a bottle of Menage a Trois at home, which I want to drink with my wife shortly. However, a friend who bought it at the same time as I did, found it to be too young and tight. An overnight with the cork removed did wonders for the wine. Putting it into the decanter, I should be able to drink it in an hour or two, rather than waiting over 24 for the wine to open up.

Isn’t that Christmas?? So do I get it after Christmas??

Also, I now realize that that is Christmas Eve and I was mistaken. Dear everyone, please look forward to me never posting on here again. Yours in friendship, John.

1. Christmas is Thursday (today is Friday, 12/19, add 6 and you get Thursday - at least that is what my outlook calendar is saying)…

2. Click the little ‘reply’ link on the bottom left corner of the comment field.

3. It’s ok, young padawan. We’re all learning. Keep posting and asking questions!

Christmas is Thursday. Swing and a miss!