HP ZBook Fury 17.3" G8 Mobile Workstation

HP ZBook Fury 17.3" G8 Mobile Workstation

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

What the hell HP? Did they have a pallet of hard drives from 2007 they had to write off so they stuck them in these otherwise really nice laptops? Not having a NVMe SSD like the 15 inch version in this offer is a crime, it completely cripples the performance of the machine.

2 Likes

At least they didn’t put a 5400 RPM drive in there. I’ve seen them put out in the past couple years.

Checking the specs on HP - it at least does support NVMe drives. Still doesn’t make sense why HDD would be the ONLY storage.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4299113-4249268-16

For the price though you could easily clone and drop in a solid 2 TB SSD. You could also clone to a NVMe if you have the right cloner (last I check they still were a little pricey). https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Docking-Station-Offline-DS-UNHC/dp/B0BP2ZRPKJ?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

clonezilla works great.

Once again, I come here to woot and disappointed in the false advertising. A furry ZBook is advertised and not a speck of hair in the pictures. :wink:

How rude!

Almost seems like it may be a mistake. 16GB memory also seems low for a machine like this, but both could be accurate.

Agreed and I’ve done this in the past when upgrading someone’s HDD based laptop to NVMe, using a USB3-NVMe dongle. It works fine and at worst you may have to tweak the EFI folder on the new drive so Windows boots properly from it.

My issue is just the principle of crippling a nice, fast, NVMe capable laptop with 20+ year old technology that has moving parts when modern NVMe drives are actually cheaper per GB.

Grrrrr missed it. I have plenty of ddr4 and nvme sticks hanging around to being this up to snuff… alas my i7 g6 will have to keep truckin a bit longer :sweat_smile:

@moderators - Will there be any more Zbook Fury laptop deals coming up?

1 Like

We don’t have that information. It’s up to what our buyers and vendors can source.

2 Likes

Understood, thanks!

Yeah im also hoping they bring a similar Zbook Fury deal back. I just missed this one.