Kindle Oasis (2017) Waterproof E-Reader

Kindle Oasis (2017) Waterproof E-Reader

I love Kindles and the Paperwhite is perfect for me, but I ordered an Oasis from Woot a while back and just couldn’t get into it. On the positive side it has a larger screen which translates into fewer page flips for the same size font as the smaller readers, and the screen is clear and sharp with almost no glare even in the brightest sunlight, and it has a ton of memory (32GB). Of course, having it waterproof was a real bonus as that allowed me to use it while relaxing in our spa so I was sold on it when it came up on Woot for a price I was willing to pay.

However, the one-sided ergonomics (one side thicker with the page turn buttons and the other side thinner with nothing to hold onto) actually made it uncomfortable for me for longer reading sessions. In order to shift it between hands you have to flip it around EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. and that becomes tiresome after a while. The page turn buttons were only truly useful when reading where the screen could get wet and freak out (thinking the water spots were touches) - at which point there is a setting to turn off the touch controls on the screen and only use the buttons. Otherwise I was too used to swiping and if I kept a finger on the buttons I occasionally turned the page by accident.

But the biggest turn-off was the short battery life. I am an avid reader (a few hours a day on average) but I was charging the Oasis every 2-3 days (even when using Airplane Mode to reduce the power consumption) versus every 2-3 weeks for my Paperwhite. I thought maybe I just got one with a bad battery but read on Kindle forums that this issue was all too common with the Oasis line. Hopefully some future software update will fix whatever is causing the problem. YMMV.

I still have my Oasis from Woot for now but ended up de-registering it from my account because it wasn’t getting used. I recently purchased the new waterproof Paperwhite during the past Prime Day for $79 so that is my new go-to Kindle.