Kodak 480GB Internal Solid State Drive

Kodak 480GB Internal Solid State Drive

Looks like these not normally sold in US…

Ummmm… can I use this with a Mac?

look like OEM of this:
http://www.emtec-international.com/en/drives/hdd-ssd/x150-ssd-power-plus

I should of checked here first but my research lead to the same thing. Looking on Amazon for one of their drives there are 4 reviews. 3 of which say their drive died quickly, with two saying that Emtec doesn’t honor their warranty. They will apparently not respond to warranty requests.
After reading that, I’m going to avoid these drives like the plague.

6 Likes

They rent out the Kodak name for people with too much junk on hand. Just like Polaroid. The name is the most valuable asset to the company. I remember a “Polaroid” digital camera on Woot years ago, someone commented it’s a “great brand” - I replied that if you would buy a camera with the same specs and warranty that had the name “Craparoid” go for it!

Even when a company like Kodak survives, it makes money by leasing out it’s name for brand recognition. How committed is Kodak to ‘producing’ - (picking a company in China to rent it’s name to), great reliable solid state drives? Google search Kodak Solid State Drive… yeah.

4 Likes

Yup. "They rent out the Kodak name for people with too much junk on hand. Just like Polaroid. The name is the most valuable asset to the company. I remember a “Polaroid” digital camera on Woot years ago, someone commented it’s a “great brand” - I replied that if you would buy a camera with the same specs and warranty that had the name “Craparoid” go for it!

Even when a company like Kodak survives, it makes money by leasing out it’s name for brand recognition. How committed is Kodak to ‘producing’ - (picking a company in China to rent it’s name to), great reliable solid state drives? Google search Kodak Solid State Drive… yeah."

2 Likes

Buy a decent one. These are “iffy” at best.

Yeah… Red flags:

1. No history on part number.
  2. Anytime you can buy almost half a terabyte SSD for $39…and finally…
  3. Kodak???

I like how they couldn’t even get SATA III right on the label…

“SAT III” coupled with the inconsistent capitalization and bad kerning makes this thing look like a counterfeit, even if it’s not.

If they can’t even get their label right, I don’t really have high confidence in their ability to manufacture the drive properly, either.

6 Likes

Well Emtec was purchased by Dexxon Groupe Holdings SA and they manufacture SD cards, USB drives, and SSD. Dexxon states that they are “the exclusive worldwide distributor of licensed KODAK Media Products.”
http://www.kodakflash.com/kodak-ssd.html

Here is the data sheet with the odd spelling of SAT rather than SATA for item EKSSD480GX150K - which does seem to be the same as the old Emtec designation.
http://www.kodakflash.com/download/product-sheet/ssd/kodak-internal-ssd-x150.pdf

Yeah, maybe I trust too much, but bought two.

Buy Samsung

1 Like

DEXXON Groupe is the exclusive worldwide distributor of licensed KODAK Media Products, including memory cards and USB flash drives.

79 avenue Louis Roche
92230 Gennevilliers
FRANCE

Phone: +33 (0) 826 460 450

The real Kodak still exists in Rochester NY. SSDs are not listed among their product lines, but brand licensing is****

Bought one and when it fails next week, I’m going to mount it on the wall in my office, like art, next to, “Dogs Playing Poker.”

3 Likes

Somewhat off-topic, but a few years ago I would have agreed with the Polaroid comment. I’ve got a “Polaroid portable DVD player” that was clearly just branded cheap Chinese. However, flying home from CES I met a guy from the “new” Polaroid and it seems they have reinvented themselves and had to re-formulate the chemistry they pioneered - totally new company. I wish them the best in re-incarnation.

2 Likes

Wow, when I saw Kodak, I immediately thought this was a parody item like you might see during a Woot Off.

Hmmmm… Well, remember the old saying: “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”
At 60, maybe I’ve seen too much of the “branding” BS - with names being sold as the biggest assets of failed companies.

1 Like

When the name is the most valuable asset, you gotta keep up appearances… "…STRENGTHENING BRAND

Explaining the unusual strategy of increasing ad spending even as the company makes significant cuts elsewhere, he said Mr. Carp and CEO George Fisher “agree on the need to strengthen the brand and value position of the products. If film were an absolute commodity, [a price] strategy would work, but it’s not.” https://adage.com/article/news/ad-spending-escapes-kodak-s-ax-budget-110-mil-rise-photo-giant-cuts-1-bil/70031

Tons of “Zombie Brands” on the shelves these days.

My math/statistics might be a bit rusty, but looking at that sales by hour chart, when percentages repeat across bars, that hints these devices might not be selling well.