Kodak C180 10.2MP Digital Camera

You really should read all the way to the end.

2AA Alkaline Batteries “In The Box”

:pc: Software Recommendation :pc:
Many cameras come with software but should you use it? NO.* There are much better options out there. You shouldn’t even put the Kodak CD in your computer - there’s no need to!

You should use the great Picasa 3 by Google. Picasa is amazing.

It is very light, FREE, up to date, and a dream to use. I used it before I bought Adobe Lightroom.

It can edit the photos, recognize faces, let you tag, upload to Picasa Web Albums, resize/compress, and more.

Watch the Picasa video!!!

*If you have a serious amateur or better camera like a Canon EOS then the CD will be helpful.

3X optical zoom, 5X digital zoom.

It has a real 3x zoom lens. If you zoom in as far as 3x, it will still be pretty sharp, and it will not be pixelated. It has 5x of “digital zoom” beyond that, for a total of 15x, which will be a bit unsharp the more you zoom in. You can disable the digital zoom in the menu.

4.7 stars on average via the Buzzillion reviewers.
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/kodak-c180-10-2mp-digital-camera-reviews

I very much prefer standard (disposable) batteries in cameras. If your camera comes with a rechargeable battery it typically has less energy than a standard and in a pinch, can’t be replaced easily (as in a gas station won’t have them.)

Personally, I like the idea of 2AA batteries because I already have a bunch of rechargeable AA’s for my household items. Wouldn’t hurt to buy a few more for a camera.

One caveat (which is typical of point-and-shoot minicams): I have a friend who has this) or a very similar model - I’m not positive), who reports that the action is sluggish - something like half a second passes between hitting the shutter and the photo being taken. That’s an obvious problem for action shots.

What is the speed between shots for this camera?

Broke my mom’s old 3MP cam, she’ll be happy to see this in the mail! Can’t beat it for the price.

Perfect gift for the Mommy to be.

<1.3 sec between shots until buffer full. Very slow. This is NOT a sports camera!
Not sure how big the buffer is.

Is the software compatible with MAC OS?

my sister has one of these.

pro: a Consumer Reports “Best Buy”.

con: seems to work a lot better with rechargeable batteries than with standard alkalines. using alkalines, the camera doesn’t last long before it says the batteries are low, but using a tester i discovered that the batteries still had ~80% capacity left, so… it must be that the camera has an unduly high voltage output threshold, and alkalines drop from 1.5V to right below what this camera wants before stabilizing, whereas rechargeables seem to stabilize at a slightly higher voltage.

Agreed. I’ve owned point-and-shoot cameras that had their own proprietary rechargeable batteries and it was a huge nuisance, especially out and about or on vacation. I’ll never own one again. (pro DSLRs being another story)

These C series Kodaks are great “Grandma” cameras–very easy to use for those who are technologically impaired.

i just got a kodak easyshare (c182) about a month ago after looking at this camera, which was being sold for $79.99. the easyshare was $99.99.

so tonight’s woot is a good deal.

the easyshare i have has 3x optical zoom and 12 megapixels. all in all it takes good quality pictures which can be blown up to over 24" without pixelation. i just needed a simple easy point-and-shoot, as i have a nikon and an old olympus that i use for “real” pictures. i use the kodak for snapping quick photos and keep it in my purse.

there is a slight delay when hitting the button like someone else mentioned but i don’t take action shots so it doesn’t matter. the only big complaint i have is the battery life is HORRIBLE! and by horrible, i mean the batteries are toast after using the camera 10 times for a minute or two each time.

also, i know the easyshare is a different model but it only holds 3 pictures without a memory card, but maybe that’s common with point-and-shoots, i don’t know.

i am satisfied though with kodak so far. easy to use camera (didn’t need to read the directions) and relatively high quality photos that can be easily adjusted using my basic windows picture gallery controls. no fuss no muss. just stock up on batteries.

Not worth getting. Digitalcameratracker.com rated this very low. It has a very poor picture quality and it sucks in low light settings.

I’m a photographer and I’ve found Kodak’s digital cameras to be vastly sub-par to Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, and Sony. They tend to process slowly, have limited options in terms of settings and control, and produce lower quality images.

Megapixels do not a good camera make.

Ah, that’s about as fast as it will shoot. The buffer specification means nothing at that speed. And that’s for non-flash pics. Using flash, about 3 seconds between shots with fresh batteries, longer as the batteries weaken.

This is just a nice basic point and shoot camera. The pics are nice quality, nicely sharp, nice colors.

“easyshare” is not one specific model of camera. AFAIK, all of Kodak’s point-and-shoot cameras are called “EasyShare”, including this one, even though it’s not mentioned on this Woot.